Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default How to Remove And Replace the Wiper Door Vacuum Control Solenoid

This is a How do you do it question.

Now let me assure you I searched the forum and got a ton of threads back. Most I could see were replacing the unit and wiring and hose hook up posts. But did not find how they went about getting to the unit.

My bud has a 72 C-3 with a Stuck up in the air wiper door. We have all the diagrams from Doc Rebuild and traced the problem back and it seems it is the Wiper Door Vacuum Control Solenoid. We can't get to it for testing so he just wants to throw money at it and install a new one.

But Wait....It's mounted on the rear of the Tach...!!!

So the question here which i couldn't find is........What is the easyest way to get to this unit with out taking the dash apart. I'm sure ...I mean I'm really sure that one of you genuineness's figure out a way to get this thing out with out pulling the dask...

This is like the Star Trek Ko-be-ash-y Ma-ru thang

One of you guys or several are smart as a whip and I bet will come up with a Novel way. Or direct me with link to this which I'm sure has been asked. This is also Posted under Tech/Performance.

Thanks In advance:
Old 02-25-2017, 06:51 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

One choice Mr Kirk, is to take out the drivers seat, lie on your back with a flashight next to your head pointing up at the tach with one arm placed strategically so that you might be able to operate a small ratchet or nut driver. It'll be a pain and create some pains.

The second choice is to receive the replacement, unplug the hoses/ wires and plug them into the new uninstalled unit. Run a ground jumper to a new ground and test it to see if it works before replacement, same contorted position as step one

The third choice is to drop the steering column, pull the dash, replace all the bulbs, any broken switches, pull the tach and speedo to replace the scratched clear plastic face, the bulbs in the the gauges, anything else you find back there while your at it. If you leave the steering wheel attached you may want to remove the seat.

Have fun!!!
Old 02-25-2017, 08:11 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Replacing the wiper door vacuum control solenoid most always turns into a frame off restoration.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:07 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

That part is difficult to remove and should probably be at the bottom of your list of parts that are causing the problem.
I did have my solenoid out to bench test it and it is good. It can be removed if necessary, on your back, seat in (depending on your size) dash Not apart.
To figure out your the likely culprits, search for posts by DAVE J and DUB for solutions and Wilcox for the parts.
Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
This is a How do you do it question.

Now let me assure you I searched the forum and got a ton of threads back. Most I could see were replacing the unit and wiring and hose hook up posts. But did not find how they went about getting to the unit.

My bud has a 72 C-3 with a Stuck up in the air wiper door. We have all the diagrams from Doc Rebuild and traced the problem back and it seems it is the Wiper Door Vacuum Control Solenoid. We can't get to it for testing so he just wants to throw money at it and install a new one.

But Wait....It's mounted on the rear of the Tach...!!!

So the question here which i couldn't find is........What is the easyest way to get to this unit with out taking the dash apart. I'm sure ...I mean I'm really sure that one of you genuineness's figure out a way to get this thing out with out pulling the dask...

This is like the Star Trek Ko-be-ash-y Ma-ru thang

One of you guys or several are smart as a whip and I bet will come up with a Novel way. Or direct me with link to this which I'm sure has been asked. This is also Posted under Tech/Performance.

Thanks In advance:
Old 02-25-2017, 12:55 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
The second choice is to receive the replacement, unplug the hoses/ wires and plug them into the new uninstalled unit. Run a ground jumper to a new ground and test it to see if it works before replacement, same contorted position as step one
This is how mine is currently installed. There was no need to run a new ground. I just unplugged the hoses and wires from the old one and plugged them into the new one, which is currently mounted on top of my AC duct. Everything is working great. This setup made troubleshooting the vacuum system much easier.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
One choice Mr Kirk, is to take out the drivers seat, lie on your back with a flashight next to your head pointing up at the tach with one arm placed strategically so that you might be able to operate a small ratchet or nut driver. It'll be a pain and create some pains.

The third choice is to drop the steering column, pull the dash, replace all the bulbs, any broken switches, pull the tach and speedo to replace the scratched clear plastic face, the bulbs in the the gauges, anything else you find back there while your at it. If you leave the steering wheel attached you may want to remove the seat.

Have fun!!!
Thanks Rescue... Some good points their.... I like the idea Of testing the new unit by unplugging the Vac lines and connecting to the new unit before you go nuts..

Either way That A/C duct has gotta move to get up their.

And this whole thing is dangerous....As it could turn Out to be a Frame Off resto as "MR.D." has Stated....It's a Case of " While I'm At it" I might as well................
Old 02-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Replacing the wiper door vacuum control solenoid most always turns into a frame off restoration.
No truer words have been spoken....
Old 02-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by toylman
That part is difficult to remove and should probably be at the bottom of your list of parts that are causing the problem.
I did have my solenoid out to bench test it and it is good. It can be removed if necessary, on your back, seat in (depending on your size) dash Not apart.
To figure out your the likely culprits, search for posts by DAVE J and DUB for solutions and Wilcox for the parts.
Thanks "Toylman"

The Worst place to work on a C-2 is under the dash...the C-3 I think is even a Bigger pain. Glad it ain't mine... But I have a feeling I'll be under there also with the owner so he can have a "Blood Return To The Feet Break"

I'll Check Around for those Post's
Old 02-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
This is how mine is currently installed. There was no need to run a new ground. I just unplugged the hoses and wires from the old one and plugged them into the new one, which is currently mounted on top of my AC duct. Everything is working great. This setup made troubleshooting the vacuum system much easier.
Which A/C Duct...?? The Lower Left Driver side...? Or the Center Top One.

Can't remember if their is one at the top center being a C-2 Guy.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
Which A/C Duct...?? The Lower Left Driver side...? Or the Center Top One.

Can't remember if their is one at the top center being a C-2 Guy.
In the AC cars (1970) you have a plastic duct that runs from the center to drivers side AC outlet. You must remove this duct before you can work on about anything under the driver side dash. My wiper solenoid is currently sitting on top of this duct. One day when I feel like punishing myself I'll get it mount to the back of the tach. I have no clue what a non AC car looks like.

Get notified of new replies

To How to Remove And Replace the Wiper Door Vacuum Control Solenoid

Quick Reply: How to Remove And Replace the Wiper Door Vacuum Control Solenoid