Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: 1969-1972 A/C Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Bally
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Default WTB: 1969-1972 A/C Evaporator

WTB: Evaporator for my '71 LS5.
Mine has a pinhole under the main tube fitting; I'm pretty sure it's not repairable so I am looking for a good used replacement, one that's been tested recently to be air tight.
Thanks,
Bally
Old 01-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Bally
Instructor

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

ttt
Old 02-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Bally
Instructor

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

ttt
Old 02-03-2015, 07:49 PM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bally
WTB: Evaporator for my '71 LS5.
Mine has a pinhole under the main tube fitting; I'm pretty sure it's not repairable so I am looking for a good used replacement, one that's been tested recently to be air tight.
Thanks,
Bally
Try taking it to a good welder who can weld aluminum. If it is just a pinhole I bet it can be welded up. Worth a try.
Jeff
Old 02-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Bally
Instructor

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jeffstuarts
Try taking it to a good welder who can weld aluminum. If it is just a pinhole I bet it can be welded up. Worth a try.
Jeff
You know Jeff, it may just be worth a try. Not a lot available and new is certainly pricey.
Thanks!
cheers:
Bally
Old 02-06-2015, 03:50 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a NOS GM evaporator $300 shipped.
Mark
Old 02-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Tom Larsen
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bally
You know Jeff, it may just be worth a try. Not a lot available and new is certainly pricey.
Thanks!
cheers:
Bally
I tried to have the one from my '72 LS-5 welded but it didn't hold. I ordered an e-bay piece from a California company and it was awful, the worst repro piece I've ever purchased. It went right back. Ended up getting and Old air piece. Fit and function is nice but they use aluminum nuts on the tubes. Not steel like the originals. If you don't need it to be correct it's a good option. If not 300 for an NOS isn't bad. I found one when I was looking and the seller wanted 400 + shipping.

I know first hand how difficult getting the thing out is, I'd go new whichever route you choose. Good luck!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Bally
Instructor

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom Larsen
I tried to have the one from my '72 LS-5 welded but it didn't hold. I ordered an e-bay piece from a California company and it was awful, the worst repro piece I've ever purchased. It went right back. Ended up getting and Old air piece. Fit and function is nice but they use aluminum nuts on the tubes. Not steel like the originals. If you don't need it to be correct it's a good option. If not 300 for an NOS isn't bad. I found one when I was looking and the seller wanted 400 + shipping.

I know first hand how difficult getting the thing out is, I'd go new whichever route you choose. Good luck!!!
Tom,
Thanks for the advice, which as it happened I read after purchasing a new repro unit from Classic Auto Air out of Tampa on Friday. Good to know purchasing new (or NOS) was the only way to go, painful as it was on the wallet! I'll bet I know the company out of California that you tried; I spoke with someone there, which did not instill confidence, then I studied photos of their unit and noticed some things that just didn't look right compared to the original Harrison evaporator.

Mark,
Sorry I didn't receive your reply before buying new. An NOS unit would have been great. Oh well, maybe it'll end up in a future 100% correct show car, where it probably belongs. My '71 LS5 is just going to be a very nice body-off restored driver, though I've made a great effort for it to appear factory correct, refurbishing original pieces or using NOS whenever possible. The car should be completed by April (it's been off the road nearly 6 years).

Thanks again to all those who replied.

Cheers!
Bally

Last edited by Bally; 02-09-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: 1969-1972 A/C Evaporator

Quick Reply: WTB: 1969-1972 A/C Evaporator