Sponsored by:

window help/79 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 05:49 AM
grumpyonetwo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default window help/79 Vette

Hello all this question comes from an Aussie, who needs some help fine tuning his power windows. When i try to close my windows/bring them all the way up, i end up with a gap between 1" to 1/2"? The motor is strong and i have had the door trim off and all rollers and tracks look good.when i hit the button to bring the window up the motor has no problem raising the window, but once it gets to about 1" from the top, the window seems to press against the rubber seal and just stops. Any info on how i can solve this problem/ fine tune the window will be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Bill.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:09 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

It can be a lot of things. One or both tracks may be adjusted too far inboard. One or both of the inboard "bumpers" may be worn or improperly adjusted. One or both roller tracks may be deformed (pay particular attention to the top "ears" of the tracks). The inner metal door may be deformed. The front pillar weatherstrip may be too far outboard.

Unless something is worn or bent following the instructions in the service manual should get the window tracking properly. If you still can't get it right, slightly loosen all adjustment bolts. Get a couple good-sized suction cups and a helper. One person goes in the car (door shut) and the other outside with the suction cups on the glass. The person inside raises the window to just the right level as the person outside holds the glass into position. The person inside then tightens all of the adjustment bolts.

I have a similar problem with the driver door on my '79. Despite many times attempts and every possible method I still can't get it adjusted just right. The door has to be open for it to make the last 1/4" - 1/2" of travel. I suspect the root of the problem is impact damage (nothing visible now) before I owned the car.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:07 PM
grumpyonetwo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
It can be a lot of things. One or both tracks may be adjusted too far inboard. One or both of the inboard "bumpers" may be worn or improperly adjusted. One or both roller tracks may be deformed (pay particular attention to the top "ears" of the tracks). The inner metal door may be deformed. The front pillar weatherstrip may be too far outboard.

Unless something is worn or bent following the instructions in the service manual should get the window tracking properly. If you still can't get it right, slightly loosen all adjustment bolts. Get a couple good-sized suction cups and a helper. One person goes in the car (door shut) and the other outside with the suction cups on the glass. The person inside raises the window to just the right level as the person outside holds the glass into position. The person inside then tightens all of the adjustment bolts.

I have a similar problem with the driver door on my '79. Despite many times attempts and every possible method I still can't get it adjusted just right. The door has to be open for it to make the last 1/4" - 1/2" of travel. I suspect the root of the problem is impact damage (nothing visible now) before I owned the car.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply, looks like i know what i will be doing this next long weekend. i had just about giving up on how to fix this problem

Bill.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: all the AIMs have a page of directions on how to adjust door glasses. Even after reading the directions and sequences a time or three, it's still a piddly, trial and error, business.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-27-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:10 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If the glass is hitting the rubber early then odds are you have the run channel adjusted to far outward... Out moves the glass in, and in moves the glass out..

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/1...-instructions/

If you can't get it by following the instructions below, then you might try getting some suction cups for the glass, holding it in place and then have someone inside the car to tighten the bolts. When we get one that is stubborn that's what we do.. and keep in mind that you want the front edge of the door glass about 1" from the weatherstrip and at the same time the top of the door glass will be about 1" from the T-top weatherstrip.. (I need to do a video of this... I just don't have the free time right now, my shop is hammered). Here are the adjustment screws.. but you should upload the pdf above it's got all the needed info.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To window help/79 Vette

Quick Reply: window help/79 Vette