Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brodix heads/Roller cam/roller rockers FS

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 08:10 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brodix heads/Roller cam/roller rockers FS

I'm done with SBC stuff for a while.

I have a set of Brodix heads. These are the second ever made Dragon Slayer heads. I bought them after returning from the Gulf War in 1991. Brodix hand made this head set for me personally from a set of '10' castings.
I have flow bench tested them (I lost the chart a long time ago), they flowed better than Bow Tie heads with 195 CC ports. I believe the heads have ports smallyer than 195 CC and are a high velocity design.

These are not made from the cheap modern day 'Dragon Slayer' head castings. these are the full thickness 10's which were the precurser to the 8 series and are hand stamped "8FSH" These can be converted to direct fuel injection (IE: grand prix cars use this same head with injection from the bosses between the exhaust ports). They have raised valve cover bosses. The factory C3 L82 valve cover (minus oil seperator baffle) fit perfectly with the harland sharp 1.6 7/16 full roller rockers. (I used my 1979 L82 valve covers on them). They are fitted with 7/16 studs with stepped guide plates. Set up for 2.02/1.60 with big valve spring pockets. I have a used set of Comp Cams double springs (125 PSI seat pressure) and associated stuff. The heads need to be decked about .010 and a valve job should be done (no valves...sorry) . New valve guide seals are needed, and one valve guide boss was machined lower than the others due to a POS crane valve spring that broke way back. It's your option to replace the guides or keep what it has...the guides worked fine for me for about 3 years before the motor was torn down.

The cam is a schneider Racing custom hyd roller grind I had made under work order 28075. Specs are: .350" lobe lift, .230º Int., 236º Exh @ .050" Intake opens at 2º BTDC, closes at 48º ABDC, Exh opens at 55º BBDC and closes at 1º ATDC, Lobe seperation is 115º, Intake to be installed at 113º This is the second cam with these specs that I had Schneider grind for me and is still new in the box (never installed)

The rocker arms are 7/16 stud 1.6 ratio Harland Sharp full rollers and I will give you the Cloyes true roller chains set machined for and with the roller/needle thrust bearing, and the bronze roller cam thrust button.

Wiith these heads and cam (you will need a set of retrofit hydraulic roller lifters), on a 383 SBC with a set of Hooker supercomps (with opened exhaust) ; a Torker 2 manifold and a distributor set to 19º @ 2000RPM and 32º at 3500 RPM (use a HEI curve set with spring limited to about 1/2 movement or a Unilite with limit set at 13º you will make an honest 500 HP with over 500 Ft-Lbs torque, and over 400 Ft-Lbs's torque from 2000 RPM to over 6000 RPM. With mufflers and full exhaust it will make just barely under 500 HP.

I had this combo in my 79 (with the 900 CFM Holley Projection 4 EFI) and ran mid 11 second 1/4 mi times at Virginia, on street tires with the mufflers with a 2000 RPM STOCK L82 TH 350 torque converter ( I drove back and forth to the track ) This combo absolutely rules on the street...even idles smooth (which lured many a rustang into embarrassment)

I can take pictures if your interested. I want to get about $700 for the whole set and I do not want to ship the stuff...you can come pick them up if your near Jacksonville.

You wont get any better street performance from a SBC unless you want to shell out about $2500+ (as in supercharger)

Eamil me if interested. wkhunter@bellsouth.net

[Modified by BBA, 8:12 PM 7/2/2004]

[Modified by BBA, 8:14 PM 7/2/2004]
Old 08-02-2004, 10:14 PM
BBA
Safety Car

This deal is one in a million...if you plan on building a badass smallblock...you might might want to consider thes heads.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:44 AM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT

I think the unavailability of shipping would persuade quite a few people.

EDIT: Just out of curiousity, what kind of MPH were you running?

Last edited by VETDRMS; 08-04-2004 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:03 AM
BBA
Safety Car

I was running a 112-120 MPH trap. the 60' wasnt so good, using a 2000 RPM stall converter since it was my only car at the time and I drove to work everyday. I did experiment with few higher stall converters but had too much problems with traction and I didnt like the feel. But still, 11 seconds with a 2000 RPM converter- I wasnt complaining too much.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:05 AM
BBA
Safety Car

...Looks like I have a buyer now.

Im almost completely out of the sbc business...I think I need to buy a C5 now
Old 08-08-2004, 07:09 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a nice set-up.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:47 PM
BBA
Safety Car

SOLD
Old 10-12-2004, 09:44 AM
tgracer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My lesson learned....

Just an FYI for those of you purchasing parts on the forums...

First, let me say that I've had several really good experiences with other transactions on here so there are some great people on this forum. But this particular seller proved to be an exception. On this deal, (for which he was firm on the $700) he left out some of the parts he promised in the posting and his follow-up emails. Then to top it off, after a close inspection, one of the heads needs a new valve seat to be useable. His reply after several attempts to get him to supply the missing parts (I didn't even ask him to pay for the new seat) was a simple I'll send the guy I sold the car to an email to see if he has them but "all I can say is sorry". That was three weeks ago... So basically it's my tough luck... Fortunately, it's not huge $$s but definitely a lesson learned.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:44 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, sorry to hear it. I too have had a lot of great transactions with people on this forum. Maybe he'll come through...
Did you have any plans to have the heads flowed?
What you putting them on?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:03 AM
tgracer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks VETDRMS. Unfortunately, he seems to have no intention of making things right.

We're not going to flow test them as it's a father/son project and we're on a tight budget. They're going on a '68 convertible that needs a lot of work.

Get notified of new replies

To Brodix heads/Roller cam/roller rockers FS

Quick Reply: Brodix heads/Roller cam/roller rockers FS