Sponsored by:

What is this car worth??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:21 PM
87zz28
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this car worth??

So back around April I was with a friend at his family farm while wandering around I saw a car hidden away in a barn under a some tarps. The car I spotted was his uncles 1968 corvette. So we went in and poked around for a little. This car is currently sitting with a Doug Nash 5 speed, a blown up supercharged 350, it is black (not sure if its a true black car, I'm guessing not) With flared fenders, the pop up head lights are now integrated in lights and it has a lager than stock rear lip. Around 15-20 years ago the engine blew and it was put in the barn and has not been touched since. My father has had many c3 vettes but he is a purist and I have never really been exposed to the life style of modified c3s. he thinks its worth around 7k. I'm dying to have this car but I have no idea what it is really worth. I have a bare 350 block and a set of forged pistons that would work great with the blower set up so I have almost everything to make this car live again. So assuming the trans and rear end are good, the frame has not since rotted away and everything doesn't seem to far gone. what is a car like this worth? That's about all i currently know about the car know me and my friend are going to try and talk his uncle into selling me the car and I don't want to offend him with a stupid low offer and lose my chance of scoring this beauty.

Last edited by 87zz28; 10-19-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Is this car for sale? You don't say that it is. Talk to the owner and see what he says. A value for this car is meaningless if the owner does not want to sell.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-19-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:49 AM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If the car is in good shape (frame, body, birdcage, etc...) then it would be worth more than 7k as just a roller because its a chrome C3. A lot of the value, or lack thereof, depends on how aggressive the modifications were and if they were tastefully done.

Would really need to see pictures, but IMO you wont find an early C3 in good condition with built engine and OD trans swap for less then $25K. Factor out the fact its been sitting for a long time, the cost of a new motor, seals, and labor and you should be closer to the actual value. Just depends as there are a lot of variables to determine the value...and as Easy Mike said is it actually for sale and what does the owner want for it.

Last edited by CPTCroaker; 10-19-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:56 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Pics would definetly help. Just hope the frame and bird age are good
Old 10-19-2016, 09:50 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

With just his dessription, (blown engine, flared fenders, modified headlights, large rear lips) and sitting up for 15 years, I would say it may not be worth more than 7K, if that.

Questions:

1. How chopped up is the orginal car?
2. Is there anything left of the interior?
3. What is the value of a Doug Nash 5 Speed?

Pictures would be helpful,but from the desription of the car, it sounds like the OP might be purchasing a money pit. But i guess it is worth whatever someone is wlling to pay for it.

Originally Posted by CPTCroaker
If the car is in good shape (frame, body, birdcage, etc...) then it would be worth more than 7k as just a roller because its a chrome C3. A lot of the value, or lack thereof, depends on how aggressive the modifications were and if they were tastefully done.

Would really need to see pictures, but IMO you wont find an early C3 in good condition with built engine and OD trans swap for less then $25K. Factor out the fact its been sitting for a long time, the cost of a new motor, seals, and labor and you should be closer to the actual value. Just depends as there are a lot of variables to determine the value...and as Easy Mike said is it actually for sale and what does the owner want for it.

Last edited by crawfish333; 10-19-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:28 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 87zz28
So back around April I was with a friend at his family farm while wandering around I saw a car hidden away in a barn under a some tarps. The car I spotted was his uncles 1968 corvette. So we went in and poked around for a little. This car is currently sitting with a Doug Nash 5 speed, a blown up supercharger 350, it is black (not sure if its a true black car, I'm guessing not) With flared fenders, the pop up head lights are now integrated in lights and it has a lager than stock rear lip. Around 15-20 years ago the engine blew and it was put in the barn and has not been touched. My father has had many c3 vettes but he is a purist and i have never really been exposed to the life style of modified c3s. he thinks its worth around 7k. I'm dying to have this car but I have no idea what it is really worth. I have a bare 350 block and a set of forged pistons that would work great with the blower set up so I have almost everything to make this car live again. So assuming the trans and rear end are good, the frame has not since rotted away and everything doesn't seem to far gone. what is a car like this worth? That's about all i currently know about the car know me and my friend are going to try and talk his uncle into selling me the car and I don't want to offend him with a stupid low offer and lose my chance of scoring this beauty.
About 3 years back I paid $7200 for a 70 very similar to what you are describing.Take in consideration sitting that long it will take quiet a bit of $$$$ and time to get back on the road.Good luck
Wes
Old 10-19-2016, 10:32 AM
87zz28
6th Gear

The car is not for sale but I haven't even tried to talk him into selling it yet. But as I said when he is around this weekend I was going to talk to him and I want to have a number in mind of what it's worth about. I didn't get to look at it to good since it was buried in the barn and had tarps on it. It wasn't my car to be messing with so we only moved the tarps as much as we could. It has full interior still. I have seen the 5 speeds for around 2k but this one is old and not even sure if it's in good condition. What do you mean how chopped up is it?
This is the only picture have of it. Hopefully I'll have more this weekend.

