Sponsored by:

Question about stripping down to the glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 PM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

"Which is often times the scenario for many DIY'ers who do not nor can not use a media blasting method."

DUB

Dub, I could not agree with you more. This method is not for everyone. It would be cost prohibitive for a guy doing one car for himself. Even if he sent it out to a shop it is still an expensive process. I have some equipment from work that has helped me greatly. I'm doing more than one car so my cost is split up between 3 cars.

My goal here was to do the trial and error process and maybe bring an end to some of the myths I've heard about concerning plastic media. I'm only here to share my experiences and results.

Ned
Old 03-26-2017, 11:12 AM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Obviously what I wrote was interpreted incorrectly. I though I wrote it correctly. I did NOT say your method was NOT a good method. I CLEARLY stated FACTS of my real world experiences on these fiberglass bodies. EACH method has failures....and EACH method can be successfully accomplished.

I feel what I wrote could CLEARLY be interpreted as IF a person does not KNOW what they are doing...each method can FAIL....and .... IF a person does KNOW what they are doing.... EACH method can be used.....THUS ...not one of them is the BEST!

And if a person wants to define it that ignorant people were the ones who caused the problems I commented in my past post.....that very well may be true...but I do know that regardless of what some may feel or think...all of the above methods can be used to strip paint off of fiberglass....and that also includes using razor blades....because I am not ignorant about this because I know how to do it without damaging the body. AND I am not the only one that has had great success in using that method I am sure some people will comment that I do not know hat I am doing and they do not even know me...and that would show their ignorance also.

Because.... lets not forget.... that the plastic media was NOT available 30 years ago. So someone enlighten me what they would do IF they had no plastic media to remove the paint and had to use another method. Which is often times the scenario for many DIY'ers who do not nor can not use a media blasting method.

DUB

Your reading comprehension skills are superior, I see. I said chemical strippers are not the best idea for fiberglass. Refer to post #14, and then #16. You want to argue with my points a lot. I'm not here to argue, I'm here to share the professional training I've had over the past 4 and a half decades.

If you see me as a threat, you want to argue your point to keep your status in this forum. I have no status, nor do I care to have any. I'm here to share and learn, you're here to push your knowledge on people. Have a nice day Dud
Old 03-26-2017, 11:28 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 853 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFVeteran
Your reading comprehension skills are superior, I see. I said chemical strippers are not the best idea for fiberglass. Refer to post #14, and then #16. You want to argue with my points a lot. I'm not here to argue, I'm here to share the professional training I've had over the past 4 and a half decades.

If you see me as a threat, you want to argue your point to keep your status in this forum. I have no status, nor do I care to have any. I'm here to share and learn, you're here to push your knowledge on people. Have a nice day Dud
First, thank you for your service to the country. Second, however, for someone who reacted when he thought someone was calling his method wrong, is doing the same thing to someone who has been around this forum forever. Not to mention how he has freely given his time and expertise to all of us. If Dub says chemical stripping is the preferred method of stripping a Corvette, keeping in mind how long he has been doing this, it is good enough for me.

I think the point has been made that all methods can be successful, or disasterous if done wrong. I think I will stick by the guy who goes out of his way to be helpful around here. Pushing his knowledge is your term and a cheap shot imho! You have a nice day too!

Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 03-26-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:37 AM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
First, thank you for your service to the country. Second, however, for someone who reacted when he thought someone was calling his method wrong, is doing the same thing to someone who has been around this forum forever. Not to mention how he has freely given his time and expertise to all of us. If Dub says chemical stripping is the preferred method of stripping a Corvette, keeping in mind how long he has been doing this, it is good enough for me.

I think the point has been made that all methods can be successful, or disasterous if done wrong. I think I will stick by the guy who goes out of his way to be helpful around here. Pushing his knowledge is your term and a cheap shot imho! You have a nice day too!

