Sponsored by:

New guy rescuing a '75 ragtop

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:14 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default New guy rescuing a '75 ragtop

Hello everybody. I am new to the forum as a member, but have been viewing as a visitor for quite a while.
While not new to C3 ownership, having previously owned a ’75 Coupe as a kid and an ’80 Ragtop conversion later on, I purchased this ’75 Roadster as a long-term project. I’ve had a lot of project cars but I wanted another Corvette. You could say that I had an itch that needed to be scratched. When I first saw the car, it was on jack stands, the spark plugs were sitting on the air cleaner, while the interior and top, if not tattered, were moldy. It had apparently just been moved inside after being stored outside, under a tarp for the better part of 20 years.
The good news though, was that it was a number matching car and the owner assured me that it ran great when parked. Yeah ok, they all run great until the moment they stop.
But I negotiated a price of $5,500 and within half an hour the paperwork was complete, it was strapped down on the trailer and we were heading home.
Once home, I washed and scrubbed 20+ years of accumulated nastiness away and found that despite the questionable storage methods, all metal structures were in very good condition.
Next, I went through the brake system and prepped the motor for restart after its long hibernation. After some good soak time with fresh oil I first turned the motor by hand and then cranked it over with the starter, minus the spark plugs.
Now for the moment of truth. Spark plugs went in and did a final check of all fluids. After just a few cranks it started right up and went into high idle. After it warmed up it settled down into a smooth idle and absolutely no lifter noise and no smoke. Once the tranny fluid was topped off it engaged flawlessly!
Amazing…within a week I had a running driving and stopping C3 Corvette Roadster, albeit a scruffy one!
Where to go now? I love all Vettes but I am not a resto guy. While this one of only 270 roadsters imported into Canada for the 1975 model year, I will personalize it to my tastes, but do nothing to prevent it from going back to stock fairly easily.
So, after a couple of months of work, the pics show how my Vette has progressed. The mold and mildew are gone, the fiberglass bumper covers installed and most notably, it’s been lowered over a set of 20” Foose wheels.
Still to come are the top and tend to any mechanical needs to make it roadworthy. Oh, I’ll blend the bumpers to match the faded paint, but for the time being, I’m going to enjoy the car with its well-earned patina.
P.S. I do a little artwork so I’ve attached a couple of renderings of the car. One is of the finished car and the other…Boy if I had deep pockets.

Cheers
MK
Attached Images       
The following users liked this post:
60 SHARK (03-15-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:59 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice find and job fixing her up. Great color.

Congrats
Old 02-24-2017, 01:17 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

What, you own a Corvette, of course you have deep pockets! I always get confused the guy who just won the lottery myself.
Nice car, what motor in it?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Nice work. I like the blue with gray interior. The wheels are pretty cool too
Old 02-24-2017, 09:32 AM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Another C3 pulled out of a dismal existence and brought back to life! Yeah! Great job!

Isn't the '75 the last of the convertibles till '86? Nice find!

BTW.... great artwork too!!!!

Last edited by RMVette; 02-24-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Great job ,
Old 02-24-2017, 05:58 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lobzila
What, you own a Corvette, of course you have deep pockets! I always get confused the guy who just won the lottery myself.
Nice car, what motor in it?
It's the original L-48 and runs great. The car shows 88,000 miles which I believe to be true. Mechanically the car appears to be sound thankfully. Unfortunately, the outside storage took a toll on the body, top, and interior. Nothing that can't be fixed, though!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 PM
LRB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the 75. I have one that I have been working on for a couple years. Keep us posted on your progress. I have a long post on my journey with my "Lucille", take a look.
Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Another 75 making a come back
Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Originally Posted by RMVette
Another C3 pulled out of a dismal existence and brought back to life! Yeah! Great job!

Isn't the '75 the last of the convertibles till '86? Nice find!

BTW.... great artwork too!!!!

Old 02-25-2017, 04:44 PM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts

Looks like you got a winner!

