Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever feel like giving up working on a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 AM
usmilret
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Will be going though a test drive today.
The storage compartment and rear carpet will be needing replacement. This is next on the agenda.
Will be needing another speedometer gear, I have to match the rear end gearing.
Will need to repair the cruise control as well.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:41 AM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Talk about giving up......I got another new 7" brake booster/master cylinder yesterday. This is the second 7" set up I've had. And, this is the 3rd time I've changed it. I changed it years ago, for a braking problem 10 years ago. Then just recently changed to the 7" booster for valve cover clearance, and now for a defective booster. I hate this job on this car. I'm old, I broke my back 5 years ago in a sand car accident, and I have bad knees form the military. Did I whine enough?? Hahaha
Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFVeteran
I'm old, I broke my back 5 years ago. I have bad knees form the military. Did I whine enough?? Hahaha
Some of us feel your pain, Man...I was only in the USAF for 4 years, made SSGT in 3-1/2, I had a good time, and at single & 19 when I went in.....I would do it again.

"I'm Old".....I don't think so...I AM OLD...turned 69 today, but I don't feel anywhere near that old....and I stay active..."workin' part time" by choice, & staying active doin' what I do on my '79 'Vette, including droppin' in a 400 hp engine next week!
Lucky I haven't broke my back....and haven't broke my spirit, not by a long shot!
The following users liked this post:
USAFVeteran (12-05-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:34 AM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by usmilret
I took on the car as a challenge and it is a challenge. I am finding out that takes a special breed of Corvette enthusiast to work on these cars. Like another poster said, "One bolt at a time".
I'm working on a challenge myself
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2016, 03:41 AM
usmilret
Instructor

Took the Vette out for a test drive today.

Brakes: The rear calipers will be needing O-ring seals.
Transmission will need a rebuild.
HVAC switch under the controls will need to be sorted out.
One headlight when on dim.

Hopefuls
Body prep and paint.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Anyone ever feel like giving up restoring a Corvette
Nope. Took some sage advice early on and chose to tear it apart in stages. Currently driving it occasionally on sunny days, listening for unusual noises and hoping something else doesn't go wrong. It is such a blast to drive and the temptation to mash the pedal to the floor is just too great to ignore. Purely addictive...never get tired of it.

Now, do I feel like giving up yard work? Yes. Painting and fixing the house? Yes.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 12-05-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM
suprkoop
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jr73
I'm working on a challenge myself
I made mine into a challenge on purpose...

Old 12-06-2016, 02:22 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by suprkoop

Quite successfully I might add. I don't envy you, and I will pray for you.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:50 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Ok now I know where I saw your name before suprkoop
You are the guy working on your car in that amazing shop.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,002 Likes on 687 Posts

Been there, done that... The car is going on 35 years and who knows what all the previous baba's have done to it. I've had my 82 for approximately 22 years and done a lot of restoration and mods over the years. Every time I felt like quitting and selling it, it would only take a quick power ride and everything was good again. Always a blast to drive. Keep at it, it will be worth it in the end.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:46 AM
usmilret
Instructor

The HVAC control system is a can of worms to sort out. Even with the best vacuum diagrams I cannot get it straight.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 AM
momo608
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Most people stumble through life and are too lazy to put the required years of hard work into being good at anything or accomplishing something noteworthy. That's enough to keep me going. I don't want to have to say when my time is up that I simply existed or wrote checks to avoid the hard work. It helps when you think everyone else work sucks and you have to do it yourself to be satisfied.

I think this is why some people say that family is the most important thing in their lives, gives them an excuse to do little or nothing themselves. People need to have a sense of accomplishment even if they have to lie to themselves to have it.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:35 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by akdale
Been through one complete restore on a 71 Nova so when I bought my vette it was one of those almost done cars. At 90% I got to do relatively simple affordable things. Someone else got to remove/replace body, paint, interior, compete drivetrain and some suspension. I got to tweak and complete and most of all I got to drive the thing. Kinda liked it this way
This is the plan I'm on at this point in my life too. No more major projects.

Drive and enjoy
Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I'm fortunate to be retired. I can spend a lot of time working on my C3 everyday. But the key for me is to just walk away from the car for a day or so after being frustrated or just plain burned out.

I always come back with renewed enthusiasm in a day or so.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

In my earlier years....I was a hard charging bull.....unstoppable. No project could tear me down.
Now I am in my mid 40's and want to enjoy my time as I wasted much of it banging on mine and other peoples junk.
I have not touched my Corvette since I broke the drivers motor mount three months ago......after spending thousands and detailing eaver inch of the engine compartment and suspension......my ambition is not there to jack it up and change the mount.
BUT............it will happen.........
The trick is to not let the fact that it is sitting there get to you......let it sit. It will be there when you get back.

Jebby
Old 01-04-2017, 03:47 AM
usmilret
Instructor

I want to say that there is such a thing as light at the end of the tunnel. My Corvette is now running great.
I am looking at small things to do to the car vs the big things.
The front bumper cover went on OK, Not perfect but OK.
The Transmission is shifting excellent, However I don't know if there was a previous shift kit installed or thats the way they come from the factory, she has a stiff shift from second to third. I initially thought that the transmission might have needed a rebuild. Now I don't think so.
I changed the rear end gear from a ridiculously high factory gearing to a middle of the road. This transmission shifts much better, much earlier in the RPM.
I am looking to prep the body for paint.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 AM
M. Young
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I want to say that there is such a thing as light at the end of the tunnel. My Corvette is now running great.
I am looking at small things to do to the car vs the big things.
The front bumper cover went on OK, Not perfect but OK.
The Transmission is shifting excellent, However I don't know if there was a previous shift kit installed or thats the way they come from the factory, she has a stiff shift from second to third. I initially thought that the transmission might have needed a rebuild. Now I don't think so.
I changed the rear end gear from a ridiculously high factory gearing to a middle of the road. This transmission shifts much better, much earlier in the RPM.
I am looking to prep the body for paint.
All I can say is I feel your pain. My '81 was a complete pile of sh_t when I bought it. Id take one part off to fix or clean it and four other parts would break or need to be cleaned and reassembled. I've probably put more money into the car than I'll ever get out of it but its mine and I'm starting to see the light a year and a half later. The TKO-600, Ride-TECH style adjustable rear suspension, Iron 3.55 rear end, FiTech breathing 406, gutted and replaced steering system, and completely restored interior helped with my anguish. Good luck!!

Get notified of new replies

To Ever feel like giving up working on a Corvette

Old 01-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Daily.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:00 AM
Taarzaahn
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by suprkoop

May I ask what is the head on the table? Straight 8 or a part of V16?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:57 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I've had strong feelings of giving up out of frustration. Whenever I start on a job, I prepare for it going completely wrong and if I have to just throw up my hands and revisit it the following weekend, then that's just fine. Only way I can keep my sanity.

This attitude is what got me through my T56 conversion last year. If I really lost my cool every time something went wrong I would have pushed it off a cliff long ago.

This is why you just don't see these cars on the road much anymore. When I bump into an enthusiast and talk about all the work I've done, I usually get huge respect points, which is nice.

Quick Reply: Ever feel like giving up working on a Corvette