C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bird Cage Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 08:23 PM
cannonfl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird Cage Parts

Anyone know a good place to purchase birdcage parts?

I have a 68 vert that was wreaked on the driver's side right behind the door. The cage is crimpled, rusted and no longer connected to the rest of the cage. The rail under the door is in bad shape too.

I'm lifting the body off the frame next weekend.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I think this place would be able to help you out on this one. They claim to be the largest manufacturer of Corvette sheet metal parts. Sounds like you are in for a major project there, are you sure it's worth fixing?

http://www.vetteproducts.net/

You also might want to check around in salvage yards, maybe somewhere there is a side clip?
Old 03-13-2005, 03:28 AM
cannonfl
Instructor

Thanks for the info.

The damge is limited to the part of the cage that the door strike plate is connected to. That section is no longer connected to the rocker section that runs under the door. Plus the #3 body mount bracket on the sill is rusted away. So, will need a replacement for that section too. I can also see a lot of body work on the rear quarter panel in that area as well. A lot of bondo. Maybe I'll just cut that section off and order a replacement panel. Fiberglass panels are easy to find ... Just having a hard time finding bird cage components.

Here's a diagram of the components I need:

I've had the car for 15 years ( parked in my garage ). I promised my son that when he turned 16 we would work on it together. He was six at the time. He turned 16 in January, and came to collect on my promise. So, I'm not about to give up on this car just yet. I will say that I felt a tight knot in my stomach when I found the hidden damage today. Hopefully, it won't be too difficult to replace since it's a convertible.

Frank

Last edited by cannonfl; 03-13-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:32 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Fish
I think this place would be able to help you out on this one. They claim to be the largest manufacturer of Corvette sheet metal parts. Sounds like you are in for a major project there, are you sure it's worth fixing?

http://www.vetteproducts.net/

You also might want to check around in salvage yards, maybe somewhere there is a side clip?
These guys only charge $1.00 for a T-Top. Sounds like my kind of place!

Rick B.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:10 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cannonfl
Anyone know a good place to purchase birdcage parts?

I have a 68 vert that was wreaked on the driver's side right behind the door. The cage is crimpled, rusted and no longer connected to the rest of the cage. The rail under the door is in bad shape too.

What part of the country are you in?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Be extremely careful doing your lift. If that steel is all broken loose you could have problems with the integrity of the body during the lift. Here is a link to plans for a body dolly:

http://home.earthlink.net/~steverieb...3bodydolly.jpg
Old 03-13-2005, 11:27 PM
cannonfl
Instructor

I'm located in the Tampa Bay area.

I was able to find the rocker channels on a few different websites, but the door pillar is another story all together. I may just try to fix the one on the car the best I can with scrap steel. What type of weld should I use on these parts?

I had already thought about the rear end just snapping off, so I'm going to be as careful as I can. I'm lifting the body with a lift strap running all the way under the body behind the doors, and 2 others connected to the lower door hinge bolts on each side of the car. I've removed the doors and am using 2x4s to brace the openings.

Some of you might think, "Damn, glad it's not me!!!" But, I love this stuff. Sure beats sitting in front of a computer all day programming in Java ( my day job ), and I'm having a lot of fun with my son.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:55 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

A CI-6 Car Show Winner

In the link I gave you, I am pretty sure that I saw that latch pillar post listed, but there were no pictures. I would call them on that part, or e-mail them your drawing.

Doing a restoration on your car with your son will be a great experience, you both will learn a lot. Both my sons went through similar experiences, but they were into motorcycles. Take a lot of pictures, you can't go back and get them later.

1968 frames had some issues with cracking around the kickup area. The problem was corrected by the 1969 model year. Those people at vette products could probably make some recommendations on the extra bracing that's required to correct the problem.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:59 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On your door parts, I don't think anyone is reproing those. You probably have to go used or fix what you have. I you look on Ebay, good cowl back bodies go cheap (around $100). You could probably buy one and have the parts you need cut out cheaply. For a vert you can get the parts you need from any 68-82. I know people in Atlanta and Ft. Lauderdale that would have your parts used.

If you want new, look at Corvette Central or Caldonia, probably others too. Keep watching Ebay. Try Hemmings.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

There's a Corvette salvage yard "Sunshine Corvette" in Dade City near you. Frank Yager is the owner and has many C-3 vettes in his yard. Maybe you can get what you need there.

Sunshine Corvette #352-567-4452

Jim
Old 03-14-2005, 10:22 PM
cannonfl
Instructor

Thanks Jim, Dade City is 8 miles from my home!

I will call tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:32 PM
cannonfl
Instructor

Small world!

My wife went to school with Frank Yager's daughter Carey-Anne, and now she's my son's teacher! We didn't know about the Corvette Salvage yard. You have helped so much - THANKS!

Frank
Old 03-15-2005, 08:04 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Small world!

My wife went to school with Frank Yager's daughter Carey-Anne, and now she's my son's teacher! We didn't know about the Corvette Salvage yard. You have helped so much - THANKS!

Frank
You're quite welcome.
I hope he's still there...I haven't called them in quite a while...about 3 years. He had many C-3's there and a big barn fill of pulled parts. Best of luck to ya!

Jim
Old 03-15-2005, 08:48 PM
67-73-76
Instructor

I'm also in the Tampa Bay area. I know its a little late now but I bought two complete rocker channels (one for each side) with vertical extensions at the front and rear at this year's NCRS show in Orlando.

I would be interested in seeing the damage you have and the in- progress work as you perform it. I need to do essentially the same repair as you are going to do only mine is rust damge, not wreck damage.

I know of a 74 coupe in our area that is in the process of being parted out. The birdcage and fiberglass? pieces you need are probably available and would probably be priced very reasonable.

Frank Yeager is well known in the area and definetly has the birdcage and fiberglass? pieces you need. However, he might expect you to remove them yourself while the car is in a field and working in the dirt.

My contact still has the car in a garage on jackstands and has the tools you would need.

If this sounds like something you may be interested in and want to explore this option, please contact me. My email address is in my profile.

I'm not looking to gain anything here except meeting someone who will be performing the same corvette surgery as I am faced with.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:43 PM
vette_newb
Instructor

I know of a 74 coupe in our area that is in the process of being parted out. The birdcage and fiberglass? pieces you need are probably available and would probably be priced very reasonable.
i would be interested in seeing if this fellow's '74 had solid metal around the windshield and down to where the birdcage connects at the #2 body mount....especially on the right side.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:01 PM
cannonfl
Instructor

Originally Posted by 67-73-76
Thanks for the info. I plan to lift the body this weekend, and will start work on the frame soon after. It has some rot in front of each rear wheel and the cross member too.

I doubt I'll be working on the rocker channels for a few months, but still would like to have the parts for my peace of mind. I'm planning to remove the fiberglass rocker sills and part way up the door jam to the latch to get to the bird cage components that need replacing. I've never done anything like this before, so if you're looking for help from me, it would be the blind leading the blind. If that doesn't phase you ... Welcome!

Get notified of new replies

To Bird Cage Parts

Quick Reply: Bird Cage Parts