Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot bushing giving me a hard time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Pilot bushing giving me a hard time.

Put one in my 502 last night and then put the bell housing and clutch assembly together. Tried the trans and it wouldn't slide into the bushing. Took it out and bought another one. Put it in the freezer and then installed it, tried the trans again. Won't slide in. Read everything I could find. Any ideas.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Put one in my 502 last night and then put the bell housing and clutch assembly together. Tried the trans and it wouldn't slide into the bushing. Took it out and bought another one. Put it in the freezer and then installed it, tried the trans again. Won't slide in. Read everything I could find. Any ideas.
The clutch disc is slightly off center....binding it up at the spline when you install.......
See if somebody has a cutoff input shaft you can borrow to center it up if you are not already using one.....the clutch tool that comes in most kits is garbage......

Jebby
Old 01-12-2017, 11:07 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
The clutch disc is slightly off center....binding it up at the spline when you install.......
See if somebody has a cutoff input shaft you can borrow to center it up if you are not already using one.....the clutch tool that comes in most kits is garbage......

Jebby

The problem is when I try to put the shaft in without anything on the flywheel. It still won't go in. I am going to clean it up inside with a grinding stone and see what happens. I saw it in a thread on here when I was searching. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The problem is when I try to put the shaft in without anything on the flywheel. It still won't go in. I am going to clean it up inside with a grinding stone and see what happens. I saw it in a thread on here when I was searching. Thanks.
Have you tried the bushing on the input shaft to check the fit before you installed it ? Perhaps a bellhousing alignment issue ?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ryan Menzies
Have you tried the bushing on the input shaft to check the fit before you installed it ? Perhaps a bellhousing alignment issue ?

Yes I did. Slide on and off very easy. So did the first one. I am working on the bell housing issue now.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Ah.....your first post said with clutch
Maybe the input is slightly mushroomed....I agree, stone it.

Jebby
Old 01-12-2017, 12:41 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Had the same issue with my 4 speed swap. I ended up ( not recommending it ) bolting the trans in and letting the bolts pull it in
Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 PM
540 vette
Race Director

If I jiggle it it slides in.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

If I jiggle it it slides in.
I hope you are talking about your input shaft
Old 01-12-2017, 04:03 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I hope you are talking about your input shaft

That one to.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:30 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Go to the crank shaft pulley bolt with a strong arm and turn the engine slightly... It sounds to me as if you have a splining issue and that might cure it.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Go to the crank shaft pulley bolt with a strong arm and turn the engine slightly... It sounds to me as if you have a splining issue and that might cure it.

I'll try that. What do you mean by splining issue.With the engine on the dolly it went in when I jiggled it. You know when I do it under the car it will be a pain in the butt. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

I'll try that. What do you mean by splining issue.With the engine on the dolly it went in when I jiggled it. You know when I do it under the car it will be a pain in the butt. Thanks.
So Flywheel on the engine and NO clutch assembly, jiggling the trans will allow you to slide the trans in flush to the bellhousing or is the bellhousing installed on the transmission and then trying to install the trans/bellhousing assembly onto the back of the engine ?

Also, I think Willcox is assuming that you have the clutch on the flywheel as well. Spline issue he is referring to is the clutch disc to input shaft splines (I believe.)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 PM
540 vette
Race Director

So Flywheel on the engine and NO clutch assembly, jiggling the trans will allow you to slide the trans in flush to the bellhousing or is the bellhousing installed on the transmission and then trying to install the trans/bellhousing assembly onto the back of the engine ?

Also, I think Willcox is assuming that you have the clutch on the flywheel as well. Spline issue he is referring to is the clutch disc to input shaft splines (I believe.)

I set up the clutch with the trans. The trans wouldn't go in just the flywheel.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

I set up the clutch with the trans. The trans wouldn't go in just the flywheel.
Huh ? I'm confused.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:05 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Huh ? I'm confused.

When I set up the clutch I used the trans instead of the aligning tool they give you. I had the engine on a dolly. At that time I had cleaned up the inside of the pilot bushing so the trans now slide in.

The trans wouldn't go in just the flywheel, I meant it wouldn't slide into the pilot bushing. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:10 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

Could the bearing retainer be hanging up in the bellhousing flange? Sometimes having someone press the clutch pedal while you push it in that last little bit will work, if it is indeed a spline issue.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 01-13-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pilot bushing giving me a hard time.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Could the bearing retainer be hanging up in the bellhousing flange? Sometimes having someone press the clutch pedal while you push it in that last little bit will work, if it is indeed a spline issue.
The bearing retainer was also a problem. I had to clean that up to get it to fit. All new parts nothing fit right.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:43 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

The pilot bushing has a beveled edge that faces the transmission. Is it installed correctly?

Make sure the clutch disc moves easily over the transmission input shaft before you continue.

Use a clutch tool with splines to set the clutch disc. Before you tighten the pressure plate bolts, and the clutch plate will move with the clutch tool, notice that the clutch tool has some play. That is to say that you can move the clutch tool somewhat due to the slop involved.

Move the clutch tool so that the disc is centered on the tool and the same amount of slop exists at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. Tighten the pressure plate and make sure the tool will go in and out of the disc with very minimal friction. Put a small dab of grease on the inside of the pilot bushing, excess grease will cause a hydro lock and prevent the pilot shaft from entering the bushing.

Use a large floor jack (try to avoid one of those chinsy "trolley jacks") or transmission jack to install the transmission. Set it up so that the transmission is supported, at a similar angle as the engine, most importantly, make sure that the transmission moves easily on the jack,allowing up, down, left and right movement as you insert the transmission.

Should go easy easy as pie...
Old 01-13-2017, 10:55 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

How are you supporting the transmission? My strategy and others around here is to cut the head off of four long bolts and screw them into the bellhousing. This provides a nice guide path. Not perfect but close. You only want a bolt with a short length of thread and the rest smooth. Also I cut a slot in the end so I can get them out with a screwdriver. A bit of setup work but definitely makes the job go more smoothly. If you want more info about what size bolts, I can head out to the garage and see what I have.

Quick Reply: Pilot bushing giving me a hard time.