Last edited by 87zz28; 10-19-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTCroaker

Impossible to say without an inspection, but speaking in general terms my numbers would be lower in both the above cases on an NOM coupe with body modifications.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:36 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

For what it would take to resurrect a corvette or any car its just not worth it unless its something special. Even if it was for FREE. You can find NOM C3 big blocks for under 20k. And here is a perfect example. A 69 Convertible 427 tripower car, $19990. I have no affiliation. They are out there. I would not pay 7k, don't even need to see pics. Just because there are lots of sellers overpricing there cars for sale does not mean they are worth it. The cars priced right will sell. Its a buyers marker and probably will be for some time.

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/ctd/5828625211.html

Last edited by ed427vette; 10-19-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
mrvette (10-23-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...The car is not for sale...I want to have a number in mind of what it's worth...
IMHO, if he considers selling, let him tell you what he will take.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:25 PM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Impossible to say without an inspection, but speaking in general terms my numbers would be lower in both the above cases on an NOM coupe with body modifications.

That's the problem with body modifications and why I left them out of my numbers. Really depends on the person and what appeals to them. Body mods to me usually feel so individualized they can be a serious detractor in the value. Based on the other answers though sounds like I am still high...good to know.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:27 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I just meant how much stuff had been removed and discarded from the car. I was thinking the guy may have wanted to drag race the car.
All of that stuff is replaceable, but at a cost. Think about how much the car will be worth when finished. Then try to figure out how much it will cost to get it the way you want it( be honest and remember things sometimes happen that drives cost up) Then add the proposed price of the car with the cost to build and compare this number to the value of the car when finished. That may give you the answer you are looking for.

What do you mean how chopped up is it?
This is the only picture have of it. Hopefully I'll have more this weekend.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:48 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
IMHO, if he considers selling, let him tell you what he will take.

You will most certainly "over-pay" if you don`t know where he`s at.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

1968 presents many challenges. The parts, alone, on my 1970 project are getting close to $15K.
The following users liked this post:
Faster Rat (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 PM
87zz28
6th Gear

I don't mind the body mods, I would leave the body how it is. I understand that i need to know where he is at on the price, I'm just trying to do my homework and know what is worth about. As I said considering the frame and bird cage are in good shape and with it running good what is it worth because I cannot find much to base a price off of. So the what its worth in the end minus what it will cost to get it there is difficult to calculate. Also I do not plan to buy it to flip I want a fun street car to play with. The car seems to be all there. I do not believe he drag raced it and it doesn't seem to be chopped up. I know a lot of the value in these years is in originality which this car does not have. I didnt plan on trying to make it original again, is 7k a fair price for it?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Akodo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Short answer, its worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. Ive seen people drop thousands on cars I wouldn't trade a bent coat hanger for. But, to more realistically answer your question, I would say 7k would be a steal. Heres what 7k will get you in MY neck of the woods...
https://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/5805462523.html
Old 10-20-2016, 08:36 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Welcome.

I'm sure by posting on here, you hope to educate/arm yourself with new found pricing information in order to make an intelligent, non-offensive, realistic offer, you both can live with. I get that.

Impossible to be accurate, without seeing car in person (rusty frame, birdcage, can turn it into a parts car). I would say it could range from $4K to considerably higher if zero rust, and you like the changes that have been made.

You can plug in '68 Corvettes in sold listings on E-Bay, which will give you an idea also.

Get notified of new replies

To What is this car worth??

Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

The door to fender gaps look good....That in itself doesn't mean the frame and birdcage are rust free but if the gaps were terrible it would be a pretty good indicator of rust issues.

The flares look good for being done 20 years ago or more.

The hood has been changed to the latter model longer version which eliminates the wiper door.

The building it's in looks like it's in good shape....Nice and dry.

If it was a true black car that would add some value except for the fact of the body mods that have been made.

Could be a nice project car......If the frame and birdcage are in decent shape.

I have no clue about value.....Good luck chatting with the owner, hope it works out for you.

Brian
Old 10-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I wouldn't speculate on what we think, more of what he thinks. $7k is a real steal with it all together and not in boxes. If the interior is all there and he didnt strip it for drag racing I think in my neck of the woods $10k is what people are looking for. Ask the uncle and see his price, is he negotiable or solid in his price, then start negotiating.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5833120802.html

http://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/5837488646.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5781591769.html

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5819998360.html
Old 10-21-2016, 12:14 PM
87zz28
6th Gear

Thanks for the help guys I'll let you know what happens this weekend with it. I was told he has bought and sold this car a few times, so hopefully he's willing to sell it again this time.

Last edited by 87zz28; 10-21-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: What is this car worth??