C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to buy an 80-82 C3. Talk me into or out of it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

From the "Talk me out of it" camp; I prefer the '77 and older, esp. the '68-'72, and '74(no black rubber "bumperettes"). I don't care for the bubble back glass, nor the bumpers, nor the interiors on the later C3s. Just personal opinion, no offense to guys who have them. I DAMN sure don't like the electronics or MissFire fuel injection, no apologies on that. The overdrive and fiberglass spring is about all I like better on the late cars, and plan to add them to mine in the future.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Let me simplify it for you:

Decide which car you really like.........

Then buy the car............You REALLY REALLY LIKE!

This is the best advice . Pretty much any car you can think of is available thanks to the internet. No so when I was hunting for the car I have now in the late 70s and 1980's . Today...You have it made finding THE CAR you really want. I'm jealous I spent 10 years looking. .....I had other vettes , but I always kept looking....ads and newspaper , very frustrating it was.

Pick the year , the style coupe or convertible, engine , color , transmission .write it down .....study it .

Then hunt the car you want . Then don't be cheap , buy the closest to what you want in the best condition possible.

The object is to be happy , not partially happy ......you'll be spending a lot of time and money .....be sure it's on the exact car of your dreams . People might have better spouses or luck with marriage.if they used my formula too. LOL

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 04-20-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
you'll be spending a lot of time and money ..... People might have better spouses or luck with marriage.if they used my formula too. LOL
Truth.

Last edited by Richard Daugird; 04-21-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:37 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

Great thread and great pictures of some awesome cars. Another vote for the '82 here....I know you're not surprised by that!

I've had an '82 in the garage since 1996. Why an '82? That's the year I graduated high school and the car I wanted then. I'll admit I looked at a couple of 1980 L82 cars but after researching and driving realized the 30+HP was not worth the $$$.

Threads like this always bring out the crossfire questions. My experience in 21 years is that the L83 crossfire engine and 700R4 tranny is very reliable, great low end torque, decent gas mileage overall and easy to work on if you leave the system alone. It is what it is; the return to FI for the Corvette with a remarkable computer control (for the time), making 200HP/285 Torque that relies on all the vacuum & smog crap to make it happen.

A few other random thoughts on the '82. The CEs are beautiful but literally make up 25% of the cars made that year. Prices remain high on the CE for the most part but a repaint includes the fancy and pricey body/hood faded decal. The CE only lift back glass is awesome but only at car shows...you won't lift much over the rear deck to put in the back of the car!

Last thing, should you decide on an '82, check out the two-tones, obviously my favorite! Yes, a repaint is twice the fun but if you find a nice one with good original paint she'll be a real head turner!

The following users liked this post:
JohnRogers (04-24-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:10 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

One of the few 2 tone cars that actually look real nice dont change a thing
noone buys TBI cars for power....when right they are dead nuts reliable.
Love early EFI its so simple

Quick Reply: I want to buy an 80-82 C3. Talk me into or out of it!