Matching luggage on the rear deck? Are you planning on adding a luggage rack?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:17 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by nwav8tor
Looks like you got a winner!

Matching luggage on the rear deck? Are you planning on adding a luggage rack?
Thanks, nwav8tor. I'm pretty happy with the Vette, especially with how well it runs. Considering the purchase price I was prepared for the worst.
As for the luggage rack, the car came with one mounted already. Although I prefer the clean look without it, and since I have no plans to paint it right away I'll keep the mounting holes and put the rack on for overnight road trips.
Just a note to everybody. Thanks to all the members for the knowledge, the wealth of information and inspiration they provide as I delve into this project. Much thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:37 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by LRB
Congrats on the 75. I have one that I have been working on for a couple years. Keep us posted on your progress. I have a long post on my journey with my "Lucille", take a look.
Hi LRB. Took look at your roadster and that is what my car aspires to be!
LRB (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:14 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Love my '75 vert. Wonder what it would like Rollin on 20's

Old 02-26-2017, 11:38 PM
LRB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Punisher
Love my '75 vert. Wonder what it would like Rollin on 20's

Nice.
The Punisher (02-27-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

I thought I'd pass this along for folks looking for a tank sticker. This only works for the rubber bumper cars and I got lucky before I installed my back bumper.
Out of curiosity, while I could, I stuck a flashlight into the recess on the driver's side of the tank and I could see a piece of paper on top of the tank shield. I could just get my fingers in behind it and very gently worked it loose. Amazing. I got it out in one piece.
Two things here. First off I was so stoked that I might have located the tank sticker that I completely forgot to take a pic, so the image you see is a piece of paper I reinstalled that shows exactly what I first saw. Second, there was not much information to be gained as the sticker, while coming out in one piece was totally faded out.
Thankfully, as an import into Canada, all this info and more is available through GM Historical Sevices.
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mkdesign
I thought I'd pass this along for folks looking for a tank sticker. This only works for the rubber bumper cars and I got lucky before I installed my back bumper.
Out of curiosity, while I could, I stuck a flashlight into the recess on the driver's side of the tank and I could see a piece of paper on top of the tank shield. I could just get my fingers in behind it and very gently worked it loose. Amazing. I got it out in one piece.
Two things here. First off I was so stoked that I might have located the tank sticker that I completely forgot to take a pic, so the image you see is a piece of paper I reinstalled that shows exactly what I first saw. Second, there was not much information to be gained as the sticker, while coming out in one piece was totally faded out.
Thankfully, as an import into Canada, all this info and more is available through GM Historical Sevices.
First of all, great work on bringing your '75 back from the dead.

I too found the remnants of a tank sticker glued to the top of the tank shield on my 75 coupe. There wasn't much left of it though. Fortunately, I found a second copy folded up and stuck between the heat shield on the bottom of the differential. Check it out, you may have one there too.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-to-clean.html

Get notified of new replies

To New guy rescuing a '75 ragtop

Old 03-08-2017, 11:58 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by RJ1AZ
First of all, great work on bringing your '75 back from the dead.

I too found the remnants of a tank sticker glued to the top of the tank shield on my 75 coupe. There wasn't much left of it though. Fortunately, I found a second copy folded up and stuck between the heat shield on the bottom of the differential. Check it out, you may have one there too.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-to-clean.html
Thanks, RJ1AZ. I'll check that out. I also checked the instrument cluster when I had the dash apart. but nothing there.
Yeah it's been fun getting this car mobile after being neglected for so long. The more I look, the more I find, but surprisingly very good mechanically. The truth will be told when I get it out of the garage very shortly and put some miles on it. Can't wait!
Old 03-09-2017, 10:57 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Very cool project mkdesign. I like your Gulf livery rendering a lot.
I did 2% of the work here. I'm not giving up on that look quite yet.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2017, 11:44 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Looks like it will be a nice car. It already looks pretty good.

Quick Reply: New guy rescuing a '75 ragtop