How to Remove Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Mike Plummer
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default How to Remove Undercoating

A prior owner had my car undercoated. Anybody have a good technique on how to remove it? Thanks
Old 01-15-2017, 04:46 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Plummer
A prior owner had my car undercoated. Anybody have a good technique on how to remove it? Thanks
You didn't mention what year car that you have . Removing undercoating from fiberglass is different from steel . It seems to bond to steel better than fiberglass. It usually can be scraped off of fiberglass with an ordinary putty knife on flat areas . May have to remove it on curved areas like wheel wells with a small fine wire wheel then lightly sand the areas.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:20 PM
Mike Plummer
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

It is a 1996... I'll give it a shot..

Originally Posted by bj1k
You didn't mention what year car that you have . Removing undercoating from fiberglass is different from steel . It seems to bond to steel better than fiberglass. It usually can be scraped off of fiberglass with an ordinary putty knife on flat areas . May have to remove it on curved areas like wheel wells with a small fine wire wheel then lightly sand the areas.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:52 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I removed the factory undercoating with a heat gun and putty knife. I used the lowest setting and a thin, flexible knife. Once I was done, there was a thin, brown residue left behind that cleaned up nicely with lacquer thinner.

MajD
The following users liked this post:
Mike Plummer (01-15-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 04:15 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Plummer
I think you are going to find that because of the variety of materials used, you'll have a bag full of techiques to remove undercoating depending on its location. Over the weekend at Lakeland, I was looking at a 78 that had been undercoated but only randomly did a previous owner work to remove it from all areas...and it becomes evident. While we typically think of frame (metal)and underbody (fiberglass), there was a four-speed where the "residue" persisted while the fuel lines in the wheel wells still revealed evidence of undercoating overspray.

Its tough but the suggestions above offer a start. The bottom line...finish gets removed.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

My 82 was sprayed with undercoat at the dealer...originally an Ohio car. It's neat to see some of the tape marks around the wheel wells. Also, the car was obviously running when they sprayed it as the fan blades have some over-spray as well as the underside of the hood. I consider it "period correct" at this point , LOL and decided to leave her as is with original paint, body stripes and undercoat!

Get notified of new replies

To How to Remove Undercoating

Quick Reply: How to Remove Undercoating