Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Impressed

Originally Posted by Tubbafatt
As a gen Z'r (I'm 21) I like to think there are still a lot of us that are interested in old iron. There will always be people who want to get in a car that they are in control of, not a computer, or just want to revisit the past.

So the hobby will definitely continue on some scale, of what size who knows. I've definitly got the bug and can't seem to get rid of it.
And based on your other threads, you have done a great job on your car. I am impressed. If you came up with those ideas yourself, and carried them out, you have a talent that you should use to make yourself a career in it, or something that uses that talent and eye for styling.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:33 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Disagree

Originally Posted by terry82
hard to get into a hobby that cost so much.the price to get started is huge. the price of repairs is huge .Its also a lot of work to maintain a old classic .Drag racing and nascar has lost attendance .Car dealerships have trouble finding people with the skills to change oil let alone work on the high tech cars they have now.
I am not sure I agree with anything you stated. Have you seen the prices for the modern classic cars, i.e. Civics, Scions, etc than young kids are buying and modifying to run better. Its all high tech, and high priced. I do agree there may be not as many gearheads, and I do not share the admiration for these new "sports" cars, slammed, with boom can mufflers and turbocharged screaming four cylinders.....BUT, I sure put these guy above kids who think a hobby is playing a video games every waking moment. Interestingly, when driving my 77 Vette, I get thumbs up from the modern gearheads...it gives me hope.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

When I was in high school, the student parking lot had on a daily basis; '62 Corvette, '55 Nomad, '40 Ford coupe; '39 Plymouth coupe, a few tri5 Chevys, Impalas, Chevelles, etc.
Todays High school parking lot is comprised of the 4 dr import cars.

When the youth of today reach our present day age, and they want what they couldn't afford when they were in High school, it will be those cars (if any interest at all exists).

As far as classic cars being priced out of reach, may in some cases be true, but the younger generation typically buy based on a monthly payment. Brand new cars are expensive, but with rebates, affordable monthly payments, make them the first choice. I've never financed a collectible car, but I imagine it is limited and more involved than a new car,

How many of us are searching for the brass/steam era cars?

The love we have for these cars are deep routed from dreams of our youth.

Simply put, the dreams of todays youth will not be for these cars.

As with anything, there are, and will be exceptions, but for the most part, we are literally a dying breed.
The following users liked this post:
speedracer2 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 05:50 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tokim
As with anything, there are, and will be exceptions, but for the most part, we are literally a dying breed.
Unfortunately that is true...and it has to do with far more than just our taste in cars. Woof woof.
The following users liked this post:
speedracer2 (10-18-2016)

Quick Reply: White hair's