C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our Hobby is Safe for Now (Carshow in FW)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Default Our Hobby is Safe for Now (Carshow in FW)

I had read some threads on the C3 forum that expressed concern that the interest in restoring, collecting or driving old cars was waning. This thread makes the case that the hobby seems to be alive and well.

Yesterday my wife and I went to a car show in at the Texas Motor Speedway that was put on by the "Good Guys" organization. (Disclaimer: I know nothing about this org. and I am not a member) It was limited to 72 and older cars. I attended as a spectator and did not enter my 72. They claimed to have 2500 show cars present, but I am not sure there were that many, but there were many more than we had time to look at. There were many Corvettes amongst the cars. The cars were parked randomly and they did not seem to be parked in classes.

Besides the exhibitors, the parking lot at the Texas Motor Speedway was almost full of spectator's car. My wife and I had to walk about a quarter of a mile just to get to the gate. The show was in the infield. In case you are not aware, TMS is a major NASCAR track and has a huge parking lot. Suffice to say that there were thousands of spectators, many of them families. I noticed the kids were really enjoying the old cars and seem to be have a lot of fun.

Anyway it was a lot of fun and encouraging that so many people are still interested in old cars.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c333,
An interesting observation, and one that I agree with.
There's a very nice car show that's put on each August by a local fire company.
I've seen what folks bring out change over the years… trucks, imports, rat rods, etc.. But there seems to be a core interest in hot rods and muscle cars that has continued to be the back-bone of the show.
Regards,
Alan

All well done cars deserve attention and sometimes a LOT of attention.
It's in the details.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There are some car shows that sponsor a terrific charitable cause or are famous in their own right which tend to bring all collector car owners out to show (for support, or just because...). But, that might be the only car show during a year where many folks actually show their car. More and more owners have waning interest in cleaning, servicing, or even driving their cars. The end result will be that these older folks [and I am one of them] pass away and the car will be sold/auctioned off. And that car may be modified, resto-modded, whatever, as the car hobby morphs its way into the future.

We don't know what will happen to the hobby, which cars will be popular, etc. All we know for certain is that it will NOT be the same as it is now.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-19-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:12 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi c333,

All well done cars deserve attention and sometimes a LOT of attention.
It's in the details.

Too true. In Scottsdale, I'm starting to believe that there are car shows daily. Always well attended and there is always significant interest in hot rods, whatever the vintage.

Not to divert the intent of the thread, but speaking of details:

1). What an odd placement for the master cylinder. Is that where it's located stock on these cars? Rear wheel braking only?

2). Six carbs for eight cylinders certainly won't hut performance, but it feels just wrong
Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
We don't know what will happen to the hobby, which cars will be popular, etc. All we know for certain is that it will NOT be the same as it is now.
Amen. See the current Rat rod movement. I don't get it/ doesn't appeal to me, but it's bringing a new generation into the hobby.

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Not to divert the intent of the thread, but speaking of details:

1). What an odd placement for the master cylinder. Is that where it's located stock on these cars? Rear wheel braking only?
I'm no expert, but I'd bet that car came from the factory with mechanical brakes. The master cylinder was put where the builder could find space.
I saw a similar, but not nearly so nice, car at a recent show, and they had the master cylinder mounted outside of the driver's side frame rail. Inelegant. Lol.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:51 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
There are some car shows that sponsor a terrific charitable cause or are famous in their own right which tend to bring all collector car owners out to show (for support, or just because...). But, that might be the only car show during a year where many folks actually show their car. More and more owners have waning interest in cleaning, servicing, or even driving their cars. The end result will be that these older folks [and I am one of them] pass away and the car will be sold/auctioned off. And that car may be modified, resto-modded, whatever, as the car hobby morphs its way into the future.

Right, just what i was thinking special big shows bring people out even if it is once a year,
This really doesn't change the point BJ was making in the stangnant thread that many cars just sit...they do.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I just got home from the Run to the Sun car show in Myrtle Beach SC, and I can say that the hobby is alive and well. I can't say definitely but i heard there were about 4000 cars there. This show was '89 and older cars, so my 79 was in the show. I've been going for years and the show gets bigger every year. Best part about this show to me is it's free for spectators, only $40 to show your car, and it's not judged so everyone just has a good fun time. They do pick a car and truck of the year, but that's it.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

If this is not the same question then, so why bring it into this discussion? The other thread is still open.

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Right, just what i was thinking special big shows bring people out even if it is once a year,
This really doesn't change the point BJ was making in the stangnant thread that many cars just sit...they do.