Bill

^^^Exactly what I'm talking about. Somebody that's been around is believed more than a NoOB, no matter the true skill level, or professional training received.

I won't post the PM's that I've had about this subject, because they were Private Messages, but I had to delete some to keep my inbox from being full all the time. So, there are quite a few that don't see the same rainbow that you do. But you have a great day, and have fun!!

I'm not taking a cheap shot at anybody, nor was I even talking to you.

Last edited by USAFVeteran; 03-26-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:55 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

I don't see one sentence in this post questioning your knowledge or experience. It's just that the person you are picking a fight with has knowledge and experience with Corvettes. I don't care how long you have been here. And I am sure you have absolutely unbelievable skills. He has been here a long time and done a ton of Corvettes. Let's see yours! I have been here a long time, and if you think Dub's reputation is such because he says so, well you my friend are the one chasing rainbows. I sense a little Dub envy here. Keep acting like you are and for sure we will all come around to your way of thinking.

Oh and one thing is for sure, I couldn't care less about your PM's so no you don't need to show me. Maybe someone cares!

Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 03-26-2017 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Syl1953 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 12:07 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Well, I guess you told me huh?
Old 03-26-2017, 01:03 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Guess so! Now behave yourself lol!��
The following users liked this post:
USAFVeteran (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 01:08 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Guess so! Now behave yourself lol!��
You obviously have no idea who I am.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:23 PM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, getting back to the original reason for this thread.....
I did a little more experimenting today. Here are MY results and MY opinion only !!!

I used the 16/20 medium plastic media in my blasting cabinet. I have to say it worked great !!! I was able to remove everything quick quickly and still not do damage to the fiberglass. I realize this is only a small sample and the true test will be when I start the entire body. I tried to damage the fiberglass since this was a scrap piece and really couldn't do any damage. I'm sure if I got it on a raw edge it would start to tear it apart though. I tried to get a close up so you can see the profile of the fiberglass but not sure if you can tell from the pictures. I was able to leave just a hint of the original primer behind which is what I plan on doing on the rest of the car. I want to be able to block that down before going any further.

PS
Dub, I see what you mean about how the blasting is different in the low areas vs the high areas. You have to move faster so you don't burn a top edge while trying to blast a low spot.
Attached Images    

Last edited by NMT1957; 03-26-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by NMT1957
PS
Dub, I see what you mean about how the blasting is different in the low areas vs the high areas. You have to move faster so you don't burn a top edge while trying to blast a low spot.
THANK YOU for at least commenting on what I mentioned has validity. I have stripped parts on a Corvettes using just about every new 'idea'...except the dry ice method. Each have pro's and con's. The 'trick' is keeping the 'cons' under control.

YES...sometimes even the pros can have an issue due to air currents. This is when the technique has to be changed or damage WILL occur. One thing for sure...a Corvette has numerous 'nooks and crannies' that sometimes this method of stripping paint can do more harm than good. So knowing you are watching what is going on...keep your eyes sharp as an eagles eye. Nothing is worse than self inflicting damage to panels due to not being willing to back off or switch up and change methods of removing paint in some areas of the body,

KNOWING when to change it up....is the difference in a profession with experience and an apprentice. Just 'saying'.

DUB
Old 03-26-2017, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

I UNDERSTAND that this is a test panel...so I AM applauding your efforts.......and this is not the finished product you plan on painting, etc....so I am NOT meaning to 'rain on your parade'...but what I am seeing in this photo is an inconsistency in areas where I see splotches of white and area of faint residue of what looks like red oxide primer.

Also...keep this in mind....what may feel smooth to your hand may actually be abraded enough that may require some additional prep work on it...knowing that you will more than like sand on these panels when completed....BUT....the 'possible' severity of the etching that media CAN DO...can cause it so when you do go and sand an area...it is still rough and may require filling of some type. Once again...I am ONLY commenting form experiences I have run into and MAY NOT reflect what you actually have there in front of you.

