Sponsored by:

Broken Starter Gear...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:01 PM
7Stingray1
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Broken Starter Gear...

So my dad has a 1971 corvette that has an aftermarket 502 block stroked to 540. We installed the engine almost 10 years ago and had the original starter rebuilt at the same time. In the last 10 years the car mostly sat and was driven less than 500 miles. During that time we never had an issue with the starter, no whine, no binding, nothing. Then last week we started hearing the starter spin but not engage the flywheel. At first, you could try again and the starter would catch. About three starts later,?all it does now is spin and not engage no matter how many times you try. So I dropped the starter and found this. Any idea what would cause this so suddenly? I already checked the flywheel teeth and they look good
Old 11-16-2016, 11:22 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by 7Stingray1
So my dad has a 1971 corvette that has an aftermarket 502 block stroked to 540. We installed the engine almost 10 years ago and had the original starter rebuilt at the same time. In the last 10 years the car mostly sat and was driven less than 500 miles. During that time we never had an issue with the starter, no whine, no binding, nothing. Then last week we started hearing the starter spin but not engage the flywheel. At first, you could try again and the starter would catch. About three starts later,?all it does now is spin and not engage no matter how many times you try. So I dropped the starter and found this. Any idea what would cause this so suddenly? I already checked the flywheel teeth and they look good
Possibly just a defective part but most likely just not shimmed right.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:07 AM
7Stingray1
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it wasn't shimmed right, wouldn't I have heard a noise or had issues prior to this? It just seemed like it went from perfect to catastrophic failure in about a week. Also I already have the starter disassembled, does anyone have any recommendations for a quality replacement manufacturer for a new starter drive?
Old 11-17-2016, 10:06 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by 7Stingray1
If it wasn't shimmed right, wouldn't I have heard a noise or had issues prior to this? It just seemed like it went from perfect to catastrophic failure in about a week. Also I already have the starter disassembled, does anyone have any recommendations for a quality replacement manufacturer for a new starter drive?
Looks like just the end of the bendix is broken.
No big deal - they're cheap and easy to replace.
Perhaps it locked up from lack of use over all that time.
The following users liked this post:
Calo69 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Starter

Looks like the engine was running when the Bendix gear was engaged. Check your wiring and your ignition switch. I would also check the starter ring gear on either the flex plate (automatic) or the ring gear on the flywheel (4-speed). I would also replace the solenoid. Good luck. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Starter Gear...

Quick Reply: Broken Starter Gear...