Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to understand spare tire wheel cosmetics

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:01 AM
C3s4me
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trying to understand spare tire wheel cosmetics

I have a 69 that was missing the original spare tire and wheel. I know the date code for the wheel needs to be correct but what I am confused about is I have seen some slightly newer spare wheels that were black in color on the front instead of the silver color. Are original spare wheels supposed to be the same color on the front as the other four "silver", or are they supposed to be black on the front? thx...r
Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi S,
All the rally wheels were painted the same long before it was known if it would end up being used to mount one of the 4 road tires or the spare. Someone was mounting tires on the wheels and they were ending up either on the car or in the tire tub.
So the whole wheel was painted black and then the outer side was painted silver in a quick, pretty careless fashion with just a bit of silver blowing through the holes and ending up on the rear (black) side.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-08-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:31 AM
C3s4me
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi S,
All the rally wheels were painted the same long before it was known if it would end up being used to mount one of the 4 road tires or the spare. Someone was mounting tires on the wheels and they were ending up either on the car or in the tire tub.
So the whole wheel was painted black and then the outer side was painted silver in a quick, pretty careless fashion with just a bit of silver blowing through the holes and ending up on the rear (black) side.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan... I switch this thread to the general area probably while you were typing....LOL!
So no differences... Thanks, thats what I needed to know. I found an additional wheel with the proper date code and just wanted to make sure it was correct as a spare. The original 4 that came with the car are very difficult to read date codes because they were made in November.. The "11" is tough to see on all the wheels but its there. I am concerned if I clean them up for paint they will no longer be visible....r
Old 01-08-2016, 11:54 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Shalom
Thanks Alan... I switch this thread to the general area probably while you were typing....LOL!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-one-day.html

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to understand spare tire wheel cosmetics

Quick Reply: Trying to understand spare tire wheel cosmetics