Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Fuel Line or Not to Fuel Line?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:10 AM
nix1981
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts
Default To Fuel Line or Not to Fuel Line?

Hi,

While I've got the body off my 81 I thought I'd put new fuel lines in. The take is about 1/2 full of fuel and I didn't know if messing with any of the lines would be an issue? Particularly the hoses where they connect to the sending unit. Before someone chimes in and says replace and paint everything...it's NOT a show car. I just thought a few areas looked rough and while it's easy to get to why not do it...probably will end up doing the brake lines too. So, any issues doing this? I want to replace all three lines. Also any particular vendor better than others??

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:37 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by nix1981
Hi,

While I've got the body off my 81 I thought I'd put new fuel lines in. The take is about 1/2 full of fuel and I didn't know if messing with any of the lines would be an issue? Particularly the hoses where they connect to the sending unit. Before someone chimes in and says replace and paint everything...it's NOT a show car. I just thought a few areas looked rough and while it's easy to get to why not do it...probably will end up doing the brake lines too. So, any issues doing this? I want to replace all three lines. Also any particular vendor better than others??

Thanks!
Changing the fuel lines now is easy. No issue at the tank. I would pull the sender and change the filter sock. They disintegrate after 30 years.
The "S" hoses at the pump will flow, but with the body off you can do this while the sender hoses are off. Use a can to catch that pint and stick it back in. I suggest "The Doc" for these "S" hoses. Mine are 10 years old and fine. Another vendors hoses cracked in 1 year.
As for the brakes hoses, use the SS braided lines. Far superior.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:19 AM
lakerider57
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I would pull the tank and inspect the underside. On my 1980, the top of the tank was pristine as a new tank, which I was expecting to reuse, but when I took it off and inspected the part where it sits on the cross-brace, it was rotted out on both corners.

You can only see this rot, if you remove the tank. So, I would recommend you remove the tank and at least inspect the underside.

Richard
Old 01-17-2017, 11:05 AM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Same thing with mine. My tank looked great from above. When I took it out there was a lot of rust i couldn't see and a small amount of gas leaking out. I was surprised for sure.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

81 has a plastic bladder. I wouldn't freak out unless its leaking. Very doubtful.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 PM
lakerider57
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
81 has a plastic bladder. I wouldn't freak out unless its leaking. Very doubtful.
My 1980 tank has the hard plastic bladder also and all my gas eventually leaked out. Probably a pin-hole leak caused by the rotted corners. Again, I would highly recommend inspecting it before hooking up the lines.

Richard
Old 01-17-2017, 12:44 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the fuel lines are not significantly rusty on the outside and the engine has been running fine, why would you need to change them? If you just want them to look "purty", clean them up on the outside and shoot them with clear enamel.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:46 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

I think it is imperative to at least replace all the rubber hoses that are attached to the gas tank. I believe they are the most overlooked maint. Items on old cars.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:54 PM
nix1981
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies! I'm thinking I'll probably go ahead with this...it's only a few hundred dollars and it seems like a bargin with the body off and everything is so accessible. I'll take another look at the take but it really seems to be okay. The fuel vapor line is the in the worst shape ( the "S" bend by the tank).

The fuel line and return line are in better shape and are also worst at the same "S" point by the tank. While replacing the lines is there anything special that needs to be done other than un-thread old and thread on new? I just don't want to simply do that get everything together only to realize I missed a critical step.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:35 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I just don't want to simply do that get everything together only to realize I missed a critical step.
as already mentioned the fuel filter sock in the tank is usually gone by now. definitely all rubber lines.
maybe even trailing arm bushes , sway bar bushes, a arm bushes

it will be a nice and solid car when your finished with it
Old 01-18-2017, 10:46 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Also any particular vendor better than others??

Thanks!
http://www.cssbinc.com/corvette-fuel-lines.aspx
The following users liked this post:
nix1981 (01-18-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:05 AM
nix1981
Burning Brakes

Just to close this, I did decide to replace the fuel lines and brake lines. I could have probably gone a bit longer (some areas look pretty rusty) but it seemed to make more sense to do now while the body is off.... I think it's going to be MUCH easier to boot! I called CSSB (as recommended by Big2Bird) and they hooked me up and were fantastic to work with! Thanks for all your feedback on this!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:17 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Why wouldn't you change the fuel lines. You have the body off. Invest the $80 and get the new lines.

I just bought a 72. I changed the whole brake system, the front suspension and the fuel lines. I did the same thing on the 80 I just sold. Why? These are old cars and you don't know what someone has done to these parts in the past or what condition they actually are in. At least with changing out those parts you know they are all new and you are the only one to blame if something goes wrong. The steering and the brakes may one day save your life. I want to know they are going to work.

Get notified of new replies

To To Fuel Line or Not to Fuel Line?

Quick Reply: To Fuel Line or Not to Fuel Line?