Sponsored by:

Front rivet dimples.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by John 65
Yeah you want to go after those pesky rivets from the bottom.
I made this little cutter, nothing more than a shortened hole saw type drill without a pilot and put it in a small right angle drill to cut mine out.

With just a little effort, it cut the surface of the glass enough to pop out and release the rusted rivets, without breaking through to the top of the car.

After marking the location of the support, some Lord-Fusor adhesive
in the double tube caulking gun and its solid as a rock.

Used "C" clamps and some wood strips to flatten out the bumps in the glass. Left them clamped on over night and they were gone.

Sounds like good idea....but I assume you already had the metal support removed when you went in with your modified hole saw.

FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH:

If the customer chose to not want the bucked portion of the rivets staying. I remove the metal beam.

I then install a cutting tool in the flexible wand on my Dremel too. To set the depth of cut in the fiberglass bonging strip. I slide a collar on my cutting tool and only allow the required amount of cutting tool exposed....and start cutting. I never have to worry about cutting through the outer panel because the cutting tip of my tool is not able to get to it.

The collar is easily made by drilling a hole in the center of a 3/8" or 1/2" wood dowel. This 'trick' is something I used when building trailers and having to install the plywood interior panels for protection. NOT having my drill bit poke through the outer wall was a good thing when I would drill it out for the rivets.

DUB
Old 01-04-2017, 06:53 AM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

DUB, I am very interested in repairing my header panel. I have been looking at it for quite some time now and was hoping it would go away, Ha, fat chance. They are not that bad right now but I don't want to put this much work into this car only to have them show up later. I have the equipment and shop to do just about anything to the car so I don't mind taking on this job. I will have the body on a rotisserie so I hope that will make it easier to access. After I get the body mounted to the rotisserie I will get some pictures to you for your advice.

Ned
Old 05-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Jaye71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I also have the dimples on my 71. They haven't broken through the paint yet, but they are noticable. This is beyond my capabilities to fix. Does anyone have an idea on how much it would cost to get them fixed? My paint is in relatively good shape otherwise. Is this something that would require the front clip to be repainted?

Quick Reply: Front rivet dimples.