Sponsored by:

OEM Urethane Indy Pace Car Rear Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:16 PM
SpeedRacerMach
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OEM Urethane Indy Pace Car Rear Spoiler

Does anybody still sell OEM style urethane Indy Pace Car Rear Spoiler for a 78-79 C3? All I see advertised is fiberglass. Or is there anywhere I can pickup a good condition used original?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

The three piece front spoiler is available in urethane, but not the rear spoiler, that I'm aware of.

Used ones turn up occasionally, and even NOS ones once in a while. There's a used one on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1979-Ch...dXtITA&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 PM
SpeedRacerMach
Advanced

I think I read somewhere and understand that the fiberglass rear spoiler will require some fitting since it is rigid. Where as the urethane has a better fit without any modification. Is that true?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:43 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedRacerMach
I think I read somewhere and understand that the fiberglass rear spoiler will require some fitting since it is rigid. Where as the urethane has a better fit without any modification. Is that true?
Yes and no.

Fiberglass parts almost always need a little massaging to get a good fit. But, urethane parts don't always fit right either, especially old used ones.

Like anything, some fiberglass parts are made better than others. Owners are usually quick to blame fit issues on the new part, but sometimes the issue can be the car the parts are going on. We're dealing with 40 year old cars, and a lot can happen to these cars over those years. Fiberglass is easy to work with, and it's not to difficult to fit something like a spoiler.

Urethane isn't that rigid or stable a material. With age and use, urethane parts tend to get wavy and out of shape. When it's new, it should fit well, but just like with fiberglass parts, the urethane part can only fit well, if the body it's being mated to is perfect. When you have a fit issue with a urethane part, the only way to get it to fit is to do fiberglass work on the car's body. You can't do much to modify a urethane part, to get it to fit.

It's always easier to fill or grind a fiberglass spoiler or bumper, to get it to fit, than to fill or grind on a nicely painted body, to get a urethane part to fit! This is not a knock on urethane, just something to keep in mind when chasing parts.
SpeedRacerMach (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 12:39 PM
SpeedRacerMach
Advanced

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Yes and no.

Fiberglass parts almost always need a little massaging to get a good fit. But, urethane parts don't always fit right either, especially old used ones.

Like anything, some fiberglass parts are made better than others. Owners are usually quick to blame fit issues on the new part, but sometimes the issue can be the car the parts are going on. We're dealing with 40 year old cars, and a lot can happen to these cars over those years. Fiberglass is easy to work with, and it's not to difficult to fit something like a spoiler.

Urethane isn't that rigid or stable a material. With age and use, urethane parts tend to get wavy and out of shape. When it's new, it should fit well, but just like with fiberglass parts, the urethane part can only fit well, if the body it's being mated to is perfect. When you have a fit issue with a urethane part, the only way to get it to fit is to do fiberglass work on the car's body. You can't do much to modify a urethane part, to get it to fit.

It's always easier to fill or grind a fiberglass spoiler or bumper, to get it to fit, than to fill or grind on a nicely painted body, to get a urethane part to fit! This is not a knock on urethane, just something to keep in mind when chasing parts.
Thanks. Good info. Any recommendations on fiberglass aftermarket spoilers that fit like the OEM using the OEM holes and attachments? I've only see like one fiberglass and it didn't look like it used the side attachment bolts like the urethane one.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Sunset Orng 05
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedRacerMach
Thanks. Good info. Any recommendations on fiberglass aftermarket spoilers that fit like the OEM using the OEM holes and attachments? I've only see like one fiberglass and it didn't look like it used the side attachment bolts like the urethane one.
I just put one on my Pace Car and you are correct, it did not come with side attachment points like the urethane one but I don't think it needs to because it is so rigid it won't flex or warp away from the sides. I did have to add some fiberglass to the spoiler to ensure a tight fight not only on the sides but around the bottom (back) portion as well so it would fit my bumper better. All of the holes lined up rather well.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 PM
Sunset Orng 05
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset Orng 05
I just put one on my Pace Car and you are correct, it did not come with side attachment points like the urethane one but I don't think it needs to because it is so rigid it won't flex or warp away from the sides. I did have to add some fiberglass to the spoiler to ensure a tight fight not only on the sides but around the bottom (back) portion as well so it would fit my bumper better. All of the holes lined up rather well.
Here are a few pics of mine off of the car. You can see where we had to add glass to the back of it to make it fit real nice. It is off the car so we can block and sand it prior to final paint.

SpeedRacerMach (05-08-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 12:11 AM
SpeedRacerMach
Advanced

I was able to locate a used OEM urethane rear spoiler in great shape, primed and ready for paint. It has the inside ends filled-in where the side screws would attach. The AIM doesn't show any nut, so my question to those who have installed or have one of these OEM urethane rear spoilers, 'is the screw (GM #9418857) that secures the end self-tapping?' Also where can I get a set of those screws? What size is it? Thanks!

Last edited by SpeedRacerMach; 05-14-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:32 AM
SpeedRacerMach
Advanced

Never mind I found a thread with a picture of the end, it has some sort of threaded stud.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594733837

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Urethane Indy Pace Car Rear Spoiler

Quick Reply: OEM Urethane Indy Pace Car Rear Spoiler