Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 Block

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Dockroger
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LT1 Block

I bought this short block part #3966921 from a local Chevrolet dealership back in 1975
It was used for a very short time in a hobby dirt track car
Until the team partnership was dissolved the same season
One of the partners hung on to the engine and recently passed away
I recently was invited by his estate to purchase some of his automotive related goods
Unfortunately the engines internals are nowhere to be found
What we have left is the original standard bore 3970010 block
That is stamped on the bottom deck V0375921
With a casting date of C 175
The block was never painted and appears the same way it did when pulled out of its crate back in 75
The proper wind age tray bolts are missing
Offered at $475.00 Crated
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Dockroger
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More photos available
Old 11-29-2019, 01:56 PM
Duster73
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the CE and CO designations were replacement over the counter engines. Which explains the 75 date code. I had a CE engine with a mid 70's date code as well. There are many other things one can look for in identifying an LT-1 engine. As mentioned the tach and intake, but also deep groove pullys, solid lifter cam, windage tray, and a 780 vacuum secondary dual feed carburetor. Perfornance testing to identify is a poor method. A tired or poorly tuned LT-1 could be easily outpaced by a healthy and well tuned 300hp engine. LT-1 engines, being finicky by nature, were not good performers if neglected . Out of adjustment valves, timing, and lack of general tuning would make an LT-1 a turd in short order. On another note, there have been advancements made in forensics that may be used for bringing out numbers that have been decked off an original block. Ive heard of several instances where they have met with success in identifying blocks of this sort.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Block

Quick Reply: LT1 Block