C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time buyer - What to look for?

Old 11-18-2016, 12:39 PM
VetteGuy?
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer - What to look for?

I'm going to go look at a '71 convertible tomorrow. I'm sure this has been addressed here before - but what should I be looking out for?

I've seen others mention the bird cage and frame. Is there any good way to size up the condition of the bird cage?

Is there anything else that I should be looking at that's common to these cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2016, 12:47 PM
robmccon
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome VetteGuy?! Check out this post on ten rules for buying your first C3. It's a little dated, but still relavent - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Tough to get a look at the birdcage, but 2 visible areas are looking around the edge of the windsheild with a flashlight. Also, if the kick panels can be removed (if the owner lets you), you can see the #2 body mounts.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Feel free to PM me, just went through this process a little over a year ago. Rob.

Last edited by robmccon; 11-18-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Additional detail
Old 11-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi VG?,
Welcome!
Considering a 71, VERY NICE!!!
You're right in placing importance in the condition of the frame and the body's birdcage. There's really no reason to buy a rusty 71.
If the car is completely together the areas of the birdcage that you can check are the sides of the windshield posts, especially in the are of the VIN tag on the left side post. You can look at the posts from the outside by looking through the windshield. You can also check the condition of the lock pillar to some degree with the door open.
The areas of the frame that are most vulnerable to rust is the area in front of each rear wheel. This includes the frame rail that runs below the rear of the door and the rail that 'kicks' up over the rear suspension. The condition of the frame is typically easier to assess because it's so much more visible.
If when you see and drive the car you continue to be interested there are some more involved ways to assess the birdcage's condition that you can pursue.
If you're not too familiar with 68-82 Corvettes you might want to take a few photos of the car; it's exterior, interior, engine compartment, and chassis. Posting those will get you lots of opinions on what the car appears to be.
Good Luck tomorrow!!!!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-18-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:46 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Check the chassis real good. Bring a screw driver and tap the frame. Give it a poke in the areas that usually get rusty. And if the chassis have undercoating or a coat of tar scrape it away and check underneath it.

I bought a 72 a few years ago. I checked it and got it home, went under the car and the frame had been undercoated. I started poking around and found that the guy had repaired rust out with sheetmetal and then undercoated it. My wife is a lawyer, we called him up and she spoke to him. I had my money back and he had his vette. Just be careful these are 45+ year old cars and have changed hands many times.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:22 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by robmccon
Welcome VetteGuy?! Check out this post on ten rules for buying your first C3. It's a little dated, but still relavent - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Tough to get a look at the birdcage, but 2 visible areas are looking around the edge of the windsheild with a flashlight. Also, if the kick panels can be removed (if the owner lets you), you can see the #2 body mounts.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Feel free to PM me, just went through this process a little over a year ago. Rob.
Curious why you think the post is dated? Just because it is from a few years ago?
Old 11-19-2016, 07:42 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Check the chassis real good. Bring a screw driver and tap the frame. Give it a poke in the areas that usually get rusty. And if the chassis have undercoating or a coat of tar scrape it away and check underneath it.

I bought a 72 a few years ago. I checked it and got it home, went under the car and the frame had been undercoated. I started poking around and found that the guy had repaired rust out with sheetmetal and then undercoated it. My wife is a lawyer, we called him up and she spoke to him. I had my money back and he had his vette. Just be careful these are 45+ year old cars and have changed hands many times.
Sad but true tale I heard many times over the past 40 years
Old 11-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

My only advice on buying a C3 would to be... There are many fine examples of the chrome bumper C3's around. You may have to wait to find the right one, but don't buy a rust rescue. You will spend time repairing and worrying rather than driving and enjoying.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

This video is somewhat long, and covers some very obvious things, but there are some good pictures that show how to spot some problems with C3s.

http://www.vettetv.com/ten-rules-for...a-c3-corvette/

Get notified of new replies

To First time buyer - What to look for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time buyer - What to look for?