Sponsored by:

Building a 76 for my dad

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:47 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Building a 76 for my dad

Thought Id finally join the forums here after sourcing some good info from here while Ive been building the 76
About mid summer of '15, it was time to replace the tired old 350, replace the cracking urethane front clip and get rid of the eye sore of the sunken headlights

Decided to go with a Skip White 383 stroker dyno'd at 486HP, and got the TH350 rebuilt with a manual shift body.

Up next was to get piece together and source parts to rebuild the stock lights. Decided to go electric to flip the lights up since the only vacuum pull off the motor is crank breather and brake booster.
Also the start of fitting, preping and painting of the new fiberglass front clip

Fresh paint! first time laying paint in a while, was like riding a bike lol

Now for the current stage of the build. All started because I noticed the front differential mount was broken on the frame and snowballed from there.
Since mostly everything was coming out, we decided to up the stock gearing to 4.11 and replace all of the suspension with Ridetech's strong arm/coil over system. Turned out to be a much needed move because all of the stock components were completely seized! only movement was in the rubber bushings lol

Ill update more as I go. Im currently waiting for the bracket so i can weld the front mount onto the frame before everything goes back in. Corvette America says later this month it should be in

Last edited by STIL2LOW; 02-16-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Not sure why all the pics doubled like that, my bad lol
Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

You have a psuedo corvette summer hood but thought the recessed headlights were the eye sore..i couldnt resist...i thought they flowed well with the rest of the mods...looks like a good build and fun car, hope dad likes it....
Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice job
Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The13Bats
You have a psuedo corvette summer hood but thought the recessed headlights were the eye sore..i couldnt resist...i thought they flowed well with the rest of the mods...looks like a good build and fun car, hope dad likes it....
The guy my dad got the car from was a glazer and did a lot of random work to the car. Wasn't sure if the hood was a complete or he glassed it himself. Either way dad wanted to keep the hood, which made it a chore to find a suitable breather that would fit under the hood
The guy also glassed in some plexiglass on the t tops and the rear wing moulded in. The rear wing is going to be another project down the road because it is starting to crack from the vibration of the motor lol
Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by STIL2LOW
The guy my dad got the car from was a glazer and did a lot of random work to the car. Wasn't sure if the hood was a complete or he glassed it himself. Either way dad wanted to keep the hood, which made it a chore to find a suitable breather that would fit under the hood
The guy also glassed in some plexiglass on the t tops and the rear wing moulded in. The rear wing is going to be another project down the road because it is starting to crack from the vibration of the motor lol
Likely just poor glass work made it crack i have seen some radical engined customs not crack, you will have fun fixing it...

On the hood i simple can not see the pictures very good but korky who did the corvette summer car made many versions of that hood scoop idea,
This is his girlfriends car,

But vanacors now defunct offered a hood they called corvette summer it was different to the movie car, from the crappy catalog picture looks to me might be whats on your car...hard to tell, and i never saw the vanacor hood in person...but i dont believe it added any usable room.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Likely just poor glass work made it crack i have seen some radical engined customs not crack, you will have fun fixing it...

On the hood i simple can not see the pictures very good but korky who did the corvette summer car made many versions of that hood scoop idea,
This is his girlfriends car,

But vanacors now defunct offered a hood they called corvette summer it was different to the movie car, from the crappy catalog picture looks to me might be whats on your car...hard to tell, and i never saw the vanacor hood in person...but i dont believe it added any usable room.

Never said he was a good glasser hahaha. The guy had neat ideas, just not very good at applying them. The sunken headlights for instant had deck screws and drywall screws holding them in and a cut garden hose to be used as a spring retainer on the adjuster screws lol

But ya that would be the hood! Its not very well done, thus why I thought he may of made it. Has so much wave to it, drives me nuts each time I walk by it
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by STIL2LOW
Never said he was a good glasser hahaha. The guy had neat ideas, just not very good at applying them. The sunken headlights for instant had deck screws and drywall screws holding them in and a cut garden hose to be used as a spring retainer on the adjuster screws lol

But ya that would be the hood! Its not very well done, thus why I thought he may of made it. Has so much wave to it, drives me nuts each time I walk by it
As i recall this hood was near the end of their run, Vanacors had some weird things go down before the busness closed like murders and building fires but being a custom fan i was sad to see them go, but did hear many times quality was hit and miss,
at your leisure please take a couple good shots of the hood for me, in and out,

I hate to say it but there has been some crappy hack job custom work out there, didnt help that big names would use plaster and chicken wire on one offs...so its a careful fence i walk hating hack jobs yet not wanting to insult big names i love and respect.

I believe you will build dad a humdinger.

Last edited by The13Bats; 02-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:59 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

As i recall this hood was near the end of their run, Vanacors had some weird things go down before the busness closed like murders and building fires but being a custom fan i was sad to see them go, but did hear many times quality was hit and miss,
at your leisure please take a couple good shots of the hood for me, in and out,

I hate to say it but there has been some crappy hack job custom work out there, didnt help that big names would use plaster and chicken wire on one offs...so its a careful fence i walk hating hack jobs yet not wanting to insult big names i love and respect.

I believe you will build dad a humdinger.
That's pretty wild, might have to read up on them. But I'll for sure get some better pics of the hood for you, I'll be in the shop tomorrow building the coil overs and couple other parts for my jeep.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:54 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Got a couple quick pics, weather wasnt all that nice to pull the C5 out and lower the Stingray down.
If there is any specific shot you would like let me know

Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

It's good that you decided to join the Forum and post some pics.....keep them coming!

Old 02-19-2017, 09:36 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Looking good! May I ask what paint was used?
Old 02-19-2017, 04:10 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Thanks for the extra pictures...so weird to build a custom scoop set up that basically adds zero usable room, all it does is perhaps lets air in or heat out, lack for space might force dad to change it some day
Old 02-19-2017, 07:34 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Thanks for the extra pictures...so weird to build a custom scoop set up that basically adds zero usable room, all it does is perhaps lets air in or heat out, lack for space might force dad to change it some day
Yeah definitely just a heat exchanger style hood. Dad wanted to keep the hood on since it being corvette summer style and he never seen one before. One of the reasons he actually bought this car was for the hood
did provide me a challenge tho in order to keep it. Had to research like crazy and talk to quick fuel to try and find a air cleaner that would clear the carb and stay low enough for the hood.
Ended up with a old mr gasket that I still had to mod. I believe it is restricting the motor some but until I find a better replacement it will have to do for now

We do have a Daytona hood for the car as well, so if we take the car to the strip I'll swap the hood and get a larger cleaner on the motor
Old 02-19-2017, 07:37 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Looking good! May I ask what paint was used?
Thanks! It was nason from Napa here in Canada. Hi vol urethane paint, layed down awesome
Old 02-19-2017, 08:38 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Is it a blue-green colour or just green?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Is it a blue-green colour or just green?
its green, Ford metallic pacific green. Has crazy amount of flake in it
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (02-20-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Building a 76 for my dad

Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Nice job so far.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:46 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I hope you have solid steel motor mounts in there. You wouldn't want the engine to move and damage that hood.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:37 PM
STIL2LOW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
I hope you have solid steel motor mounts in there. You wouldn't want the engine to move and damage that hood.
Haha I've trimmed it down from this pic. This was when I was first fitting the cleaner and trying to see how much clearance I had

Quick Reply: Building a 76 for my dad