Last edited by crawfish333; 03-19-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:19 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by crawfish333
If this is not the same question then, so why bring it into this discussion? The other thread is still open.
You said,
I had read some threads on the C3 forum that expressed concern that the interest in restoring, collecting or driving old cars was waning. This thread makes the case that the hobby seems to be alive and well.
So actually this thread was posted because of the other thread, and i thought was open like all forum posts to all opinions and viewpoints not just the ones you agree with.
i wasnt the only one who posted a different train of thought, im just the one you centered out.

Last edited by The13Bats; 03-19-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I posted this thread because I wanted to make a point that your buddy did not make, but there was another thread that discussed this topic last week. Your pal was disappointed that he could not buy cars fix them up and sell them to make money anymore. I don't care anything about that. I posted this thread to discuss the fact that there is still a lot of interest in old cars.

Since you are not a moderator I suppose this topic is OK to discuss.

Why do you insist on arguing about everything I post? This is not a controversial subject.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I posted this thread because I wanted to make a point that your buddy did not make, but there was another thread that discussed this topic last week. Your pal was disappointed that he could not buy cars fix them up and sell them to make money anymore. I don't care anything about that. I posted this thread to discuss the fact that there is still a lot of interest in old cars.

Since you are not a moderator I suppose this topic is OK to discuss.

Why do you insist on arguing about everything I post? This is not a controversial subject.
Seem you were trying to argue with me for posting my view, you jumped right on me, you seem to like to jump on my posts a lot.
I didnt argue about anything i shared 7t1s point of view, it was valid.

No, im not a modarator, but most topics are okay to discuss, meaning people post opinions ideas, viewpoints, seldom doesnt everyone agree on everything,

So topic is interest in old cars, sure there is, but not like there used to be big huge National shows always get good turnout, but smaller shows and cruises, not so much so,

Remember, i agreed with you if not for large volumes of late models, some shows would have very little turn out.

Last edited by The13Bats; 03-19-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Good Guys is a large organization and put on shows all across the country throughout the year. They'll be back through TMS in the fall.

Sundays are called "All American" day and allow post '72 cars/trucks in.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

The Goodguys events are crazy.....the one in Oklahoma attracts over 7500 cars I have heard....

Jebby
Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

OK, whatever.

I assume you will find something to argue about with this, so have at it.

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Seem you were trying to argue with me for posting my view, you jumped right on me, you seem to like to jump on my posts a lot.
I didnt argue about anything i shared 7t1s point of view, it was valid.

No, im not a modarator, but most topics are okay to discuss, meaning people post opinions ideas, viewpoints, seldom doesnt everyone agree on everything,

So topic is interest in old cars, sure there is, but not like there used to be big huge National shows always get good turnout, but smaller shows and cruises, not so much so,

Remember, i agreed with you if not for large volumes of late models, some shows would have very little turn out.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:38 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

OK, whatever.

I assume you will find something to argue about with this, so have at it.
I have no clue what you are talking about, not me or anyone in this thread is arguing,
I even went back to topic and you are still saying i am arguing...lol, next you will say i am arguing about not arguing,

Can we please move on to car talk,
Old 03-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
The Goodguys events are crazy.....the one in Oklahoma attracts over 7500 cars I have heard....

Jebby
You heard wrong, because GG's does not hold an event in Oklahoma. I think you may be referring to their event in Columbus, Ohio.

I went to Ft Worth this weekend, and was amazed at the crowd size Saturday. Still lots of interest in old cars, lots of families! Was great to see.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Does anything like this happen in florida?

Get notified of new replies

To Our Hobby is Safe for Now (Carshow in FW)

Old 03-19-2017, 10:40 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

It was amazing. Maybe it is a Texas thing, but people are car crazy around here. As I said, the kids were loving it. I will definitely attend next year and may enter my car if it is finished. If nothing else, I will have a good parking space without having to walk a mile.

Originally Posted by Zoomin
You heard wrong, because GG's does not hold an event in Oklahoma. I think you may be referring to their event in Columbus, Ohio.

I went to Ft Worth this weekend, and was amazed at the crowd size Saturday. Still lots of interest in old cars, lots of families! Was great to see.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:43 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Good Guys website...
https://www.good-guys.com/index.php

2017 event schedule...
https://www.good-guys.com/pdf/schedu...chedule_17.pdf
Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin

Maybe the Ft. Worth one was what it was.....up there somewhere....whatever.

Jebby

Quick Reply: Our Hobby is Safe for Now (Carshow in FW)