Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Cloth or Vinyl Convertible top.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:47 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 68 Cloth or Vinyl Convertible top.

Hi all.I will be in need of a new convertible top for my 68. I was on line and came across Robbins Convertible tops. They have 2 styles avail. 1 is the cloth for $440 and the other is the vinyl for $239. I read that Robbins tops are very well made and come with a 6 yr warranty. The price is not a big issue between the 2 for me ,its more of the quality. I do have a vinyl on now and i had a vinyl top on my 69 but i never seen a cloth top before. Does anyone have a cloth top? If so how do u like it and how does it compare to the vinyl top. Also what do u think of Robbins tops?
Old 03-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi MR,
Paul 74 is a real advocate of the cloth top!
I think it depends how you want the car to look as to which you choose.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Shorebird10
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a Robbins top for my Miata, rear window dimensions were different than OEM, I was disappointed. As for quality, the Robbins top was very good, not excellent. Overall I was happy with the top.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:56 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi MR,
Paul 74 is a real advocate of the cloth top!
I think it depends how you want the car to look as to which you choose.
Regards,
Alan
So another words Paul 74 loves the cloth top? What are the differences in looks? Besides one being cloth and one being vinyl? I want to stay original as possible but want a very good convert top .
Old 03-25-2017, 03:58 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Shorebird10
I bought a Robbins top for my Miata, rear window dimensions were different than OEM, I was disappointed. As for quality, the Robbins top was very good, not excellent. Overall I was happy with the top.
So what did u do about the dimensions being off? did u return it ? Or u made it fit.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:09 PM
Shorebird10
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The demensions of the window were different that the OEM top, didn't notice until top was on. If you want the window to be the same size as it came off the factory line, then check out window demensions for the Robbins.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MikesRed68
So another words Paul 74 loves the cloth top? What are the differences in looks? Besides one being cloth and one being vinyl? I want to stay original as possible but want a very good convert top .
Unless you own a Mercedes-Benz, a Haartz cloth top will not look original. That cloth is used on higher end cars. Why? It is pliable, wrinkle resistant, and will not crack as vinyl does. In other words, very high quality.

Your call: go for the ordinary vinyl or go for the best. If you want originality go ordinary.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:26 PM
hummiscorvettetaken
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

For what its worth, I just had the old vinyl top replaced on my 59 with an Al Knoch cloth top - after seeing the result I don't think I would ever go with vinyl again!
The following users liked this post:
MikesRed68 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 05:53 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Shorebird10
The demensions of the window were different that the OEM top, didn't notice until top was on. If you want the window to be the same size as it came off the factory line, then check out window demensions for the Robbins.
What was the difference in size?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:58 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

[QUOTE=paul 74;1594381640]Unless you own a Mercedes-Benz, a Haartz cloth top will not look original. That cloth is used on higher end cars. Why? It is pliable, wrinkle resistant, and will not crack as vinyl does. In other words, very high quality.

Your call: go for the ordinary vinyl or go for the best. If you want originality go ordinary.

[/QUOTE Hi Paul 74 Is that yours with the cloth top? Very nice but from the pics you cant even tell it is cloth. Is that a Robbins cloth top?

Last edited by MikesRed68; 03-25-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:00 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by hummiscorvettetaken
For what its worth, I just had the old vinyl top replaced on my 59 with an Al Knoch cloth top - after seeing the result I don't think I would ever go with vinyl again!
Thanks im really leaning toward the cloth top...
Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Well , as far as quality I recommend Robbins tops on here all of the time when this subject comes up . I've installed many tops and theirs are always top quality . I wouldn't say the same for Al Knoch. But vinyl or cloth is a personal choice thing as far as looks but the cloth has a rich look and won't get the permanent wrinkle lines that vinyl will if you are the type to leave your top down for long periods of time. Vinyl is easier to keep clean and light color cloth tops tend to stain as being talked about in a recent thread where the top has mold on it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Well , as far as quality I recommend Robbins tops on here all of the time when this subject comes up . I've installed many tops and theirs are always top quality . I wouldn't say the same for Al Knoch. But vinyl or cloth is a personal choice thing as far as looks but the cloth has a rich look and won't get the permanent wrinkle lines that vinyl will if you are the type to leave your top down for long periods of time. Vinyl is easier to keep clean and light color cloth tops tend to stain as being talked about in a recent thread where the top has mold on it.
That mold would not be there if RaggTopp had been used.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:14 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Thank you for that info.... I will be going for the Robbins cloth black top for my 68. BTW. You said u install them? Would u install mine when the time comes ? The weather is getting nice out. Mike
Old 03-25-2017, 09:01 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Thank you for that info.... I will be going for the Robbins cloth black top for my 68. BTW. You said u install them? Would u install mine when the time comes ? The weather is getting nice out. Mike
I don't know of any shop that will refuse to install the Robbins top for you . I closed my shop over three years ago and retired but I'm still too busy working for past collector customers to retire and too busy to take on any more clients . The only top that I know of that local shops refuse to install are Al Knoch .
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

I don't know of any shop that will refuse to install the Robbins top for you . I closed my shop over three years ago and retired but I'm still too busy working for past collector customers to retire and too busy to take on any more clients . The only top that I know of that local shops refuse to install are Al Knoch .
Well that is good to know about the Robbins tops. Why do they refuse Al Knoch tops? Not that im going to get one, just curious..Thank u anyway.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by paul 74
That mold would not be there if RaggTopp had been used.
I have been hearing a lot about Ragg Topp and I'm sure it is a good product but I'm not sure anything will protect from the mold problem that we have been seeing from air pollution in our area . It is everywhere and turning white house roofs black with mold that is very hard to keep cleaned.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Cloth or Vinyl Convertible top.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:08 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Btw what year is your red ragtop?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:12 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Well that is good to know about the Robbins tops. Why do they refuse Al Knoch tops? Not that im going to get one, just curious..Thank u anyway.
Same reason that I stopped using them. Their quality control has gone down in recent years and the tops are usually cut too short with bunched up material where they sew the binder edges on causing wrinkles in the top that are impossible to stretch out. Very poor quality. Who needs the hassle when you have Robbins.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:14 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mikesred68
btw what year is your red ragtop?

Quick Reply: 68 Cloth or Vinyl Convertible top.