Sponsored by:

windscreen top sealant

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:33 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 293 Likes on 178 Posts

Default windscreen top sealant

replaced my "T" top rubbers before easter, all good there.
got caught out it a heavy downpour the other weekend, had water dripping in thru headliner area near mirror etc.
thought tops were leaking again, but when i removed them, the seal area was dry...
so i removed the interior side trim and headliner to let it dry out completely.
as i was looking around the area, i found the join between the chrome trim along top of windscreen had a gap,
looking further the orig sealant seams to be rotted, cracked, missing in places etc.

what's best to replace it with, silicone or "3M strip caulk" putty, other?

crop of photo i had on computer to show area
Old 10-19-2016, 10:05 AM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Leaks up there at the top of the windshield frame can get mighty ugly... Getting the trim off may prove difficult if things are rusted together (speaking from experience). Running your hand along the very top, INSIDE, of windshield may show things are good, or bring out flaking rust.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Harrow
Leaks up there at the top of the windshield frame can get mighty ugly... Getting the trim off may prove difficult if things are rusted together (speaking from experience). Running your hand along the very top, INSIDE, of windshield may show things are good, or bring out flaking rust.

The ONLY way to stop this and not have any problems due to rust getting worse. Is to take off the windshield trim at the windshield. lay apiece of tape across it and the wide stainless trim so you put it back on in the same place. Then remove or lift up the stainless trim on top of the windshield frame.

I do this every once and a while and have done many of them.

If you choose to do this I can refer you to some very good sealants that will stop this leak.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To windscreen top sealant

Quick Reply: windscreen top sealant