C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace timing chain cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 09:55 AM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to replace timing chain cover?

Do you have to remove the oil pan to get a leak free joint when replacing the timing chain cover? Chevy shop manual says no but I can't see how you get a tight joint with oil pan in place.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:14 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

They have kits for replacing just the timing cover. Comes with two shorty oil pan seals. When I do it I just losen the oil pan bolts and put a wooden wedge at the front side to pry it down about 1/2". This will allow you to remove the timing cover "up and out". I have in the past just trimmed off the lower edge of the inner lip of the timing cover flange so you don't have to hassle with the reinstall, but even without this trim job it still goes fairly easily. Lotsa silicone at the pan to cover area.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:46 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Silicon
Old 02-04-2005, 11:23 AM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of those fel-pro 1 piece oil pan gaskets made of neopreme. I think if you have one of those your chances of replacing the timing cover only would be better as its a reuseable type of gasket.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:36 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I your motor is stock like mine is (94k miles). My front seal was leaking also, I replaced the timing chain with a Cloyes True Double Roller and oil pump with a Melling 55A with steel shaft and also used the one peice fel-pro gasket.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:04 PM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

After discussing this with a mechanic I changed mine without dropping it . I just loosened enough to get it in place. No leakage. I don't have any idea if that was original gasket or not. I'm assuming so.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Vette X 3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine w/o even loosening the oil pan bolts, but it wasn't easy. As others have said, use plenty of silicon and by using a large pair of channel lock pliers. you can squeeze between the pan and the cover enough where it will seat-and stay seated- on both sides.

Dropping the pan a tad will make it an easy one-person job sans any cussin'

Bill
Old 02-04-2005, 04:32 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whom ever didn't want to pull the timing cover, do you know that the stock timing chain is plastic in a lot of our cars If you know the chain was changed that fine, if not you'll looking for trouble. Plus your oil pump is old which also has a plastic piece on the shaft. Not to mention new gaskets and you can paint the cover and pan...
Old 02-04-2005, 06:38 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mvftw
Whom ever didn't want to pull the timing cover, do you know that the stock timing chain is plastic in a lot of our cars If you know the chain was changed that fine, if not you'll looking for trouble. Plus your oil pump is old which also has a plastic piece on the shaft. Not to mention new gaskets and you can paint the cover and pan...
Chain is metal, gear may be plastic (nylon).
Old 02-05-2005, 12:01 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

When you get the timing cover off, trim the ends of the inner lip at an angle to make it easier to reinstall. You'll see how when you have it apart. Joe
Old 02-05-2005, 04:38 PM
redc3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe73vette
When you get the timing cover off, trim the ends of the inner lip at an angle to make it easier to reinstall. You'll see how when you have it apart. Joe
thats right. but i gotta add that the pan is SOOOO easy to remove on a vette, why not remove it? look around in there and clean that pan up so itll be purtty
Old 02-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glen242
Chain is metal, gear may be plastic (nylon).

I replaced mine with a two piece chrome timing chain cover so that if I ever need to take the cover off again I won't have to worry about the oil pan problem. I also replaced my oil pan and timing chain while I was at. I put in a Cloyes Street True Double Roller timing chain. My old original chain was stretched to hell, couldn't believe the factory put a plastic cam gear in there.

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace timing chain cover?

Quick Reply: How to replace timing chain cover?