Sponsored by:

Steering column re-install issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 PM
E.Murray
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Steering column re-install issue

I pulled the standard steering column out to replace the lower bearing and when I went to put it back in... it's suddenly too short. As in like 1.5" away from the rag joint. I pulled it back out and managed to pull the shaft out maybe 1/4" but that's it. I can't get the coupling to reach both the steering shaft and the gear box. I know it's something so stupid I'm going to wish I hadn't asked. But, I'm stumped. The flange is up against the firewall inside and the steering gear box is mounted firmly. What did I do?

Old 03-25-2017, 11:02 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I'll go get a picture of my 68s...

Not sure that I'll be able to tell anything, but I'll look.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:21 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I'll go get a picture of my 68s...

here you go.... looks like there is something missing. Not sure what that collar is called, nor if our columns are different.
Attached Images  

Last edited by carriljc; 03-25-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:40 PM
E.Murray
Racer

Originally Posted by carriljc

here you go.... looks like there is something missing. Not sure what that collar is called, nor if our columns are different.
I have a '69 column, so maybe that's what the deal is? Mine is supposed to have a tab that goes to the transmission interlock, but it's not there. Never seen that collar. Either way, it looks like yours is long enough to reach. And mine used to be. I've taken it out four times and pulled it apart and can't figure out what I did wrong. Thanks for the pic.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by E.Murray
I have a '69 column, so maybe that's what the deal is? Mine is supposed to have a tab that goes to the transmission interlock, but it's not there. Never seen that collar. Either way, it looks like yours is long enough to reach. And mine used to be. I've taken it out four times and pulled it apart and can't figure out what I did wrong. Thanks for the pic.

I had a similar problem on the column on my 68 convert, which is similar to your column. You are missing the collar, the spring and the washer that is on the rag joint end, but that is not your problem. Loosen everything up on the rag joint end and on the steering wheel end. The upper bearing has to fit in the round "pocket" that secures the top of the steering column inside the steering column outer tube. If you pulled the column out, the bearing is hitting the pocket, but is not centered and is not fully inserted. I had to jiggle mine around quite a bit, while pressing down to move it into place. It finally snapped into place and moved down about 3/4 inch. It also moved back out as soon as I let go of it, so you may need to have someone help hold it in place while you tighten things up.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:06 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi EM,
I don't know if these will help?
It shows a typical gap between the the steering column shaft and the shaft in the steering box.
Is there something that can prevent the shaft from being pulled back out after it's been 'collapsed'?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-26-2017 at 08:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PHIL 68 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 09:32 AM
E.Murray
Racer

Originally Posted by ronarndt
I had a similar problem on the column on my 68 convert, which is similar to your column. You are missing the collar, the spring and the washer that is on the rag joint end, but that is not your problem. Loosen everything up on the rag joint end and on the steering wheel end. The upper bearing has to fit in the round "pocket" that secures the top of the steering column inside the steering column outer tube. If you pulled the column out, the bearing is hitting the pocket, but is not centered and is not fully inserted. I had to jiggle mine around quite a bit, while pressing down to move it into place. It finally snapped into place and moved down about 3/4 inch. It also moved back out as soon as I let go of it, so you may need to have someone help hold it in place while you tighten things up.
When you say to loosen everything up on the steering wheel end, do you mean that I need to disassemble the turn signal hardware and ignition switch so I can get into the top part?
Thanks, Alan, for the pictures. They do show that my steering shaft isn't sticking out far enough.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:56 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi EM,
Maybe this will be a guide as to how much length you're looking for.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column re-install issue

Quick Reply: Steering column re-install issue