Sponsored by:

Fuse Access Difficutly - 1980 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 PM
BobM1980RedCorvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Access Difficutly - 1980 Corvette

The fuses/fuse block is WAY under the dashboard, left side. Has anyone found a way to deal with this where in some cases the fuses are all but impossible to easily check and change when needed. AND, is there an accurate guide? The one in the manual doesn't seem to correspond. Contact me also at rem071947@aol.com (that's a "zero" before the 1). Thanks. Any VIDEOS specifically for this. My horn, courtesy lights and cigarette lighter jack all don't work, nor does the newly installed clock.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:09 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

The fuse box location in ALL 3rd generations is an utter pain to access and see. There is no way around this without incredible modifications.

All of the non-working items you mention are on one circuit labeled "CTSY" for "courtesy". Presuming the car is new to you I will say that it is VERY common for this fuse to be removed as there are other things (most notably the alarm system) powered by it as well. The fuse is removed because something in that circuit causes a power draw that drains the battery within a day or so.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Yep- I moved my fuse box..A TON of work!!!

Hope this helps-

A LOT of work- as Mike said...

Old 03-23-2017, 12:20 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The only thing easy about a C3 fuse block is...........

Nothing
The following users liked this post:
mtydings (10-10-2020)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 PM
BobM1980RedCorvette
Heel & Toe

Well, guys; some of this has been helpful & fortunately if there's anything good about this, the CTSY fuse is one of the lowest on the fuse block, so there is potential of reaching, checking and replacing it! 'Hope that's the answer. THANKS, all.

Any further comments are continually welcome on this subject.

Last edited by BobM1980RedCorvette; 03-23-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

If after installing the fuse you hear an intermittent buzzing sound coming from the back of the car there's a good chance the line inside the power antenna has snapped and the motor is kicking on and off overload. You'll find a connector for the antenna just behind the left (driver) rear speaker.

If you immediately hear a click coming from the center console near the shifter when you install the fuse, the alarm system is trying to sound. The problem is almost the finicky arming switch installed on the driver side door key lock. Owner's often disconnect the alarm horn (on the engine firewall near the fuse box connector) but the battery still drains because the relay coil is energized. You can stop the drain by disconnecting the relay located in the center console. To access remove the carpeted panel on the driver side and disconnect the large electrical connector just behind the shifter.

If you intend on doing much work on your Corvette you will soon discover that there are things placed in far less convenient locations than the fuse box

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 03-23-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:28 PM
BobM1980RedCorvette
Heel & Toe

Update: I did pull the CTSY fuse (someone had put a 10 amp fuse there/I replaced with a 20), and pulled a couple other to look at them (none blown). After looking up, I noted the dome light was on, checked the horn- it honked (button falls off easily), the accessory jack worked and the clock second hand was moving. I had noted 1 of the 2 horns under the front cowl there ahead of the vacuum canister for the headlights was disconnected. I plugged the connector onto the horn where was disconnected...and EVERYTHING that had been working a minute before QUIT (clock, accessory jack, horn, etc.). So I am back to "square 1" and the fuse (20 amp) is NOT blown. Any ideas folks? H E L P ! Frustrating.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

You are about to enter a nighmare. I went through stuff when I was stripping down my 78 that you wouldn't believe. Starting with a lot of relays that were piles of rust, to wires that had been cut and spliced with no tape on them to prevent shorts and regular 40 yr old wires that had melted, cracked and had just plain old bare spots on them. I am just reqiring the whole car since I plan on adding some mods ( elec fans, elec headlight motors etc) that this old system was not designed for when it was new, let alone now that it's old. Fires are not vette's friend. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:13 PM
BobM1980RedCorvette
Heel & Toe

Kanvasman and others: well, I thought it odd that somehow by messing with a fuse or two, things were working altogether (CTSY circuit) then NOT. And wondered what took place that they were working for a while and quit. I had the valve cover gaskets repaired the other day locally by a shop that with good recommendations "know their stuff" when it comes to older (vintage) cars, and they said the horn, etc., was working the two times they tested it...but when I did so on the way home from the shop, it was NOT working. Then as I said, earlier today it (the courtesy items) was working ... for a time. Still seeking some ideas on what would have made this success so short lived!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:54 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BobM1980RedCorvette
Update: I did pull the CTSY fuse (someone had put a 10 amp fuse there/I replaced with a 20), and pulled a couple other to look at them (none blown). After looking up, I noted the dome light was on, checked the horn- it honked (button falls off easily), the accessory jack worked and the clock second hand was moving. I had noted 1 of the 2 horns under the front cowl there ahead of the vacuum canister for the headlights was disconnected. I plugged the connector onto the horn where was disconnected...and EVERYTHING that had been working a minute before QUIT (clock, accessory jack, horn, etc.). So I am back to "square 1" and the fuse (20 amp) is NOT blown. Any ideas folks? H E L P ! Frustrating.
Believe me--the horns can fail in a way to cause a dead short. I am though very surprised that the CTSY fuse did not blow. VERIFY that because about the only other thing that would cause everything on that circuit to quit working is fried wires/connections.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:05 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Bob: As a new member here you will find this forum EXTREMELY useful.

When pleading for help it is best if you provide some background information and photos.

Please let us know if the car is new to you!
BobM1980RedCorvette (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:31 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

if you have enjoyed working on the fuse box ,,,,,,,,then you will love changing the brake power booster.for that you take out the seat.i suggest a good led light for working under dash.lots of light and they don't get hot.
BobM1980RedCorvette (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:00 PM
BobM1980RedCorvette
Heel & Toe

SwampEastMike and all: Yes; the car (87k miles) is new to ME. And the horn worked as did other accessories, when I picked it up from the dealer (specialty car/sports cars mostly there).

And as I said prior, where I had it worked on at an independent garage (valve cover gaskets), they said the horn/accessories worked when it was there, and again today when I replaced and/or simply checked some fuses.

Pictures? I wouldn't know what to include that would help illustrate anything. Other than a picture of my frustrated expressions.

Last edited by BobM1980RedCorvette; 03-23-2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: to include responding party's name
Old 03-23-2017, 10:03 PM
BobM1980RedCorvette
Heel & Toe

Default New to Me / yes

Yes; we got it in mid January, and it has 87k mile on it. I tried responding with this information before but don't see it in "the thread".
Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
Bob: As a new member here you will find this forum EXTREMELY useful.

When pleading for help it is best if you provide some background information and photos.

Please let us know if the car is new to you!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 AM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Do the instrument panel lights work when you turn on the headlights?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I was tired of pulling the seat in my '81 to get to the fuse box. I found these on Amazon. They come in long lengths as well. This has been a great tool for getting to those pesky fuses.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:18 AM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

"hi fellows don't know what your problems are as i have no problem reaching the fuses at all".
image processing service

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse Access Difficutly - 1980 Corvette

Quick Reply: Fuse Access Difficutly - 1980 Corvette