C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68-77 intermittent wipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 11:18 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 68-77 intermittent wipers

I figured out how to get intermittent wipers for around $40 worth of easily obtainable parts and a little wiring. 2 to 20 second variable delay and the control **** can be mounted anywhere, I mounted mine by the wiper controls.

If you do a google search for Corvette Intermittent Wiper you will find the instructions and wiring diagrams. There is more information about holding the wiper door open for 68-72 than is contained in the D.I.Y. just look for it, it's easy to find

David
Old 03-04-2005, 11:25 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I did the exact same mod and placed it in the same spot. I shortened the shaft on the control also.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:34 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jim,

It's one of those modern conveniences that I did not want to live without.

The picture is of the initial mock up. I cut the shaft down for the final and it looks much better.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:05 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Yeah David,

My wipers tended to skip on a light mist rain which was really annoying. Not really skip but herky jerk....slip & grab. The delay really was a help in this regard. Good bang for the buck.

Good post...

Jim
Old 03-04-2005, 12:10 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

How about a link?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:29 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Neat I may try that sometime.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done! You should sell these.
You wouldn't happen to have any larger pics than the ones in the article, would you? (mostly the diagrams)
Scott
Old 01-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nothing like resurrecting a nine year old thread - but that is what the internet is good for - it never forgets...

That said - I did the google search and did not find (at the top of the google list anyway) more detail about this type of upgrade... the link for a 555 timer just showed a chip - no board or dial control?

Updated information?

Carl

Originally Posted by GATOR454
I figured out how to get intermittent wipers for around $40 worth of easily obtainable parts and a little wiring. 2 to 20 second variable delay and the control **** can be mounted anywhere, I mounted mine by the wiper controls.

If you do a google search for Corvette Intermittent Wiper you will find the instructions and wiring diagrams. There is more information about holding the wiper door open for 68-72 than is contained in the D.I.Y. just look for it, it's easy to find

David
Old 01-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Carl in LA
Nothing like resurrecting a nine year old thread - but that is what the internet is good for - it never forgets...

That said - I did the google search and did not find (at the top of the google list anyway) more detail about this type of upgrade... the link for a 555 timer just showed a chip - no board or dial control?

Updated information?

Carl
Here's some ideas- Haven't had time to mess w/ my wipers - but here's a couple things I am looking at- Finally finished my electric wiper door conversion using a Power Seat motor-

A PWM-like $12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-10V-30V-Reversible-Switching-PWM-DC-Controller-/111311405040?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19eaad3ff0&vxp=mtr

or a a delay timer-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300949203612...AMEBIDX%3AIT\\

Or this-

http://www.revolutionelectronics.com...-wiper-module/

DSCN3839 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

DSCN4655 by richardhayes454, on Flickr
Old 01-11-2015, 06:22 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by jimvette999

I did the exact same mod and placed it in the same spot. I shortened the shaft on the control also.
I can make a low cost module that will worked perfect with very little mods. The issue I've not been able to over-come is the arm timing.

If you look at the 78-82 cars with delay, they have a timer pad made on the wiper motor cover which tells the controller the exact position of the arms... This prevents the arms from stopping in the wrong position on the windshield.... Am I over-thinking this? Do the arms get out of sync Jim?

Ernie
Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Double pole double throw?

One side circuits the intermitent downstream to the yellow wire and the other side is just a pass through like a normal yellow wire. When you are ready to seat the wipers switch the double pole to the "stock" side and just move the stock wiper switch to off and they seat - true?

And... glad to have an expert respond to my question. Appreciate that.

Carl

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I can make a low cost module that will worked perfect with very little mods. The issue I've not been able to over-come is the arm timing.

If you look at the 78-82 cars with delay, they have a timer pad made on the wiper motor cover which tells the controller the exact position of the arms... This prevents the arms from stopping in the wrong position on the windshield.... Am I over-thinking this? Do the arms get out of sync Jim?

Ernie
Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I did the search and it led me to this thread.
If only OP did post an actual link...
Old 01-14-2015, 12:47 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default wiper cowl door

Originally Posted by GATOR454

David
There is a pull down vacuum switch below the steering column that will raise the windshield wiper cowl door on the early C3's. Leaving the cowl up and using RainX is what I use.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:05 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Maybe 2 decades ago I put int. wipers on my '72, filled in and drilled the OEM mounting, for a 10k Radio shack volume control in the center, a red washer button to the left, and a toggle switch to the right that went to high speed, instead of int/lo speed....if you want just steady LO speed, just turn the control down to no time-out on the control....so it keeps cycling, goes up to about ten seconds between swipes.....

Yes, it's a 555 timer with a transistor to close the power relay to the motor....the blades do go to park every swipe, so if on intermittent operation, all I need do is turn them off when 'parked' and so lower the door, whole project took maybe a day/8 hours time, thing is, I lost the wiring diagrams years ago....but all you need is some electronics smarts and a 555 timer chip....easy as pie.....

Last edited by mrvette; 01-14-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:18 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
Maybe 2 decades ago I put int. wipers on my '72, filled in and drilled the OEM mounting, for a 10k Radio shack volume control in the center, a red washer button to the left, and a toggle switch to the right that went to high speed, instead of int/lo speed....if you want just steady LO speed, just turn the control down to no time-out on the control....so it keeps cycling, goes up to about ten seconds between swipes.....

Yes, it's a 555 timer with a transistor to close the power relay to the motor....the blades do go to park every swipe, so if on intermittent operation, all I need do is turn them off when 'parked' and so lower the door, whole project took maybe a day/8 hours time, thing is, I lost the wiring diagrams years ago....but all you need is some electronics smarts and a 555 timer chip....easy as pie.....

Can you do a video for us
Old 01-14-2015, 11:09 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Appreciate the tips... don't do much at the transistor level - I'm more of a concrete and steel guy - but perhaps this will be a good introduction to wiring electronic components into a system.

easy as pie... uhh huh - we shall see about that

Carl

Originally Posted by mrvette

Old 01-15-2015, 09:27 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

I have a few rookie questions about this ancient pic:

What year car does the switch bezel appear to be out of?

What colors are the switch wires on a 1968 car?

How do 1968 switch wire colors compare to those shown in the above pic?

Could the wires shown in the pic be a clue as to the intermittent controller that he used?

I read that 1968 wipers have to "PARK" each time they swipe when an intermittent controller is connected to them....true?

Thanks, doorgunner

Get notified of new replies

To 68-77 intermittent wipers

Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Wiring diagrams are written in Greek.....does this one make sense to anyone?

Can it work on a 1968 wiper motor....or would it need to be modified/how?

Inquiring minds want to know .............

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-15-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Here's another one from Gator454.....does it make any sense to you guys?

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-15-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:58 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

Ernie
Hi Ernie,

Just happened across this thread and saw your question. Answer is no out of sync but they do return to home position after each pulse unlike factory setups that keep the wipers in the "prepared to swipe" position. It causes no problem for me, just not "factory" like. No out of sync issues.... it's simply automatically initiating wipers to on position then off. If I have the factory lever in fast mode they operate in a timed swipe in a fast swipe, slow is a slow swipe speed. Hope this answers your question. BTW, thanks for being such an active and helpful Supporting Vendor to our great forum. I know many of us appreciate you.
Best regards,
Jim

Red LED illuminates when pulse activates.

Last edited by jimvette999; 01-15-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 68-77 intermittent wipers