Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheeler Dealer's Ed is gone

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM
hummiscorvettetaken
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Maybe with the international success of the show it didn't make financial sense to continue the present format. Lets not get ahead of ourselves as this is still a version of "reality TV" - I can see the show continuing on just fine with another charismatic Brit mechanic while at the same time Ed gets a spin off where he can continue showing off his mechanical engineering skills. Velocity would bring in more cash from two shows over one, Fast and Loud / Misfit Garage ?
Old 03-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Must say I'm gutted to see that Ed is leaving the show, I liked the combo of Mike and Ed, the lack of soap opera drama in a car show was refreshing and seeing detailed mechanical work being done and intimating that anyone with a few clues and tools could perform most of it too was great. Velocity look like they will dumb the show down as far as the mechanical side goes to increase profit (corporate mentality) but fail to realise that is one of the very reasons the show is so popular, fixing something that wasn't broken.
Reminds me of one of the reasons I like my C3 so much, it has an engineers dashboard with real gauges instead of aptly nicknamed "idiot lights". The dashboard was dumbed down in a way like the wheeler dealer show looks like it will be.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:23 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

And he worn safety equipment, Welded with a shield, used gloves and was still Super
Old 03-25-2017, 08:13 AM
OURSHARK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well everyone has expressed there feelings, I feel the same. All I can say is thank you so very much Velocity channel for ruining another show!!

v
Old 03-25-2017, 09:10 AM
momo608
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the show, not near my favorite, but the whole thing is contrived. No one knows that much about the mechanics of all cars as Ed seemed to know. I always wonder how much Velocity pays the workers on these shows and you have to wonder how much is left to pay them after all the production costs. Not that many people are into working on old cars so I would think audience size is pretty limited for the Velocity channel. If Ed is leaving it tells me audience numbers are declining and it's time for a revamp. Unfortunately and apparently fake drama sells, there's plenty of that here, drama anyway. People like it, otherwise there would be less of it. There are still good shows on the channel for those that actually work on their own cars but the channel has to appeal to those that don't and there are more of those. All those guys with stalled projects probably go for the drama but won't admit it.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:44 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

My wife, who has zero mechanical no how, or desire, enjoys watching Wheeler Dealers (albeit, I'm sure heavily influenced by me).

My 83 year old mother in law, watches HGTV, and DIY all of the time, she has never remodeled a house, and has zero desire to do so, she just enjoys watching the show.

Fake drama, unrealistic deadlines, unrealistic profits, it's all just ENTERTAINMENT.

A spin off show starring Ed, would seem a natural winner.

Bottom line, if it's car related, I will watch, knowing full well that the majority of it is contrived BS.
Just entertainment folks, not to be taken seriously.

We often question where is our hobby going?
Like it or not, but when these types of shows air, it brings in a large audience, which can only spark interest in the old car hobby..interest equals continued life of our hobby (not a bad thing).
Old 03-25-2017, 11:29 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Well, if Edd's gone, I'm going to have to say to Velocity, "Ta-lah".
Old 03-26-2017, 03:23 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,127 Likes on 733 Posts

I have gutted 3 housed and will never do another.. BUT..

I sometimes watch REHAB ADDICT - prefer the summer shows

A lot of the shows are a spin off of "reality TV" . It gives the watchers a feeling of being there...

It's a shame that a lot of the shows that actually showed how things were done have gone to "not all the steps and items needed were shown" = basically infomercials.

I miss the Science / Handyman shows from the 60's.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 AM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Well crap... WD was my favorite BECAUSE of Edd and the time/attention spent on the repair details! Almost every other car show is unwatchable (and certainly not educational in the least).
Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

At least these episodes are on YouTube now.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Ed just put out a new video on Youtube about how Mike and his family are now getting death threats. That's nuts.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Wheeler dealers WAS the only real car show on TV. Unlike others which have "drama" fabricated to hold the viewers interest. Then there are the non stop ads that show up selling this or that. I HATE that the American market killed this show. To think the show was TOO hard to produce says a lot about American TV as a whole if the GB market was doing it for 13 years. I am very sorry to see Edd go and I hope he is back SOON with something even bigger. If the new WD is to become a copy of the other "car shows" with its drama and marketing commercials then I will not continue to watch...very sad.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:01 PM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't understand why there can't just be a show about the subtleties of restoring different types
of old cars and that's it. No drama, no storyline, no deadlines for Sema, no big reveal, no auctions, and no hack jobs. Maybe once in a while they can keep the stock ride height, wheels, and hub caps. And when they use the work "restore" they actually know what that means.

Quick Reply: Wheeler Dealer's Ed is gone