C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will clean up my carb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Boston!
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What will clean up my carb?

Getting started on the Q-jet rebuild tonight. It's pretty crusty, and I think I should soak it in something to take a layer of rust & corrosion off and loosten it up before I start the rebuild. Any suggestions? Vinegar? CLR?

-=Boston!=-
Old 03-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc. sells carb cleaner you can soak your carb in.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:36 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B-9 Chemtool. Comes in a gallon-size paint can. Works like a charm. But keep it out of the house -- it stinks!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Master Ho
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by page62
B-9 Chemtool. Comes in a gallon-size paint can. Works like a charm. But keep it out of the house -- it stinks!!!
Don't breathe the vapors or let the stuff sit on your skin, or it'll make you null and void...
Old 03-14-2005, 05:47 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Carb cleaners will have no effect at all on corrosion. The only thing I've found that will remove rust from the steel parts and corrosion from the aluminum parts is phosphoric acid. It's available as "metal prep" from most auto paint & body supply stores. You can mix it up and soak the parts in it for a short time: the parts will "boil" as the acid eats the rust and corrosion off. Using rubber gloves, you can then scrub the parts with a bristle brush and re-soak untilk the rust and corrosion is gone. Do note, however, that once done, you will have bare metal surfaces that will, once again, rust and corrode. The acid will eat away all of the gold coloring off your carb. You can re-apply this coating by dipping the carb parts in an Alodine Conversion Coat.

PPG part number for the acid etch is DX579. Part number for the gold conversion coating is DX503.

Get notified of new replies

To What will clean up my carb?

Quick Reply: What will clean up my carb?