Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB New Rocker Moldings for a 72

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM
BlownZ51
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default WTB New Rocker Moldings for a 72

Hello all!

I'm looking for a new set of rocker moldings for my 72 coupe. All the aftermarket vendors that I have contacted indicate the parts are on back order due to a tooling issue. Anybody have a set of these laying around they would like to sell?

I would consider used but they must be in exceptional shape as these will be going on my frame of restoration project which is almost complete.

Thanks!!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi B,
I'll ask the loaded question….with or without tabs?
The current reproductions don't have the tabs.
Originals in excellent condition are very serious money, and almost non- existent.
Restored originals are serious money too, and rare, since it's not easy to find people capable of doing the needed preparation, and then the anodizing.
What are you looking for?
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM
BlownZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi B,
I'll ask the loaded question….with or without tabs?
The current reproductions don't have the tabs.
Originals in excellent condition are very serious money, and almost non- existent.
Restored originals are serious money too, and rare, since it's not easy to find people capable of doing the needed preparation, and then the anodizing.
What are you looking for?
Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan,
I wasnt aware there was a difference in regards to tabs or no tabs. I am ok with aftermarket as long as they fit the car and look pretty much original. Is there additional work required to get the aftermaket moldings to fit? I do have the originals but they are not in the best shape. I believe somebody at one time drilled an extra hole in them as well.
Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Aftermarkets are fairly easy to detect as Non-Original. I do not know about fitment, but you can tell by the bends on the ends of the moldings, they are not very sharp. If your are original they will have a little tab under the front end of the molding for attachment to the bottom of the fender. If yours do not have the tab they are not original to the car, they could be the later GM 74 to 77 moldings though.
You will have a hard time finding someplace to annodize your old ones, but you may be able to get them polished/dents removed for about the price of replacements.
Joe
Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 PM
BlownZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by jhudec
Aftermarkets are fairly easy to detect as Non-Original. I do not know about fitment, but you can tell by the bends on the ends of the moldings, they are not very sharp. If your are original they will have a little tab under the front end of the molding for attachment to the bottom of the fender. If yours do not have the tab they are not original to the car, they could be the later GM 74 to 77 moldings though.
You will have a hard time finding someplace to annodize your old ones, but you may be able to get them polished/dents removed for about the price of replacements.
Joe
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the input. I'm in the Dayton Ohio area and I am not aware of anybody who would do annodizing. Any ideas of maybe a plating company? My moldings are in fairly rough shape too. I believe one was even bent slightly. I would think they would require several hours of repair if they could be saved. I initially thought I would paint them but I dont think that would look right.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:17 AM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Send me a few detailed pics of the moldings and I will give you my opinion. I have a set being worked on now and one of them was really bad, so I will let you know how they come out. I do not have anyone annodizing them either at the moment. The place doing the work is up here in northern Ohio.
Send pics to
jhudec2001@yahoo.com
if you like.
Joe
Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 PM
BlownZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by jhudec
Send me a few detailed pics of the moldings and I will give you my opinion. I have a set being worked on now and one of them was really bad, so I will let you know how they come out. I do not have anyone annodizing them either at the moment. The place doing the work is up here in northern Ohio.
Send pics to
jhudec2001@yahoo.com
if you like.
Joe
I appreciate your help! I will get some photos sent over to you tomoorow.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 PM
cdl49
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a set with one tab split open. they are not perfect as new but pretty nice. would take 250 for them. if interested will send you some pics.

Dean
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi BZ,
If you're NOT interested in originality judging the reproduction rocker trim panels make a pretty good appearance.
The fit is good except for an area under the door near the rear where the top of the trim panel starts to slope down toward the rear wheel opening.
The reproduction doesn't match the bottom of door's shape as well as the originals do.
The price of the reproductions makes them an attractive alternative to originals even if the reproductions aren't so great.
It's the folks looking for excellent trim with tabs that have been tearing their hair out and asking for better reproductions.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 PM
BlownZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by cdl49
I have a set with one tab split open. they are not perfect as new but pretty nice. would take 250 for them. if interested will send you some pics.

Dean
Hi Dean,

I would be interested in seeing pics. Please send to TurboWh1@woh.rr.com

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-28-2014, 10:05 PM
BlownZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi BZ,
If you're NOT interested in originality judging the reproduction rocker trim panels make a pretty good appearance.
The fit is good except for an area under the door near the rear where the top of the trim panel starts to slope down toward the rear wheel opening.
The reproduction doesn't match the bottom of door's shape as well as the originals do.
The price of the reproductions makes them an attractive alternative to originals even if the reproductions aren't so great.
It's the folks looking for excellent trim with tabs that have been tearing their hair out and asking for better reproductions.
Regards,
Alan
Hey Alan,

I would gladly take a set of aftermarkets. I have called about every vendor under the sun and they all tell me the rocker moldings are on back order with no know ETA. Do you know anybody that would have a set in stock? My car is numbers matching but I can make a consession on the moldings as I have some other aftermarket items on my vette as well.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To WTB New Rocker Moldings for a 72

Quick Reply: WTB New Rocker Moldings for a 72