Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 title and vin tag

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:35 PM
damon74
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 title and vin tag

I have a parts car 74 vette that someone came up to me and asked if I and willing to sell the vin and title, I asked him why and he said why and he said he bought it with no title and put it almost all together but can not license or insure it without a title and he cant get a rebuilt title the way it set up due to emissions. I said that it seemed sketchy and he offered to show me the car and while I was there I can call in to make sure it wasn't stolen(which he said he already verified). I told him that I would have to make sure its fine but what I want to know is if it is legal to sell him the title and vin tag(was already removed by previous owner) and not the rest of the car like I bought it. Also how much is it worth? I bought the parts car for around $1,500 and have no use for the frame or body anymore so if I cant just sell the vin tag and title,would it be ok to sell the body and frame with it? and how much would that be worth(body is in primer and frame is painted)?
Old 02-18-2017, 08:41 PM
restoman1
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

The buying and selling of VIN tags is a federal crime, so that's your answer.

Ed
Old 02-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Sell him the parts car, what he does with it is on him.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:00 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Sell him the parts car, what he does with it is on him.
Well, now that the op posted it in public he admits he knows this buyers intentions so selling him even the full project is now dicey,

But why isnt this in general section...
Old 02-18-2017, 10:12 PM
damon74
3rd Gear

Alright, I will stay away from it does not seem worth the risk since the title is in my name. Sorry about posting(first time posting) in the wrong section just thought its a question about a part of the car and didn't really pay attention to the details.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:45 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

same thing happened to me with a 74, guy needed just the tag & title, I sold him the whole thing and made him take it all...nothing illegal about that, what he does with it is none of your concern.

PS: you should be posting questions on the C-3 general page not on the parts 4 sale page

Last edited by redvetracr; 02-18-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 AM
damon74
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by redvetracr
same thing happened to me with a 74, guy needed just the tag & title, I sold him the whole thing and made him take it all...nothing illegal about that, what he does with it is none of your concern.

PS: you should be posting questions on the C-3 general page not on the parts 4 sale page
If its illegal to sell it I am guessing it is not a good idea to even be part of it even if I sell him the whole thing so I would rather not especially for like what? $1,000, not worth it.
...ya already said sorry about posting in the wrong place, already asked a mod to move or remove it.

Last edited by damon74; 02-19-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:53 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by damon74
If its illegal to sell it I am guessing it is not a good idea to even be part of it even if I sell him the whole thing so I would rather not especially for like what? $1,000, not worth it.
...ya already said sorry about posting in the wrong place, already asked a mod to move or remove it.
Not your fault dont worry about it, just discussions get sales all convoluted,

If the buyer says he has illegal intentions and you fall back on full sale of cage body and tilte and he breaks laws uses just the vin tag gets popped he can drag you down if he said you knew his plan and sold it to him Anyway, your word against his, will it happen? Will you get in trouble? Is it worth the risk?
Just sell the whole works to the next cat...like howard says what he does isnt your concern.

Last edited by The13Bats; 02-19-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:10 AM
restoman1
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, the OP has posted his knowledge of what the buyer is intending on a PUBLIC forum, so it would be highly advisable for him to tell the seller he's not interested.

I'm no lawyer, but I DO know from being a core member of the Camaro Research Group that anything placed on a public forum could be susceptible to legal action. Unfortunately, we've had to go down that road a few times!

Ed

Last edited by restoman1; 02-19-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 74 title and vin tag

Quick Reply: 74 title and vin tag