Sponsored by:

engine not running. timing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default engine not running. timing?

I just tore apart and rebuilt a 350 small block from 87-96? and I reused the heads and piston and rods. never took out cam or crank or timing gears/balancer. It has a edelbrock performer and a holley 750 (i know its to big but i stole it for $100!) and has a hei. I cant seem to get it running and i think its timing. it turns over then coughs a coulple times then pops and shoots some flames out of exhaust and carb and doesn't start? really need some help. thanks.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

do you know how to get the engine to #1 TDC?
If you do, what cylinder in the distributor cap is the distributor rotor pointing to?
If not at #1 or a hair before it you have the distributor incorrectly installed.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:04 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
do you know how to get the engine to #1 TDC?
If you do, what cylinder in the distributor cap is the distributor rotor pointing to?
If not at #1 or a hair before it you have the distributor incorrectly installed.
yeah i watched the exhaust valve open and close then the intake open and close. then i turned it till the balancer was at tdc then installed the dizzy with the rotor pointing at #1
Old 02-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Did you install a new balancer? If you used the old one then you may find that TDC on the balancer is not TDC.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like you're 180 degrees out.

Nevermind - He didn't take the chain off, cam out, etc.

Last edited by Ryan Menzies; 02-24-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Didn't read completely
Old 02-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Have you got or can you borrow a timing light? Did you verify that TDC indicated by the timing marks agreed with true TDC while you had the heads off? As you say you never removed the balancer, how old is it, possible it may have spun and the marks are not correct.
If the marks are correct and you set the dizzy at tdc (initial timing will be retarded) try moving it slightly anti clockwise (advancing the timing) and see if this helps.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Default Rotor

Originally Posted by Youngvettehunter
yeah i watched the exhaust valve open and close then the intake open and close. then i turned it till the balancer was at tdc then installed the dizzy with the rotor pointing at #1
Try the same procedure and turn the balancer until it is at 8 degrees before TDC, then drop the distributor in with rotor pointing to #1
The following users liked this post:
Youngvettehunter (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Pull #1 spark plug, stick your finger in the hole and bump the starter until it blows your finger out of the hole. Pop the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
Pull #1 spark plug, stick your finger in the hole and bump the starter until it blows your finger out of the hole. Pop the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing.
Worked for me every time, no guessing! Easy to put the distributor in wrong. Make sure the rotor and cap are on correctly and tight. After you find TDC, check every wire is going to the correct cylinder. Easy to do, easier to screw up! Don't ask how I know that.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Worked for me every time, no guessing! Easy to put the distributor in wrong. Make sure the rotor and cap are on correctly and tight. After you find TDC, check every wire is going to the correct cylinder. Easy to do, easier to screw up! Don't ask how I know that.
I'm sure he is 180 out. I posted earlier about it and then had a brain fart and back tracked. Probably herding cats at work at the moment.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Yup. Check and restab that distributor.
To set initial, set damper from about 6* to 10* BTDC.
Hook up timing light.
Turn key to on position; slowly rotate distributor.
When light flashes, snug up distributor; prime carb and fire that bad-boy up.
Time engine as usual.
Anyways, this is what I do.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ryan Menzies
I'm sure he is 180 out. I posted earlier about it and then had a brain fart and back tracked. Probably herding cats at work at the moment.
I've heard a lot of people say I'm 180 off but I'm at tdc (I looked in the spark plug hole and the balancer says so to) the rotor is pointed at #1. So what do I do? Do I turn the balancer 180? Or what? It's on the compression stroke because I watched the exhaust valve open and close then the intake open and close then went to tdc and stabbed the sissy pointing at #1...
Old 02-25-2017, 01:29 AM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
Try the same procedure and turn the balancer until it is at 8 degrees before TDC, then drop the distributor in with rotor pointing to #1
I'll try that thanks
Old 02-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

I've heard a lot of people say I'm 180 off but I'm at tdc (I looked in the spark plug hole and the balancer says so to) the rotor is pointed at #1. So what do I do? Do I turn the balancer 180? Or what? It's on the compression stroke because I watched the exhaust valve open and close then the intake open and close then went to tdc and stabbed the sissy pointing at #1...
Are your valves adjusted correctly, not too tight or too loose. If the valves are right, then it still points to TDC. Try again on finding TDC. Valve adjustment will also cause this. Both valves are closed on two of the 4 cycles.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2017, 10:34 PM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

Pull the distributor - turn the engine/crank over one time until TDC and drop the distributor in for # 1.

Also - -
"Pull #1 spark plug, stick your finger in the hole and bump the starter until it blows your finger out of the hole. Pop the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing."
As Tim had said.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Any success?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Any success?
Nothing yet I'm gonna try resetting the valve lash again today

Get notified of new replies

To engine not running. timing?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:53 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

double check your plug wires are on the cap correctly. easy to mistakenly swap a couple around or have them one post off. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, in the proper direction.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Youngvettehunter
Instructor

after i reset the valve lash i tried using some starting fluid and she almost popped off but then the battery died and wouldn't turn it over. its about 20 degrees outside where i live so im guessing that's one of the issues. also noticed my carb is leaking so it probably isn't getting enough gas. so im gonna buy a rebuild kit for the carb and instead of using a battery im goung to try to jump it off a running car.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

after i reset the valve lash i tried using some starting fluid and she almost popped off but then the battery died and wouldn't turn it over. its about 20 degrees outside where i live so im guessing that's one of the issues. also noticed my carb is leaking so it probably isn't getting enough gas. so im gonna buy a rebuild kit for the carb and instead of using a battery im goung to try to jump it off a running car.
Be careful not to get too many projects going at one time, especially if you are new to working on cars. Too many things that can cause you problems. Where is the carb leaking? Big fire hazard, especially if it is backfiring. Have an extinguisher near the car and don't be doing this in an attached garage. If it is leaking gas, fix it immediately or get it outside, where fire damage will be only to the car.
The following users liked this post:
Youngvettehunter (02-27-2017)

Quick Reply: engine not running. timing?