Sponsored by:

A/C Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 PM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default A/C Delete

When I got my 77 the compressor was locked up,I was going to replace it than found the lines were all dried up so they would need replacing also it would need to be converted to new gas. I've decided to get a A/C delete plate and put all the air conditioning parts in a box and save it if I ever sell the car. How many of you have deleted you're air?I'll be keeping the heat I live near Chicago so it gets cold here .

Thanks,Pete
Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Here's my 77. If its too hot, I don't drive it. I also got rid of the heater hoses. If the sun is shining, its OK even in the 40s.

The following 2 users liked this post by BKbroiler:
Primoz (05-31-2017), sparky77 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:06 PM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default still in the process of doing that

Originally Posted by sparky77
When I got my 77 the compressor was locked up,I was going to replace it than found the lines were all dried up so they would need replacing also it would need to be converted to new gas. I've decided to get a A/C delete plate and put all the air conditioning parts in a box and save it if I ever sell the car. How many of you have deleted you're air?I'll be keeping the heat I live near Chicago so it gets cold here .
Thanks,Pete
Mine's a convertible and the compressor was already out when I bought it so the decision was easy.

I replaced the vacuum operated water shutoff with a home depot ball valve. The condenser was a disgusting mouse house. Took some patience to get all that out. The blower motor resistor was mounted in the condenser cover and will have to be mounted somewhere. Haven't figured that out yet. The replacement cover is pricey.

I don't know if a 77 has the air plenum flapper up in the passenger fender but if it does you might want to check it while you have easy access.

I had the passenger side dash, console and gauge cluster out to fix wiring & lighting problems. It was a good time to check all the vacuum connections from the a/c - heat control. Got the fresh air door to work properly. Found a bad defroster actuator - very little fun to get that out but I have a replacement on its way. Going to seal up the gaps in the plenum fittings while I have it all apart.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
sparky77 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 05:20 PM
sparky77
Racer

Took all that out today it was easy since I have the engine and trans out.I went thru all of the vac sys when I got her,right now I have most of the dash out waiting for my Daughters shop to paint vin code white.I had everything working before taking the engine and trans out.I took the fresh air vent out today the gasket was all torn ,ordered a new gasket and the A/C delete housing yesterday also the flaps that go on top of the A arms in the engine compartment I think it will be fun reriviting the 2 pcs of the vent back together.The engine compartment looks alot better now just got to wash it out and paint it .

BKbroiler nice engine compartment where did you get the wire harness for the spark plug wires?

Last edited by sparky77; 03-21-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:03 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Hi Sparky, I also removed the ac from my 77. I glassed the
firewall opening smaller and replaced it with a heater box from
a 69 non air for heat and defrost.

Put a ball valve in the line, just visible under the tank to stop the water in the summer.

sparky77 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky77

BKbroiler nice engine compartment where did you get the wire harness for the spark plug wires?

Sparky - Thanks. I can look up the brand name on my wire loom device, but I doubt that you could use one, unless you have Vortec heads. They have bolts in the center that the device attaches to. If you do, let me know.
sparky77 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:08 PM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

No ac is none of my cars execpt the honda lol. A big plus is weight loss off the front end it all adds up
sparky77 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 PM
sparky77
Racer

Thanks,but I don't have vortec heads.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:53 PM
sparky77
Racer

Tomorrow cleaning and painting the engine compartment .already looks better now that the A/C is gone .I'm going to take some pics so when the painting is done I can get all the wiring and vac lines back in.Did notice that the wiring going to the starter is all frayed so looked that up for a new one ,lectric limited #VSM7778AC just that pc. is 80.00 I guess the Vette tax is high on that wire!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Delete

Quick Reply: A/C Delete