So...if any bit of advise I can give to person who is into learning and gettign better and trying a new process out is this. DO NOT do your car as of yet. Take these panels that you are practicing on and get them media blasted and then take them to the next level of prep..and then go one step further and verify that whatever coating you plan on applying on them...such as gelcoat, polyester primer, epoxy primer or a 2K primer..( which is up to you to decide) and see if how you are prepping these panels WILL give an end result that you KNOW will work on your body when you get it done. Assuming that all is good is the 'kiss of death' in my book. And OBVIOUSLY... needing to apply a coating on your panels may not need to be done if you already know how a panel should look before a coating is applied.

DUB
Old 03-26-2017, 07:43 PM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

DUB, I like the idea of taking the panel to the next level and doing the rest of the prep work. I plan on using the polyester primer. I'm going to do another exhaust panel that I have and see how it goes with the epoxy primer. The exhaust panel has a lot of highs and lows and even some crevices around the license plate that would be good test areas.

In the pictures that is what you are seeing. I held off a little so I could leave a little behind to block the car down with. I figured a light sanding would let me inspect every inch of the car to "get to know it" so to speak. Let's face it you have to know each and every area and corner to do the prep properly. I'm sure there will be trouble areas for one reason or another that will keep me up at night. HA.

Ned
Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

YES...knowing every inch of the body is the only way to do this....so...with you not fully removing all the primer, etc is wise...that way you can test and see that if your method is a good one that works to your advantage.

DUB
Old 03-28-2017, 07:29 AM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...knowing every inch of the body is the only way to do this....so...with you not fully removing all the primer, etc is wise...that way you can test and see that if your method is a good one that works to your advantage.

DUB
DUB,

I said Epoxy Primer above. I meant to say Polyester Primer. That is what the PPG Rep suggested. I spoke to him and he said he would be glad to stop and show me the products PPG suggests for an acrylic lacquer paint job. This is the same PPG Rep that came to my shop when I was doing the frame. I needed an etching primer over the galvanizing then a top coat of black.

Ned
Old 03-28-2017, 06:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB,

I said Epoxy Primer above. I meant to say Polyester Primer. That is what the PPG Rep suggested. I spoke to him and he said he would be glad to stop and show me the products PPG suggests for an acrylic lacquer paint job. This is the same PPG Rep that came to my shop when I was doing the frame. I needed an etching primer over the galvanizing then a top coat of black.

Ned
Ned,
I chose to not comment on your using 'epoxy primer' because as from what I gather ..some people feel I try to make them do exactly what I say.

The 'funny' thing about acrylic lacquer...if that is what you plan on using. The most important layer is what the lacquer is going to be applied on.

I can say that I used to use the DP90 and turned it into a sealer when I used to shoot lacquer way back in the mid to late 80's. And I had already shot the body in gelcoat and then the polyester primer prior to that.

DUB
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 PM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

DUB,

The PPG Rep is going to give me their written suggested plan for the lacquer process. I would like to send it to you for your review and comments before I proceed. It's been too long since I've attempted a lacquer paint job. I don't even want to pretend to know what products to use. I have the knowledge and experience of sanding and knowing what to look for but the products are all new now days. I appreciate all of your comments even if it's something I really didn't want to hear, say it.

Ned
Old 03-29-2017, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB,

The PPG Rep is going to give me their written suggested plan for the lacquer process. I would like to send it to you for your review and comments before I proceed. It's been too long since I've attempted a lacquer paint job. I don't even want to pretend to know what products to use. I have the knowledge and experience of sanding and knowing what to look for but the products are all new now days. I appreciate all of your comments even if it's something I really didn't want to hear, say it.

Ned
Ned,
I often times get my backside handed to me because I SAY what needs to be said...in my opinion obviously...so do not worry...I will let you know.

PM me.... so if needed....I can give you my e-mail so you can e-mail me the information.

DUB

Quick Reply: Question about stripping down to the glass