Sponsored by:

Auto Door Lock/Unlock Linked to Automatic Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 06:55 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Auto Door Lock/Unlock Linked to Automatic Shifter

The remote keyless entry system I added to my '79 allows an automatic door lock/unlock feature but unlike any such factory feature it is not integrated with the shifter. Instead it merely locks the doors a few seconds after ignition power goes hot and unlocks them immediately after ignition power is gone.

When working in the engine compartment with the engine running the doors will lock. No problem unless the tops are in and the windows up At least that's only happened to me when I have a spare set of keys handy. Fortunately it won't lock the doors if you get out (engine already running) and close the door.

Yes, I can disable the feature but I'm one of those people who likes to have any possible feature working in a way I consider "the best".

Before I devise my own solution I must ask if anyone has a hack for the neutral safety starter switch or mounting suggestions for a simple switch (perhaps like used for the parking brake) that operates when the shifter moves out of and into "Park".

I should be making a big series of electrical upgrades this winter and I promise in advance to document things well for those who want to do similar. These will be electrical changes done the right way with new connections through the main firewall connection behind the fuse box, logical wire coloring, connectors at components (not hard wired), integration into the factory harnesses, etc.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey Mike-

I don't know what kind of keyless entry piece you are running...

Most have a speed sensor input and use that to lock the door- keeping the situation you described from happening.

My thought is to use your seat(belt) sensor to lock or keep the doors from locking.

Whereas only when you are sitting in the seat would the doors lock.

Richard
Old 12-08-2016, 04:50 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

My keyless entry system is Ready Remote Model #21994

The only adjustment it has for the lock/unlock is the duration of the pulse sent to the locks. With only a mechanical speed sensor I don't know how there could every be a vehicle speed input with a '79.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Door Lock/Unlock Linked to Automatic Shifter

Quick Reply: Auto Door Lock/Unlock Linked to Automatic Shifter