Sponsored by:

1980 new exhaust system recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Sammyf4g
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1980 new exhaust system recommendations

I want to replace my stock (old and worn out) exhaust system with a new, better performing one. I need some recommendations. I am thinking about eliminating the catalytic converter (I live in Texas, so don't really need one) and going with dual exhaust all the way back. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. What and where to buy? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:18 AM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If your looking in buying a complete system and put it together yourself check out corvette central in exhaust section. Another option which is also cheaper is to bring your 80 to an exhaust shop and tell them what you want and also buy your own mufflers online first. Option #2 wouldn't flow as well being crush vs mandel bent or be stainless but wouldn't know the difference.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:02 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Take it to a performance muffler shop. I attempted to install a exhaust system purchased from a Corvette supplier on my 78 and the fit was terrible. One side lower than the other side. Very poor fit did not even seem to be made for the car. Very expensive to return too. Muffler shop did the exhaust for pretty much what it cost me to buy and return the system that was guaranteed to fit.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Sammyf4g
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Take it to a performance muffler shop. I attempted to install a exhaust system purchased from a Corvette supplier on my 78 and the fit was terrible. One side lower than the other side. Very poor fit did not even seem to be made for the car. Very expensive to return too. Muffler shop did the exhaust for pretty much what it cost me to buy and return the system that was guaranteed to fit.
That sounds like good advice. I will go this route. Now, what cat and mufflers do you guys recommend? Just looking for a street legal cruiser that rides and sounds nice.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:47 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammyf4g
That sounds like good advice. I will go this route. Now, what cat and mufflers do you guys recommend? Just looking for a street legal cruiser that rides and sounds nice.
IF you do not have to have the cat converters to register/drive in Texas,
B4 you do anything, verify THAT and also IF licensed muffler shops CAN legally remove cats and NOT REPLACE THEM..when they came on the car.
FED regulations prohibit licensed shops from completely removing cat converters..as I recall...dumb as that sounds..
IF you decide to change the exhausts..might as well go with some performance headers, true SS dual exhausts and oval mufflers...
I have older JBM headers on my '78.. SS true dual exhausts, w/mufflers, no H cross or Y..no catalytic converter. I had a friend who is a old pro welder and mechanic assist me..
In Oregon, I have SP tags/registration on my '78 so I never have to renew the plates nor go thru the emissions test BS.. Do the homework..decide who will assist and what you want to install change..Jim
Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Sammyf4g
Intermediate

Thanks everyone. I decided to keep the stock exhaust system and just replace the cat and mufflers. Maybe later I will replace the headers. For now, I bought a Magnaflow direct-fit cat and I'll go with Magnaflow mufflers.
The following users liked this post:
Magna_Flow (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 08:40 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Sammy, if you have any questions about our mufflers or sizing, please feel free to send us a PM when you are ready!

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 10-25-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:11 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Sammyf4g
Thanks everyone. I decided to keep the stock exhaust system and just replace the cat and mufflers. Maybe later I will replace the headers. For now, I bought a Magnaflow direct-fit cat and I'll go with Magnaflow mufflers.
I put the Magnaflow exhaust system on my '81 and I am very pleased. But I did eliminate the cat with a "test pipe."
The following users liked this post:
Magna_Flow (10-26-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 new exhaust system recommendations

Quick Reply: 1980 new exhaust system recommendations