Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 headlights

Old 10-07-2005, 05:39 PM
palazzopl
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 headlights

anyone know how to get these headlight to open and close ..the drivers side closes if I open it manually the passenger side doesn't work at all..The switch inside does nothing..
Old 10-08-2005, 11:51 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

First of all, you might want to repost this question in the "general" section. You'll get more traffic there.

Although I'm not an expert on this my any stretch, I should be able to get you started in the right direction. Also, there is a pretty good manual on trouble shooting headlights at most of the parts vendors (Ecklers, Corvette America...) as well as on corvettefaq.

The headlights are open and closed by a vacuum system. The switch on your dash (headlight switch) runs both the electrical and the vacuum switch. Unless your system is in excellent shape, the lights won't come up unless the engine is running. There is also an override switch sticking out of the bottom of the dash below the steering column. I think that this should be in the up position under normal use. You might want to find a verify the position of the bypass.

The most likely cause of your problem is worn or damaged vacuum hoses, though the reservoir or actuators may well be leaking as well. The place I would start is by getting one of the manuals and troubleshoot the system. Alternately, you might purchase one of the hose kits start there. I like Doc Rebuild but there are many others.

Hope this helps a little.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1981 headlights