Sponsored by:

B-Pillar Weatherstripping - 1969 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts
Default B-Pillar Weatherstripping - 1969 Coupe

Does anyone have decent photos or graphics showing the weather strip installation at the B-Pillar of the '69 Coupe?
Talking about the upper B-Pillar to the rear door glass interface area.
I purchased some replacement rubber pieces, which I know need to be glued on with the 3M adhesive.
When starting to remove the existing rubber, I am noticing a black metal retaining strip that is riveted to the body edge. I can't tell yet what the "layering" is for the parts in this area, as it looks like I need to remove the large quarter trim piece to get at the inside surface of that edge where the rivets are.
It appears that that metal strip edge, fits within a shallow groove in the long edge of the weather strip, but it's not clear if that metal piece needs to be removed in order to install the new rubber, or if I can tuck the new rubber under that lip into the rubber groove. (which is looking like a real challenge once the adhesive is applied and makes the parts real tacky and difficult to massage into place).
The AIM is very vague in this area.
And I'm not sure if I even have the correct new rubber, as there were Early, Mid, and Late versions available, with the bottom "J" feature of the "hockey stick" looking like the main differentiator in that area.
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by Bergerboy; 12-06-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi bb,
The metal 'retainer' is pop-riveted to the fiberglass body using 2 rivets.
The weather strip slips into the slot in the retainer and also uses weatherstrip adhesive.
There's typically one pop-rivet that runs into the weather strip from the body at the bottom of the weatherstrip.
Regards,
Alan

Lower pop rivet for weatherstrip.

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-06-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Bergerboy
Pro

Thanks Alan.
Hard to tell from your bottom photo. Is the pop rivet attaching the bottom of the weather strip, what is showing at the very top of your bottom photo (in the tan bird cage area)?
Or should I be looking at the 2 rivets in the black strip over to the left?
Does that go just through the rubber? Or is the retainer strip in the sandwich at that location?
Also, is it required to remove that metal retainer strip in order to remove and replace the weather strip? The groove in the new rubber is quite shallow, so it doesn't appear that the new one will have that much engagement under the retainer. But then again, I'm not certain I've got the correct replacement rubber.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi bb,
The black metal retainer can stay in place.
Only the bottom most of the 3 rivets passes through the weatherstrip.
Only one side, the forward side, of the weatherstrip slips under the 'lip' on the retainer.
Dry fit the weatherstrip in the retainer first to see how it fits. Then apply the adhesive, set the weatherstrip and install the bottom rivet.
Regards,
Alan

Another over-view.

Here's the location for the bottom rivet on my 71.

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-06-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Thanks Alan.
As always, you're a wealth of knowledge!
I posted 2 more photos of the right side rubber partially removed. At the bottom, there is a remaining metal strip with holes along it, that is still riveted in place. Was this originally molded into the rubber of the weather strip? My A-Pillar new rubber has those embedded at the top corners to screw down through into the body. My new B-Pillar rubber doesn't have a strip like this, only a dimple in the rubber where the fastener would go (I assume). Should I rivet through this rubber hole? Or should there be some kind of retaining layer as a reinforcement, like the A-Pillars?
Do I need to try to salvage the metal strip that is remaining from the original?
Also - It looks like the chrome strip across the back of the T-Top opening may need to be removed, as the existing rubber appears to be nested just under the lip of this molding. Does that sound correct?
Does anyone have experience with the difference between Early, Mid, and Late versions of the B-Pillar weather strips for 1969, and which apply to which build batches? I had considered mine a "Late", as it was built in July of '69.
("I got my first real 6-string. Bought it at the Five & Dime.......")

Get notified of new replies

To B-Pillar Weatherstripping - 1969 Coupe

Quick Reply: B-Pillar Weatherstripping - 1969 Coupe