Sponsored by:

Alternator Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:52 PM
68vetteman
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Alternator Fuse

Just a quick question here. If I tap power from the alternator or the horn relay for headlight relays, does that line need a circuit breaker? The high and low beam will each have a separate 10 amp circuit breaker from a fuse box and relay.
Thanks, 68 Vetteman
Old 12-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

So the relays OUTPUT will be fused (Circuit breaker...protected) going to the headlights.

YES- especially if the distance from your power source (horn relay) is more than a few inches and could get cut /pinched or damaged.

Now the size of your beakers are probably going to be too small...

With stock bulbs 55/60Watt- each bulb is going to pull around 4A EACH so four of those running- the breaker will pop.

Richard
Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 PM
68vetteman
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard454
So the relays OUTPUT will be fused (Circuit breaker...protected) going to the headlights.

YES- especially if the distance from your power source (horn relay) is more than a few inches and could get cut /pinched or damaged.

Now the size of your beakers are probably going to be too small...

With stock bulbs 55/60Watt- each bulb is going to pull around 4A EACH so four of those running- the breaker will pop.

Richard
The relay outputs will have individual circuit breakers. The power source to the fuses is about 18" to a recessed area on the driver side inner fender. I can also go with 15 amp fuses.
68 Vetteman
Old 12-06-2016, 12:24 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I would fuse the power source to each relay right at the source. Then if there is a short between fuse and headlight you are covered. If you fuse downstream of relay you have no protection back upstream.
The following users liked this post:
mrvette (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:31 PM
68vetteman
Racer

Originally Posted by flyeri
I would fuse the power source to each relay right at the source. Then if there is a short between fuse and headlight you are covered. If you fuse downstream of relay you have no protection back upstream.
I think that is the way I planed the wires. A wire from alternator or horn relay, going to a sealed fuse box with automatic breakers, then going to the relays and lights. I think that is the correct way. If anyone has pictures to post that would be great.
68 Vetteman
Old 12-07-2016, 09:18 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 68vetteman
I think that is the way I planed the wires. A wire from alternator or horn relay, going to a sealed fuse box with automatic breakers, then going to the relays and lights. I think that is the correct way. If anyone has pictures to post that would be great.
68 Vetteman
I used two Bussman waterproof fuse holders from Advance Auto. I think I used an 8 gauge wire from the Alt to the horn relay bus. I like your idea of the fuse box. Probably looks cleaner. Do you have a link for the one you are going to use?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 PM
68vetteman
Racer

Originally Posted by flyeri
I used two Bussman waterproof fuse holders from Advance Auto. I think I used an 8 gauge wire from the Alt to the horn relay bus. I like your idea of the fuse box. Probably looks cleaner. Do you have a link for the one you are going to use?
I don't have a link, just a picture. I got this at Autozone. I'll make a cover and screw it down.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I used some modular combo fuse/relay holders.

Mounted them right next to electric headlight motors- I have a cover for them and went w/ the fuses that have a LEDs in them - light up when they are blown.

DSCN5160 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Since I have my electric fans- horns-electric headlights- upgraded 80/100 W and 100W headlights all powered up front- I have a battery post w/ 4GU that is fused at the firewall terminal.

DSCN5170 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Here's what I like to fuse bigger wires-

I went w/ 12GU from the relays to the lights

DSCN5143 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Also went with upgraded connectors for the headlights-

DSCN4923 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Fuse

Quick Reply: Alternator Fuse