Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB front spreader bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 PM
MikeD72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB front spreader bar

Hi , I'm looking to buy a front spreader bar for my 72 vette to stiffen my front end . Hopefully will get me better handle on freeway and in sharp turns . It was a recommended by a friend . So if anyone has one for sale ?? Otherwise i herd VBP has one that's bolts on with no welding , as speed direct any advice in which one to get VBP is $150 and speed direct is $ 96 ?? Thx
Old 08-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I just installed a "no weld" bar in my '78. Mechanical fan, totally stock.
Fit like OJ's glove. Tight. But it fit.

Speed direct bar. No idea who made it, perhaps SD I don't know.

Been raining for almost two weeks. When its not raining I'm not home to drive it Other than around the block. So far so good.

I'd been watching for a FS bar here, but in the last few months nothing.

Dodosmike
Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM
MikeD72
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
I just installed a "no weld" bar in my '78. Mechanical fan, totally stock.
Fit like OJ's glove. Tight. But it fit.

Speed direct bar. No idea who made it, perhaps SD I don't know.

Been raining for almost two weeks. When its not raining I'm not home to drive it Other than around the block. So far so good.

I'd been watching for a FS bar here, but in the last few months nothing.

Dodosmike
Hi was it a VBP bar ??

Last edited by MikeD72; 08-21-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeD72
Hi was it a VBP bar ??
Speed direct bar.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 PM
DAVID SLUDER
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a speed direct bolt on that was on my 69 that i took off because i installed a Big Block and it was in the way, I will sell it for 75.00 plus shipping
Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DAVID SLUDER
I have a speed direct bolt on that was on my 69 that i took off because i installed a Big Block and it was in the way, I will sell it for 75.00 plus shipping
Good deal. As long as it has the adjustable mounding brackets with the oval shaped holes.

http://www.speeddirect.com/index.php...3-spreader-bar

Dodosmike
Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 AM
MikeD72
Advanced

Ok so I orders the spreader bar from speed direct , look like the install is pretty direct . So now that my front end should get stiffer with the spreader bar , any suggestion for the rear end ?? Mine is stock apart from bilstein shocks and a 7 leaf spring .
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Ok so I orders the spreader bar from speed direct , look like the install is pretty direct . So now that my front end should get stiffer with the spreader bar , any suggestion for the rear end ?? Mine is stock apart from bilstein shocks and a 7 leaf spring .
What are trying to do with the rear?

There are sooooo many things that should be looked at.
Have you searched the c3 tech and c3 general sections?

Bushings, bearings, spring, u-joints, tire pressures, alignments and shocks. They all play a role.

Dodosmike
Old 08-22-2014, 10:29 AM
MikeD72
Advanced

Originally Posted by DAVID SLUDER
Sorry for some reason I didn't see Ur message so I bought a new one cost me 120 , I could of saved some $$ . Thx
Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 PM
MikeD72
Advanced

Default I forgot about shims

So I got the spreader bar from speed direct and was measuring things out and saw that the passenger wheel where the speed direct bracket goes I got 5 shim on the left bolt and I shim on the right bolt so when I put the bar it's aming toward the fan . So my thought was to remove the bolt ont the left fit in the bracket with leaving the right bolt in place and adding a couple washer on top of the bolt to level the bracket out and adding a bolt on the right side of the bracket to secure it . Lol , Hope that makes any sense ?? My driver side wheel isn't that bad but still has a couple shims . And assuming i balance the driver side too the spreader bar will be too long by maybe two inches or so , so maybe I can cut off an inch or call speed direct for a replacement . Now my question is will balancing out the bracket with washers and knowing that I have so many shims can the bolt take the pressure of it all ?? Can this be safe ?? Thx
Old 08-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

So I got the spreader bar from speed direct and was measuring things out and saw that the passenger wheel where the speed direct bracket goes I got 5 shim on the left bolt and I shim on the right bolt so when I put the bar it's aming toward the fan . So my thought was to remove the bolt ont the left fit in the bracket with leaving the right bolt in place and adding a couple washer on top of the bolt to level the bracket out and adding a bolt on the right side of the bracket to secure it . Lol , Hope that makes any sense ?? My driver side wheel isn't that bad but still has a couple shims . And assuming i balance the driver side too the spreader bar will be too long by maybe two inches or so , so maybe I can cut off an inch or call speed direct for a replacement . Now my question is will balancing out the bracket with washers and knowing that I have so many shims can the bolt take the pressure of it all ?? Can this be safe ?? Thx

Photos are worth a thousand words. Post pics.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...installed.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nment-etc.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ount-help.html

Pics there

Dodosmike

Last edited by Dodosmike; 08-28-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:19 AM
MikeD72
Advanced

Thx for the info , it seems like I can get the spreader bar to line up with more shims for the bracket to level it out and with keeping my a- arm shims set up . That's just makes a lot of shims !! Lol , but I like to keep it as original as possible . Thx

Get notified of new replies

To WTB front spreader bar

Quick Reply: WTB front spreader bar