C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRW vs. VBP composite spring results

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 03:36 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TRW vs. VBP composite spring results

Ok, I know this topic has been beat to death but I wanted to post some findings from my replacement of my TRW spring @ 315lbs. with a VBP spring @ 349lbs. using 8" bolts., you can request a differant spring rate from VBP. I wanted to switch to a stiffer spring for less squat at launching. Removal and install was a snap, when I had both springs out and standing next to each other the TRW spring was 2 3/8" taller than the VBP spring measuring @ top of spring only, with no spacers or pads.
Before the rear on my 73 vert was high at 28 3/8" @ top of fender, now it's dropped over 1"+ and close to OEM height which is listed @ 27". I don't have the spare/carrier installed which accounts for 50+lbs. and the half shafts now are perfectly parallel to the ground. Hope this helps, again these are some findings that I found interesting....
Old 02-26-2005, 05:21 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

That's good news - please post a photo....

Is the spring rate of 349lbs one of their 'standard' springs or did you request that ??? ...or is it a typo and should be 340lbs ??
Old 02-26-2005, 05:45 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedBad1979
That's good news - please post a photo....

Is the spring rate of 349lbs one of their 'standard' springs or did you request that ??? ...or is it a typo and should be 340lbs ??
Actually when speaking to Tony at VBP he suggested they have various spring rates, and after explaining what I was looking for he recommended a 360lb. spring that was lower in spring rate, so they sent me one at 349lbs., marked on the spring. seems to be fine with the Bilstein shocks i'm using.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:04 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

thanks for the update as many of us have been reading these posts about ride height.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

They probably measure the spring rate after it's manufactured to ensure that it's close to the rating that they sell it at.

Thanks for the info. I'm very tempted to ditch this TRW spring in my car for a VBP. I shoulda bought that one in the first place. (Anyone want to buy a 340# TRW spring? It rides nice but it's just too high for my liking.)
Old 02-27-2005, 12:13 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
They probably measure the spring rate after it's manufactured to ensure that it's close to the rating that they sell it at.

Thanks for the info. I'm very tempted to ditch this TRW spring in my car for a VBP. I shoulda bought that one in the first place. (Anyone want to buy a 340# TRW spring? It rides nice but it's just too high for my liking.)
Hey Scooter,

Don't sell your's till I get rid of mine. Suddenly, there will be a flood on 340# TRW spings. Of course, we might have to go to another Corvette forum to get any buyers since everyone here is so familiar with the controversy.

For 73jst4fun,

What length bolts did you end up using to get the 27" ride height?

Well, there goes my Speed Demon money. New spring and I'll need a new lower jack (mine barely fits now).
Old 02-27-2005, 02:58 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Hey Scooter,

Don't sell your's till I get rid of mine. Suddenly, there will be a flood on 340# TRW spings. Of course, we might have to go to another Corvette forum to get any buyers since everyone here is so familiar with the controversy.

For 73jst4fun,

What length bolts did you end up using to get the 27" ride height?

Well, there goes my Speed Demon money. New spring and I'll need a new lower jack (mine barely fits now).
Streve, I had the 8" grade 8 bolts for the TRW spring and used those which were fine, I use grade 8 bolts also on the HD rear cover, I had to switch the two front bolts to shorter ones, 1/4" shorter because the VBP spring doesn't use all the pads like the TRW spring does. Also I have found I have alittle more clearance by the rear tire from the spring end.....

Get notified of new replies

To TRW vs. VBP composite spring results

Quick Reply: TRW vs. VBP composite spring results