Sponsored by:

Exhaust system question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:00 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Exhaust system question

My 1978 Corvette has a true dual exhaust system with an "H" crossover pipe connecting the two sides. There is no catalytic converter. My question is there an advantage to having a crossover pipe? I have heard that it evens out the engine pulses from both banks of the engine and therefore, an advantage. As I recall back in the day, none of my previous performance cars with dual exhaust had crossover pipes, just two exhaust pipes back to the mufflers and tail pipes. What is the story on these crossover pipes. Is it an advantage to have them or not?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

'Google' can be your friend on questions like this.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&...+over+pipes+do

DUB
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (10-19-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by golfboy
My 1978 Corvette has a true dual exhaust system with an "H" crossover pipe connecting the two sides. There is no catalytic converter. My question is there an advantage to having a crossover pipe? I have heard that it evens out the engine pulses from both banks of the engine and therefore, an advantage. As I recall back in the day, none of my previous performance cars with dual exhaust had crossover pipes, just two exhaust pipes back to the mufflers and tail pipes. What is the story on these crossover pipes. Is it an advantage to have them or not?
A crossover pipe does a couple things. It reduces the backpressure slightly (usually freeing up a few horsepower) by evening up the exhaust flow through the pipes (minimizing the problem caused by cylinders 8&4 and 5&7 when they dump out their volume of exhaust gas so close in time into the same pipe). This reduction in pressure pulse magnitude also quiets down the exhaust note coming out the mufflers.

The closer the crossover is to the header collector, generally the better the results.

David Vizard is the guy who's done a lot of work on this stuff. Lots of good stuff in his books.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:05 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Who's got a pic of a c3 with an "x" pipe configuration installed.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust system question

Quick Reply: Exhaust system question