Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot bushing giving me a hard time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not that this has been mentioned....but I HOPE your pilot bearing is the CORRECT oilite bronze type and the pilot bushing is NOT magnetic...even though it may look bronze.

ALSO be really careful when you are installing your transmission and MAKE SURE you DO not, let it hang at any time. IF it does this can damage the clutch disc and warp it.

ALSO....I hope that when you get done and adjust the linkage and check to make sure the clutch releases. Crank the engine and hopefully you can shift into gear when the engine is running. IF you can not do this....then the problem is that the input shaft is still turning with the crankshaft EVEN THOUGH you have teh clutch peal pressed down....the input shaft turning is not going to allow your shifter to work. The shifter will feel like your are pressing it into a wall and it just stops.

BUT..once you turn off the engine...the shifter works and you can run through all the gears. Have it in gear and while pushing on the car...press down on the clutch pedal and the car will begin to move so you know the clutch is releasing. SO it is NOT the clutch...it is the pilot bushing binding on the input shaft.

SO be careful.

DUB
Old 01-14-2017, 08:41 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that this has been mentioned....but I HOPE your pilot bearing is the CORRECT oilite bronze type and the pilot bushing is NOT magnetic...even though it may look bronze.

ALSO be really careful when you are installing your transmission and MAKE SURE you DO not, let it hang at any time. IF it does this can damage the clutch disc and warp it.

ALSO....I hope that when you get done and adjust the linkage and check to make sure the clutch releases. Crank the engine and hopefully you can shift into gear when the engine is running. IF you can not do this....then the problem is that the input shaft is still turning with the crankshaft EVEN THOUGH you have teh clutch peal pressed down....the input shaft turning is not going to allow your shifter to work. The shifter will feel like your are pressing it into a wall and it just stops.

BUT..once you turn off the engine...the shifter works and you can run through all the gears. Have it in gear and while pushing on the car...press down on the clutch pedal and the car will begin to move so you know the clutch is releasing. SO it is NOT the clutch...it is the pilot bushing binding on the input shaft.

SO be careful.

DUB

Everything went together fine. Clutch linkage is set up. The trans didn't hang. The clutch was set up with the trans outside of the car. I won't be starting the engine for about a month. I still have to get some parts together. Beveled edge is out on the pilot bearing.

Now I hope it works when the car is running.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:55 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Put one in my 502 last night and then put the bell housing and clutch assembly together. Tried the trans and it wouldn't slide into the bushing. Took it out and bought another one. Put it in the freezer and then installed it, tried the trans again. Won't slide in. Read everything I could find. Any ideas.

Quick Reply: Pilot bushing giving me a hard time.