C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you polish aluminum ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 06:19 PM
blackshark82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine for the first time last weekend. Did 2 Saturday and 2 Sunday with lots of other errands, chores etc in between. Spent about 1.5 hours each. Used the car's jack to remove 1 at a time and set it on a Black & Decker Workmate, whcih is about waist high. Polished with Mothers Aluminum cleaner and with buffing arbors I bought at a local auto body supply shop. I used 3" mushroom shapes for most of the wheel an a small cone shape that I picked up at a swap meet for the outer edge and tight spots. Cleaned the polish off with towels and buffed with a fresh mushroom. Replaced the center caps, lug nuts and remounted. Some came out better than others because I used more polish. I'll probably pull the 2 worst ones again during the summer, but they look a lot better. The mushrooms cost me $12 each and the cones $3 each.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:52 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

The previous messages about polishing aluminum were really great.

Now,...any advice, suggestions about restoring aluminum if it has pit marks? I would imagine some of the aluminum wheels people are trying to restore have pitting. My 1969 factory sidepipe covers (cast aluminum) and my 1970 front grills (cast aluminum) have some slight pitting. Oh...when I referred to the previous parts as being cast aluminum, please understand that they have been chrome plated at the factory. Removing pits involves removing the chrome plating (easy to do at a chrome shop)...but what next?? Any good suggestions about this?

Thanks

Quick Reply: How do you polish aluminum ?