C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our Hobby is Safe for Now (Carshow in FW)

Old 03-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I hear ya but the only station wagon that really catches my eye when I see them is an olds "Vista Cruiser" , the one with the glass roof panels in the rear. Wouldn't mind owning one.
Yes, I like those in particular too. At Barrett Jackson I saw a mid-sixties Buick two door wagon with glass roof panels in the rear similar to the Olds Vista Cruiser. I would have loved to have had that car, it was so beautiful!
Old 03-25-2017, 12:44 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I had read some threads on the C3 forum that expressed concern that the interest in restoring, collecting or driving old cars was waning. This thread makes the case that the hobby seems to be alive and well.
Going to view old cars vs the willingness to purchase a old car is not the same.

eg. if they charged $40 a head to view the cars how would this affect attendance.

Of the people that do attend, how many would be willing to bring cash to buy a car, and the seller willing to sell the car at a agreed price.

Those that have interest in the hobby like to look at things and dream about owning one, but seriously cannot afford to waste money on this dream.

The number of cars that exchange hands is very much limited to those with disposable income. (BJ Crowd). The regular joe middle income person that spends money on this hobby is aged and dying off each year. another group of people have emotional ties to the past and wish to feel young again through this hobby. But again this is a aged population.

Without money this hobby is for dreamers.

If you are in it for the money get out while you can and hopefully your group of friends have lots of money. If your circle of friends are the average joe, then enjoy the hobby by driving your car and don't park it like its a gold statue.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:58 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Priya
I wasn't being sarcastic, I really do have a thing for station wagons as my first car was a station wagon.
Here you go-

Hotrod Power Tour 2014 Charlotte NC

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
Metalhead140 (03-25-2017), Priya (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 07:35 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
The regular joe middle income person that spends money on this hobby is aged and dying off each year
Well, for the most part, maybe. But there ARE still a LOT of exceptions. Like my boys. My middle son, Greg.... at 16 years old, took his lawn mowing money, and bought a 67 Mustang. It turned out to be more of a rust bucket than he`d bargained for, so he parted it out, and just barely broke even. Then he bought a 74 Camaro that was hit in the front... AND a Z-28 donor car. He played with that for a while, but found the 74 to be a "bastard" year.... with very little repop parts available in the vendor catalogs. So he parted them out too. He actually made some money on those. Now he`s DYING to find something else to jump into.
My youngest, has built most of a 65 Chevy truck, and almost ALL of our 71 Vette with me. He will just "fall" into this hobby. He`s doing all the work now (on MY dime)..., and will own the car when I drop over.

Last edited by oldgto; 03-25-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Here you go-

Hotrod Power Tour 2014 Charlotte NC

Wow! That is some station wagon! I would love to have that car!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:48 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Yes, I like those in particular too. At Barrett Jackson I saw a mid-sixties Buick two door wagon with glass roof panels in the rear similar to the Olds Vista Cruiser. I would have loved to have had that car, it was so beautiful!
I should have mentioned them too but I particularly like the Olds. Both beautiful cars and under appreciated .
Old 03-25-2017, 10:41 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by bj1k
I should have mentioned them too but I particularly like the Olds. Both beautiful cars and under appreciated .
Yep- growing up my neighbors had one- loved riding in the back of it looking up through the roof!!!

Back to the OP question-

Nobody's mentioned the Caffeine and Octane events-

I'm fortunate as it's a few miles from my house-every month

A LOT of people younger then me (mid 50) and it keeps getting bigger.
On a Sunday morning (for the good spots people are there at 5AM!!!) the beginning of each month with a parking lot of the mall - 7700 parking spots- will be almost full by 9AM - guesstimates of 10,000 spectators and 2500 cars-

Younger "Car" people...

Different cars- but still a younger crowd...

Old 03-25-2017, 11:18 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I think the car hobbies are biggest in the south where we have more time to drive, track and show the cars. People around Fort Worth seem to be car crazy.

