Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB aftermarket 69' side exhaust rear exhaust panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:20 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts

Default WTB aftermarket 69' side exhaust rear exhaust panel

Hi again,
Some of you may have seen my post looking for side exhaust covers. I am still kicking that idea around and since I do not have a factory side pipe car (damn) I will need an aftermarket rear exhaust panel with the filler for the under car exhaust pipes.

Anyone have one of these laying around anywhere?

Joe
Old 12-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Joe,
The aftermarket panels with the 'ears' don't fit all that well….. to the extent that they generally require fiberglass work on both the panel and the quarter panels.
You might consider an after market side exhaust rear panel which requires no work, and filling the missing part of the quarter panel using original flanges (they're available) and some fiberglass mat.
The side pipes are are so costly, and the look so great, that it's a shame to not do them as well as you can.
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-15-2014, 06:48 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Alan,
Thanks, I did see a 69' some years back with the aftermarket panel I was thinking of and it fit quite well. I did not want to permanently alter the rear quarter area of the exhaust in case I ever sell the car or want to put the under car exhaust back on.
I agree, expensive but I found a nice set of factory pipes at a reasonable price and maybe Santa will be good to me for the rest?
Joe
Tell me more about what your idea is........
Old 12-16-2014, 01:32 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

OK, so I have been thinking about what Alan suggested. I am thinking that I could use my original panel. To fill in the under car exhaust outlets, I could get some old bezel's, remove the outer chrome lips and fabricate(have the body guys do it) an end with fiberglass that will be painted same as the exhaust panel. This filler would be secured by the original bezel holes/screws and hardly be noticeable. I could then just remove and replace with original bezels if I go back to under car exhaust.
Is this what you were thinking Alan?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Joe,
It's a lot less work if you buy an original used or aftermarket rear valance for a side exhaust car.
This fills half the gap and gives you half the flange you'll need to make the connection from the valance to the quarter panel.
Also buy a left and right flange for the quarter panels, these will help you or your body-man determine just what shape the filer piece he'll need to fabricate should be.
The result looks like the original side-exhaust rear body. If you're going to spring for the cost of pipes, insulators, and shields, it's a shame to not do the rear body up right.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To WTB aftermarket 69' side exhaust rear exhaust panel

Quick Reply: WTB aftermarket 69' side exhaust rear exhaust panel