Sponsored by:

The H3LL with it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 AM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default The H3LL with it!

Did anyone ever put in new interior pieces and find out they didn't fit right? I'm putting in a new bezel and the thing is fighting me all the way. I finally said the hell with it and drilled new holes for the whole thing to fit! I don't know if I should have done that but it was the only way to get the damn things to fit together!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:43 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Which bezel?
Old 01-14-2017, 09:45 AM
mpro71vette
Pro

Originally Posted by jnb5101
Which bezel?
Radio/gage bezel
Old 01-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 72,
The reproduction (and even original) center gauge bezels can be VERY difficult to install WELL.
I believe the positions of the shifter console, upper dash pad, and left and right lower pads control the bezel's fit.
To install a new bezel really requires that the console and pads be loose so they ALL can be aligned in sequence as their screws are gradually tightened in sequence.
NOT an easy job!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mpro72vette
Did anyone ever put in new interior pieces and find out they didn't fit right? I'm putting in a new bezel and the thing is fighting me all the way. I finally said the hell with it and drilled new holes for the whole thing to fit! I don't know if I should have done that but it was the only way to get the damn things to fit together!
I fought mine and finally called in a guy in his 60s who had done several of these. He sat back put one foot on it and as I moved it around he pushed it with his foot. I was shocked but he said thats about the only way. I went in place!
The following users liked this post:
pdx-vette (01-15-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:13 AM
mpro71vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 72,
The reproduction (and even original) center gauge bezels can be VERY difficult to install WELL.
I believe the positions of the shifter console, upper dash pad, and left and right lower pads control the bezel's fit.
To install a new bezel really requires that the console and pads be loose so they ALL can be aligned in sequence as their screws are gradually tightened in sequence.
NOT an easy job!
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan, one screw on the side didn't go on so I drilled a new hole in the side console. Everything is even except that one hole didn't line up. I also have the 2 screws on the bottom of the console to short so I can't get the nuts on.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:15 AM
mpro71vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Mikesfreetime
I fought mine and finally called in a guy in his 60s who had done several of these. He sat back put one foot on it and as I moved it around he pushed it with his foot. I was shocked but he said thats about the only way. I went in place!
I tried everything to push it in, of course having vintage air doesn't help!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:24 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

bump Anybody have to drill their own holes to make the interior fit?
Old 01-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

No drilling for me last month to button my '69 up.
But, as Alan advises (always listen), best way is to loose assemble all the parts around the perimeter of the center bezel, then get ITS screws started in their proper holes, then go around and tighten everything up.
Trickiest part for me, was those 2 studs at the bottom of the bezel that get attached to the slots in the front of the console.
Those should have the nuts hand started on them first, then slip them into the slots, with the nuts on the underside of the slots (I also added a washer on either stud to help sandwich the console slots securely).
I also had a previously broken bezel frame at the right side area where it angles and is thinnest. Epoxied this together with a popsicle stick "splint" on the outside. After painting over the joint, it doesn't look half bad.
The bezel got a complete cleaning and repainting while out, so the whole thing looks really nice now, especially with fully functioning gauges now, and LED bulbs throughout!
mpro71vette (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikesfreetime
My 78, the center console requires two people or for me to get really pissed off to install it. The pillars that it mount to seem to pull the center console away from the gauge stack. So I loosely mount the center to the pillar and then move the whole thing towards the gauge cluster to start and tighten the last two screws...

I *really* hate working on the interior of the car.
mpro71vette (01-15-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 11:28 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Somebody here, sometime ago said that this:

"I'd rather have a colonoscopy than pull the dash on a C3"

Or something to that effect. They are a real PITA. Regular Chevy's have some kind of solid underpinning for the dash pad, but on the C3, it seems that all four of the dash pieces rely on the other pieces for support!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:23 AM
Taarzaahn
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all "support" in this matter:P I just took down mine to fix the center and middle consoles and to take that down I also had to remove the right side and the left was because I need to change the speedo to km/h instead of miles.
By the way anyone have any good idea how to get the old paint of the center console and bezel with out scratch them?

Last edited by Taarzaahn; 01-17-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:55 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I hope I never have to pull the dash on my car again...

the fit/install was awful when I got it, better once I reassembled it, including drilling a new mounting hole or two along the way.

Top left corner of the gauge bezel still sticks out a little bit but not so noticeable now.

mardyn
Old 01-17-2017, 07:24 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

I believe Mr Alan is correct, again. I have been doing some resto mod stuff in my 78, trying to morph a c4 console into the c3. Don't ask why....It is amazing to me how the various pieces can move. And don't forget the screws at the back end of the console. That lets it move fore and aft which might be what you need. I actually ended up putting the 2 screws at the bottom of the center panel in first, to hold the 2 pieces together, then started moving the dash around. Good luck to you.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:25 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Originally Posted by mardyn

the fit/install was awful when I got it, better once I reassembled it, including drilling a new mounting hole or two along the way.

Top left corner of the gauge bezel still sticks out a little bit but not so noticeable now.

mardyn
I feel your pain! I think mine would have been crooked if I was able to use the original hole. I drilled one but it looks totally straight.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by mardyn

mardyn
From what I understand, that top left corner sticks out on a lot of C3's even from the factory. Supposedly some problem with them coming out of the mold.

Get notified of new replies

To The H3LL with it!

Quick Reply: The H3LL with it!