C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about hub and wheel centric wheel adapters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Question about hub and wheel centric wheel adapters?

I've exchanged emails and instant messages with several forum members as it relates to wheel adapters. I just purchased C5 wagon wheels, first pair just arrived today, and will be using wheel adapters to compensate for the backspace (offset). I'm not exactly sure which size I will need but most likely feel it will be 2.5".

My question is... I can't find wheel adapters over 2" in width that are both wheel and hub centric. I did find some that are hub centric only. As I understand it, having both wheel and hub centric adapters are the best. If I go with hub centric only, are there any pitfalls? I assume that there will be more load on the wheel studs from the adapter to the wheel but I only cruise...no racing or autocross. I belive the VB&P wheel adapters are only hub centric. I know there are a few folks on the board that are drag racing with adapters, so I would love to hear from you.

I am only interested in information that is helpful, so please don't respond if your only input is why you don't like adapters.

Last edited by Frankenvette; 02-23-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:29 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

As you said.... if the adapters don't have a hub that the rim can sit on, then all the load (f. e. hitting a pothole) transfers right into the studs... they will come loose or break off the adapter.

I hope you received the one email that I sent you with the photos attached - any hubcentric adapter that is made for a Chevy bolt pattern will not fit the front axle on our Vettes because there is a tapered section next to the axle's hub. I took a file and made the adapter's inner contour fit the axle, this weakens the lip on the adapter slightly (this is that part of the adapter that the rim sits on)... this is not great but still better than no lip at all...

You may be ok with a 2" adapter - just to make sure it fits you could jack the front up, take the front wheels off, support the front under the control arms (wooden blocks or jackstands)and hold the new wheels on the car with a 2" thick piece of wood (example) between rim and mounting surface...

Old 02-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Thanks...I did get your email. Just wanted to get as many thoughts as possible.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:52 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this guy is awesome (fred) and he can make you hubcentric
any size you want, and they will be true to
give him a call.
http://www.wheeladapter.com/contact_us.asp
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MEGLADON
give him a call.

If you are going to spend the bucks for adapters might as well have them made right. Fred made a set for me a while back. You can bet the C5 wheels won't have the same hub dimensions as our hubs. About all aftermarket wheels have oversized holes so they will fit any hub size. They won"t fit "hub" centric, they will only fit "lug" centric. To make them fit properly you will have to buy hub centric rings like these...www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp. Fred could machine the adapter to the correct dimensions of the C5 wheels so you won't have to use these. For you guys running aftermarket wheels without spacers or adapters, you need these hub centric rings also. If not your wheels will only fit lug centric meaning that you have to hold the wheel in place to line the wheel up to run your lugnuts up. If anyone thinks I'm wrong about this let me know.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MEGLADON
give him a call.

Just filled out an online quote to see what he charges. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:03 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

I would call him first, tell him what your doing.
he does this all the time, trust me.
he will give you a quote on the phone.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:06 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Older Than Dirt
If you are going to spend the bucks for adapters might as well have them made right. Fred made a set for me a while back. You can bet the C5 wheels won't have the same hub dimensions as our hubs. About all aftermarket wheels have oversized holes so they will fit any hub size. They won"t fit "hub" centric, they will only fit "lug" centric. To make them fit properly you will have to buy hub centric rings like these...www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp. Fred could machine the adapter to the correct dimensions of the C5 wheels so you won't have to use these. For you guys running aftermarket wheels without spacers or adapters, you need these hub centric rings also. If not your wheels will only fit lug centric meaning that you have to hold the wheel in place to line the wheel up to run your lugnuts up. If anyone thinks I'm wrong about this let me know.

Great link - thanks !! I need some of these to fit some aftermarket rims on my wife's car.

I swapped adapters between my 99 Camaro and the Corvette, the hub diameter is the same. It was actually a tighter fit on the Vette but that was probably rust on the axle's hub..

Always take measurements before installing aftermarket or non OEM stuff !! Better safe than sorry...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:12 PM
JRODDVETTE
Racer

i have vette brakes adapters on my car and they are wheel and hub centric.
i drag race my car all the time and i have had zero problems.
jared
Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by JRODDVETTE
i have vette brakes adapters on my car and they are wheel and hub centric.
i drag race my car all the time and i have had zero problems.
jared

If they offer hubcentric adapters then they need to update the photos in their catalog and website.... I would have bought from them if the price is right...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBad1979
Great link - thanks !! I need some of these to fit some aftermarket rims on my wife's car.

I swapped adapters between my 99 Camaro and the Corvette, the hub diameter is the same. It was actually a tighter fit on the Vette but that was probably rust on the axle's hub..

Always take measurements before installing aftermarket or non OEM stuff !! Better safe than sorry...

You are right about the tapered section on our front axles. My adapters lacked about 3/16" of going all the way against the rotor. I called Fred told him the problem and sent two of them back. He remachined them to what we discussed over the phone and sent them back. They worked perfect and he refunded the shipping charges I paid. He said he would put that info into his computer for future reference on the front adapters.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:27 PM
JRODDVETTE
Racer

i bought mine about 3 years ago, so maybe they changed them.

i checked the vb&p website and that looks like a pretty generic photo they use, i would call them to be sure.

Last edited by JRODDVETTE; 02-23-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:40 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Older Than Dirt
You are right about the tapered section on our front axles. My adapters lacked about 3/16" of going all the way against the rotor. I called Fred told him the problem and sent two of them back. He remachined them to what we discussed over the phone and sent them back. They worked perfect and he refunded the shipping charges I paid. He said he would put that info into his computer for future reference on the front adapters.

fred's website was successfully added to my favorites....

I used a file to re-machine my adapters..... thank god these are made from aluminum and not steel..... it took a while but now it's a perfect fit

Get notified of new replies

To Question about hub and wheel centric wheel adapters?

Quick Reply: Question about hub and wheel centric wheel adapters?