Sponsored by:

Fiberglass repair and the cold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Fiberglass repair and the cold?

I want to fiberglass patch the holes in my spare tire carrier over the winter. Will the cold effect the curing process of fiberglass. I have a kerosene torpedo heater that gets the garage up to 75-80 deg but I would turn off the heater while mixing & using fiberglass since thereis an open flame & I think the fumes are combustible!

So if I heat up the garage & the piece I'm working on, turn off the heater, mix the resin & apply the fiberglass mat will the curing process be effected by the cold. Once I kill the heat it gets cold rather fast as it's an un-insulated garage, if its really cold out side.

wife doesn't want me fiber glassing in the basement due to the smell.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:42 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Yes, temperature makes a big difference for the curing process. You need to add more hardener when fiber glassing in the cold. Do a test batch first, but I'd say try doubling the amount of hardener and see how long it takes.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

when I mix up a "hot load" as I call it (more hardener) does most of the chemical reaction/hardening process take place in those first few minutes of hardening or is it like concrete ie- if it dry's to quick the top cracks because the bottom hasn't set up yet?
I know its just a spare tire well but I want to make sure the new stuff bonds to the old stuff and stays put.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:10 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

One thing I like to do when it's colder is to use a heat gun to make the resin/hardener kick off.

It's amazing the difference a little heat will make in initiating that curing process.

Maybe DUB or somebody else will chime in with more advice.

Good luck with your repairs.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:58 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyndwood
I want to fiberglass patch the holes in my spare tire carrier over the winter. Will the cold effect the curing process of fiberglass. I have a kerosene torpedo heater that gets the garage up to 75-80 deg but I would turn off the heater while mixing & using fiberglass since thereis an open flame & I think the fumes are combustible!

So if I heat up the garage & the piece I'm working on, turn off the heater, mix the resin & apply the fiberglass mat will the curing process be effected by the cold. Once I kill the heat it gets cold rather fast as it's an un-insulated garage, if its really cold out side.

wife doesn't want me fiber glassing in the basement due to the smell.
First send wife shopping.I would recommend using a good quality resin and using the normal amount of gardner.A boat supply will usually have better than a hardware store.I find in cold setting a fan in front of the repair will help as it's a chemical reaction .
Wes
Old 12-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyndwood
when I mix up a "hot load" as I call it (more hardener) does most of the chemical reaction/hardening process take place in those first few minutes of hardening or is it like concrete ie- if it dry's to quick the top cracks because the bottom hasn't set up yet?
I know its just a spare tire well but I want to make sure the new stuff bonds to the old stuff and stays put.
Its not like concrete, its a chemical reaction so it all hardens at the same rate assuming you've got the hardener mixed in evenly.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:48 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 541 Posts

West System products at a marine supply place have different catalysts depending on the temp. And their set up is ALMOST foolproof, one squirt from each can ( different size dispensers already calculate out the correct amount). I would also look into an electric space heater of some kind. They are not cheap to run but I like the idea of no pilot light. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
CA_WxMan (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Why not not bring it in to the house in the basement if you have one. That's where I repaired mine last year. Also, I like to use a hand held blow dryer to help the curing along when it's colder. Just a thought!
Regards,
Jimmy
Old 12-10-2016, 11:51 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 781 Likes on 534 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Use a heat lamp to warm the area before and after the repair. BTW, the fumes aren't that bad, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:07 AM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
West System products at a marine supply place have different catalysts depending on the temp. And their set up is ALMOST foolproof, one squirt from each can ( different size dispensers already calculate out the correct amount). I would also look into an electric space heater of some kind. They are not cheap to run but I like the idea of no pilot light. Good luck.
I use West System for my stuff, but didn't realize they had different temp range catalysts like paints do with their different reducers.

Thanks for the tip.

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass repair and the cold?

Quick Reply: Fiberglass repair and the cold?