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Going to view old cars vs the willingness to purchase a old car is not the same.

eg. if they charged $40 a head to view the cars how would this affect attendance.

Of the people that do attend, how many would be willing to bring cash to buy a car, and the seller willing to sell the car at a agreed price.

Those that have interest in the hobby like to look at things and dream about owning one, but seriously cannot afford to waste money on this dream.

The number of cars that exchange hands is very much limited to those with disposable income. (BJ Crowd). The regular joe middle income person that spends money on this hobby is aged and dying off each year. another group of people have emotional ties to the past and wish to feel young again through this hobby. But again this is a aged population.

Without money this hobby is for dreamers.

If you are in it for the money get out while you can and hopefully your group of friends have lots of money. If your circle of friends are the average joe, then enjoy the hobby by driving your car and don't park it like its a gold statue.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:22 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi c333,
An interesting observation, and one that I agree with.
There's a very nice car show that's put on each August by a local fire company.
I've seen what folks bring out change over the years… trucks, imports, rat rods, etc.. But there seems to be a core interest in hot rods and muscle cars that has continued to be the back-bone of the show.
Regards,
Alan

All well done cars deserve attention and sometimes a LOT of attention.
It's in the details.

at least the damned thing had some paint on it
Old 03-26-2017, 12:43 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Here's mine, a 67 Buick Sport Wagon.

And my 56 Nomad. I'm a bit of a wagon fiend myself.

Last edited by Zoomin; 03-26-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:32 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I love my wagons too... This was my first car, though I bet not many non-Aussies will recognize it.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:23 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

When I was a kid wagons were popular for hauling the kids around and all of the food to feed them . I guess what goes around does come around .
Old 03-26-2017, 05:32 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

The car hobby is alive and well in Central Pennsylvania. I'm a member of the Hershey Region of the AACA, our Fall meet in Hershey attracts thousands and thousands throughout the week. People from all over the US and 17+ Countries. 1000 + car corral spaces, 9000 + vendors and several hundred cars in the Sat show and a huge auction at the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center. Plus various enents throughot the Summer in Carlisle at the fairgrounds hosted by Carlisle events.

BTW, just down here in C3 land visiting!!

Last edited by skyhawk50; 03-26-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:51 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhawk50
People from all over the US and 17+ Countries. 1000 + car corral spaces, 9000 + vendors and several hundred cars in the Sat show and a huge auction at the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center.
What are the stats on $$$ changing hands. Just because people show up to look doesn't mean they spend $$$ which is the real heart beat of the industry.

More and more vendors are going out of business to the bigger global guys. When the little guy can survive in the industry, then all is alive and well. 2013 was the last big year. Each year there is a decline from the previous year. Decline meaning not the average $$$ increase each year but a slowing down.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/01/scott...ince-2010.html

This is for the guys that have big $$$, its worst for the average joe car market.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

cagotzmann is right

Going to view old cars vs the willingness to purchase a old car is not the same
Yup, try selling one...on that end its not a good reality check

The avg working guy cant afford to pay the crazy money these things cost to restore or outright buy

Lots of difficulty with selling mine now....1 yr ago coulda gotten top buck quick.

Last edited by cv67; 03-26-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:51 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
cagotzmann is right

Yup, try selling one...on that end its not a good reality check

The avg working guy cant afford to pay the crazy money these things cost to restore or outright buy

Lots of difficulty with selling mine now....1 yr ago coulda gotten top buck quick.
Just coming back to reality from a lot of crazy years brought on by the high end car auctions and the internet . Not too long ago it was common to see a 57 Chevy convertible advertised for well over a hundred grand . Now I have been seeing nice ones selling for an average of 45 grand . There is a nice 57 Chevy convertible black with red interior all original very sharp advertised in craigslist for $42,500. and it's been in there for quite a while. Sounds cheap now after what we have been seeing but really more realistic and still not selling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Our Hobby is Safe for Now (Carshow in FW)