Sponsored by:

1981 Rocker Channel & Body Mount Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

I also use the SEM general purpose adhesive to bond the headlight support beam back in. I like it because it is epoxy based and that alone in itself...when properly prepped and applied ...stops rust from developing. Once again...that is just me.

You lost me on the 'bumper clips'...post a photo of what you are referring to.

AS as for the reference pertaining to 'Texas' and 'Colorado'...it is referrign to the shape of those states...NOT the size of them.

DUB
the Lord Fusor also has the rust preventative formula

I thought he was saying big/small as in TEXAS everything is BIG .

the bumper clips I took for the bumper cover to body attaching pieces
Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM
nix1981
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

Yep... the shape more than the size! Easier to cut and weld strait edges. Colorado is nice and straight...Texas is all over. Both great States BTW! The bumper cover to the body is what I'm talking about. All those bolts either sheered off or I cut them off. That part was the biggest PIA!!! ZIP has a kit that has a bolt stud on a short piece of metal. I think it says that they are designed to work without the OE metal (riveted to the bumper cover that the studs were in originally). I just thought maybe some regular bolts would work??? If so, any thought on size??? Or I remove the rivets and use the clip things that ZIP has...

I'll have to do more research on the lord fusor and SEM products. I see a lot of people talk about the fusor (which is a two part?). I've been using the SEM primers and has been great so far. I'm going to lean on Again, thanks for all the input.

Believe it or not your comments and feedback releives some of the anxiety of trudging forward! Makes me feel that I'm not doing this alone!
guys as for what to use. That part will come soon enough for sure!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

AH , ok

The Fusor is a two part but you just need a normal caulking gun , it has a mixing tube that connects to it that does the mix (and what causes it to be so hard to push out ). like I said it works fine so far , been close to three years on my 77 .

is this what you are looking at for the clips,

http://www.zip-corvette.com/80-82-fr...ainer-kit.html

the ones I used were the longer flat bar with more studs on each one. Cant see why individual bolts wouldn't work ,except you have lots of individual pieces to fall out and get stuck in the wrong spot but that's nothing a bit of tape wont fix. maybe
Old 03-29-2017, 08:55 PM
nix1981
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

DUB These are the bolts I was referring to. Not sure of the easiest solution for reinstalling. The ZIP kit or just find some similar bolts? Either way, is it a good idea to drill out the rivets and tac weld som new bolts? I should mention that the braces seem to be in good shape. Its the last two bolts on each end that torqued off or starting spinning and needed cut off. The others seem okay but are rusty at the ends. I don't really want to reuse them. The rear has the braces but no bolts. Of all the the things needed to split the car, getting these covers off were the worst. I just hope its not as bad going back together.
Name:  photo445.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  1.02 MBName:  photo765.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  978.4 KB

Quick Reply: 1981 Rocker Channel & Body Mount Repair